android
Old 08-08-2006, 01:38 AM

Default Anyone else having problems with Zen Nano Plus?

I am on my third Zen Nano Plus. Here is what seems to be wrong with all of them:

Fit and finish- You would think if a company, any company (including Apple)could make a techological wonder like an Mp3 player, that they would be able to put a finish on it that doesn't scratch when you breathe on it. Aso, the battery comparment door WILL eventually fail, due to a ridiculously flimsy piece of plastic that keps it intact.

On to the 'technological wonder' side of these players- In all three players, I have never gotten over 7 hours of battery time. I've downloaded a gig of wma's and played then continuously, and the best I've gotten is just under 7 hours; the worse was just about 6 hours. A far cry from the advertised 18 hrs.

Here is the really dumb problem these units seem to exhibit. After the battery dies, if you don't replace it, eventually, over a period of a few hours, all your files will disappear! Hey Creative! What the hell is up with that??? great flash drive guys!

I believe there is something inherently wrong with this model, and not that I was just unlucky to have gotten three bad ones. If true, this level of false advertising on capability and the level of inferior workmanship is just screaming for a class action lawsuit. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone else who has experienced similar problems.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-09-2006, 03:46 PM

I bought one for my grandaughter last Christmas and it has been absolutely perfect. I even got one for myself because I don't like using an HDD unit in the boat due to vibrations. It has been absolutely flawless. Battery life is around 20 hours, sound quality is great, absolutely no problems whatever.

Seems like maybe you are either to hard on it or are expecting something it's not. I have never heard of these issues before though.

The Dragon Calls! I must Go!
Canon EOS Rebel XT -- Canon Powershot S5IS

Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 PM

Talking

Don't know how much easier I could have been on these units. I simply took it out of the box, downloaded the files and played it. Creative says your battery life will be shortened if you play wma's instead og mp3's, if you use the equalizer, if you turn the volume up and if you use other headphones other than theirs. Well, I did (gasp!) play wma's, I did (double gasp!) use the equalizer, I also did turn the volume up and use other headphones, cause their heaphones suck (I don't know whose ears those earbuds are supposed to fit it, but I'd hate to actually meet this person in a dark alley!), an the volume is way to low for use with other than noise cancelling earphone that fit in your ear canal.

What I "expect" is to buy a product whose attributes are advertized without hyperbole or exaggeration, and that the product is durable enough to last more than a few months, which is the life span of some of these units as reported by other users, especially on Creative's own forum site.

So Glasstream, just out of curiosity, how long have you worked for Creative?

Old 08-10-2006, 04:30 AM

Never worked for Creative or knew anybody involved. Just my experience. A use 192 kbps mp3s and I don't know anyone that uses the original earbuds. I do use the equalizer and I mostly use Koss KSC35 phones or Sennheiser HD535. If I use my HD660s I have to use an amp but that is required with any portable music player. I occasionally use my Phillips phones, but they are not as comfortable. And I frequently use it for what I got it for, which is powering one of those little FM transmitter thingies and tunes in the boat.

It all works for me.

The Dragon Calls! I must Go!
Canon EOS Rebel XT -- Canon Powershot S5IS

Old 08-11-2006, 05:51 PM

I haven't experienced any of those problems, except for the first one. It is EXTREMELY scratch-prone.

I've gotten the full playtime before..so I think it may the type of battery being used.

For the file loss problem..I'm a lazy asshole and forget to replace the battery on my Nano Plus all the time...but everything's still on it when I do replace that battery..

Old 08-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I honestly can't think of any reason why files would disappear after the battery dies. The flash memory this thing is based on is non-volatile memory - that is, it requires no power to retain its memory. So a dead battery should have nothing to do with file loss.

The estimated battery life is based on a number of factors - playback of low-bitrate MP3's, minimal use of the display's backlight, minimal use of the back/forward buttons, moderate volume settings, etc. These all have a significant effect on battery life. Playing back WMA's is more stressful on the battery because of the extra processor power required to decode their DRM schemes, and because WMA encoding is more complex than MP3 encoding. Finally, the battery itself plays a huge role in its life. Using cheap, "heavy-duty" batteries will yield far less playback time than good, brand-name alkaline batteries. Litium batteries (assuming you can find AAA lithium batteries) will yield playback times well in excess of estimates, but are rather expensive.

As for the scratches... Shiny plastic stuff sells, because everyone wants shiny plastic stuff. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as scratch-resistant shiny plastic. If you're concerned about scratches, you should invest in a skin or a case for your device. You can get one here (honestly, I'm surprised this thing doesn't come with one. My MuVo N200 - which the Nano Plus basically is - came with one).

