android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Speakers

Old 06-11-2007, 04:43 PM

Lightbulb Freedom Driver: Vibrating Speaker

Hello everybody!

I am going to release this product in the USA and wanted to gauge interest, by asking the experts... you music lovers! First of all, it is entirely different from any speaker on the market today. It virtually turns any flat surface into a speaker. It contains a built in vibrating sound transducer which makes contact on a flat surface to produce sound waves from deep bass and high treble. Its dimensions are compact at approximately 2''W x 2'' H yet it produces large volume and sound quality of larger speakers. The sound quality is truly amazing for such new technology and small dimensions.

Prices are not yet determined but expect it to be near $120. This includes a remote (which allows the user to adjust the bass, treble and volume), speaker, AC plug (110-240V), and a 2.5mm/3.5mm connection cable from the sound source to the speaker.

We are wrapping up composing the user manual and package design and plan to release this product within the next few months and a website that we will open right after release.

Questions? Comments? Shoot them here! If you need more pictures I can provide them! I will be taking more professional pictures this following week and perhaps post a video on youtube.com to demonstrate the technology.

Is there anyone interested in this product? Please provide some feedback!!

Thanks!!!

Last edited by FDriver; 06-11-2007 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Fixed side-scrolling issue

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Insignia Moderator

First thought; $120 for a monaural speaker? I could buy a 5.1 system for that. If it were in $50-$60 range, I might be more interested.

Second, I'd like to see the bottom of this unit. What exactly, makes it different from a down firing speaker?

Old 06-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

This has been on the market for years

Old 06-11-2007, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
First thought; $120 for a monaural speaker? I could buy a 5.1 system for that. If it were in $50-$60 range, I might be more interested.

Second, I'd like to see the bottom of this unit. What exactly, makes it different from a down firing speaker?
I will take some pictures of the bottom of the unit (it is a vibrating transducer pad which is the only contact point to the surface when at use.) Down firing speakers, as I believe, don't have actual contact with the surface they rest on and produce sounds in the same way a conventional speaker produces sounds.

The cost of manufacturing each unit is still very high but please bear in mind that it is not determined yet.

Thanks for your input.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård View Post
This has been on the market for years
I believe you are speaking of the Soundbug http://www.soundbug.biz/ which yes you are right, has been around for years. It is similar in concept but fails to be a product with any merit for sound production, quality, construction and design. It is merely a toy.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Honestly, I don't think I'd be interested. While intriguing, I think the novelty of listening to my coffee table would wear off pretty quickly.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:42 PM

yeah, a bit steep at $120, for what looks like a novelty item, still a few questions:

-how loud does this thing go, and what is the optimum sized surface for quality/power.

-what happens if you place things on the surface that it is on and does this affect the sound.

-does it have to be placed on a surface or could i stick it to the underside of my desk?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
yeah, a bit steep at