Old 08-13-2006, 02:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsg
What I "expect" is to buy a product whose attributes are advertized without hyperbole or exaggeration
If you find such a product, hon, could you let me know?

Seriously, Creative did post a disclaimer about their advertised battery life, and you are obviously aware of that. As I explained in another post to you, there are a lot of factors that can affect battery life - not the least of which is the quality of the battery itself, and the ambient temperature of the room it's used in. Neither of which are things that Creative can control.

Old 08-13-2006, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick
As for the scratches... Shiny plastic stuff sells, because everyone wants shiny plastic stuff. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as scratch-resistant shiny plastic. If you're concerned about scratches, you should invest in a skin or a case for your device.
Not really.. the Zen V has pretty shiny plastic while being pretty scratch-resistant as well.

IMO the Zen Nano Plus has no reason to even try to look good.. it's a pretty ugly player no matter which way you look at it.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
there are a lot of factors that can affect battery life - not the least of which is the quality of the battery itself, and the ambient temperature of the room it's used in. Neither of which are things that Creative can control.
Yeah, I even heard Creative said I had to be careful about using the battery when it's dark out on Tuesdays too.

Sorry Zen Chick. Brand new Duracell Ultras used, in a room that is 75 degrees. I submit that anyone getting 18 hrs, is not using this unit under "real world" conditions.

BTW, when did you post something to me before?

Old 08-18-2006, 07:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a problem with the nano's! they suck! lol, just playing...but they are the most complained about Creative product on the Creative message boards. So that should tell you you're not the only one to have problems with it!

Old 08-19-2006, 06:02 PM

Default Wow!

Quote:
I honestly can't think of any reason why files would disappear after the battery dies. The flash memory this thing is based on is non-volatile memory - that is, it requires no power to retain its memory. So a dead battery should have nothing to do with file loss.

The estimated battery life is based on a number of factors - playback of low-bitrate MP3's, minimal use of the display's backlight, minimal use of the back/forward buttons, moderate volume settings, etc. These all have a significant effect on battery life. Playing back WMA's is more stressful on the battery because of the extra processor power required to decode their DRM schemes, and because WMA encoding is more complex than MP3 encoding. Finally, the battery itself plays a huge role in its life. Using cheap, "heavy-duty" batteries will yield far less playback time than good, brand-name alkaline batteries. Litium batteries (assuming you can find AAA lithium batteries) will yield playback times well in excess of estimates, but are rather expensive.

As for the scratches... Shiny plastic stuff sells, because everyone wants shiny plastic stuff. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as scratch-resistant shiny plastic. If you're concerned about scratches, you should invest in a skin or a case for your device. You can get one here (honestly, I'm surprised this thing doesn't come with one. My MuVo N200 - which the Nano Plus basically is - came with one).
Everything I ever wanted to know...thanks. I know about non-volatile memory. Still doesn't alter the fact that I watched it happen; but I agree, it is pretty weird about the files disapperaing.

As for batteries I use fresh Duracell Ultras; I still want to see the actual conditions where someone is getting 18hrs, as I fear it wouldn't be what I consider "real world." But I confess, I do play wma files, and yes I've been guilty of using the buttons...

I agree with the person who said it is an ulgy little player- they should just give it a good old, utilitarian, Type 3 (Type III) Industrial Hard Coat Anodizing and be done with it.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsg

On to the 'technological wonder' side of these players- In all three players, I have never gotten over 7 hours of battery time. I've downloaded a gig of wma's and played then continuously, and the best I've gotten is just under 7 hours; the worse was just about 6 hours. A far cry from the advertised 18 hrs.
This is what's known as moron technology. We have these MP3 player makers using internal 10 hour batteries or AAAs which give very little play time. Some MP3 player makers have come out of the 1960's and are using AA battery powered units with 45-55 hour playtime but these usually suffer from other 1960's tecnology like no resume feature or can't play longer files.

No effort is made to make cell phones or cameras the size of a grain of rice or as flat as a sheet of paper yet people buy these moron tecnology MP3 players with those goals in mind, without any care how short the battery life is.

I am still waiting for a basic MP3 player that uses AA batteirs and can play long files while displaying the correct time in HH:MM:SS format but no MP3 player companies seem to want to come into the 21st Century. Technical incompetence, laziness, or just out of touch with what customers want (No MP3 player maker knows what a podcast or NetLibrary book. All they think an MP3 player is used for is music), that's what we are stuck with

Old 09-06-2006, 08:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatatay
Some MP3 player makers have come out of the 1960's and are using AA battery powered units with 45-55 hour playtime but these usually suffer from other 1960's tecnology like no resume feature or can't play longer files.
I wasn't aware that there were MP3 players in the 1960's. Please enlighten me.

Quote:
No effort is made to make cell phones or cameras the size of a grain of rice or as flat as a sheet of paper...
You haven't gotten your hands on a Motorola RazR yet, have you.

Quote:
...yet people buy these moron tecnology MP3 players with those goals in mind, without any care how short the battery life is.
I am coming close to being rather offended by this remark. I suppose, because I bought two MP3 players - one ZV:M that lasts around 14 hours on a charge, and one MuVo Micro N200 that lasts for close to 20 hours on a single AAA battery - that I'm a moron? Or that I don't care about the battery life?

Let me clue you in on something: Battery life factors quite heavily on how people - especially those on this board - choose their players. To suggest otherwise -- or to suggest that people just buy crap because they don't care -- is either rooted in ignorance or arrogance.

Quote:
I am still waiting for a basic MP3 player that uses AA batteirs and can play long files while displaying the correct time in HH:MM:SS format but no MP3 player companies seem to want to come into the 21st Century. Technical incompetence, laziness, or just out of touch with what customers want (No MP3 player maker knows what a podcast or NetLibrary book. All they think an MP3 player is used for is music), that's what we are stuck with
Now I'm beginning to side with ignorance. It's clear you are unaware of the vast numbers of DAPs that can handle Audible content and - in the case of many Creative DAPs - Podcasts/Zencasts. There are also licencing issues involved when deciding which features to pack into a player - and believe me, there are some patent-holders who think their technology is worth a lot more than many DAP manufacturers are willing to pay - and pass on to their customers.

Now, you're also pinging on the use of AAA vs AA batteries, as if AA batteries are somehow more technologically superior. But, hell, why stop there? Let's have MP3 players that run on D-cells, or - better yet - car batteries!

AAA-size players are very popular among physically-active people because these players were designed to handle the shock and stress of being taken out on workouts. Plus, with their single AAA battery, when it dies, you just stick another one in and keep on going. The AAA size also makes them extremely light and small - perfect for wearing on an armband. Changing the design to accomodate AA batteries would result in a player that is too cumbersome to wear in such a manner.

Oh -- The MuVo Micro N200, the Zen Nano/Nano Plus (amongst others) do display time in HH:MM:SS and handle long files just fine.

*puts on moderator hat*

Look. You have posted pretty much this very same diatribe all over the ABi forums. It's become pointless and is bordering on spamming. Find a point - and fast! And keep it to one discussion. Thank you.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:49 PM

After reading these posts I'm a bit skeptical the OP ever owned a Creative product at all, but to counter some of the claims, the AAA size batteries in the Nano Plus are one of my favorite features. I use rechargeables, and usually carry a spare but if I forget all I gotta do is pick up some more almost anywhere, and they're so lightweight the Nano Plus is not only the size of a lighter, it weighs less, I love that. And personally I find the idea of buying sweaters and such for electronic gadgets a bit "now" and excessive, so they get scratched up, OMG am I gonna get OCD about it now and tap three times, blink and rub my hands together to work through the frustration? Uh no. And I've never lost anything due to the battery running out much less changing it, ever, it doesn't work that way. Everyone has their own idea of what looks good and what doesn't but I also find the Nano Plus attractive, I don't want to make love to it or dress it in clothing, but that's just me. Unless you need video, pictures, or more space and are willing to pay more for a larger, heavier device, I still think the Nano Plus is the most cost effective, fully featured player on the market, but again that's just me.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:30 PM

Hmm...I have a 1GB Zen Nano Plus, and, well, I should probably measure the battery life, since it always seems short-lived. After all, the vast majority of the files on my player are WMAs, and I use Sony headphones, not to mention that I use rechargeable Duracell NiMH AAAs...really, battery life depends on all sorts of variables, which vary depending on the user. I guess the bottom line is that you either use your player differently or just expect more out of it than you should.

Oh, and by the way, why the hell are you whining about just the battery casing breaking? That happened to me, and then not too long after that the player's entire plastic casing split apart and I had to superglue it back together (although since then I've had no problems with it)...at least I had a good time getting to see the insides of my player! Also, I've had my player for a little over nine months (it came in March), and the only aspect of my player I've been having issues with is the FM tuner, which, although it works, gets horrible reception and couldn't autoscan for its life.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

*blink*

Now, how the heck did we get two of these threads???

Guess I'd better close one of them up.

*Ka-chink*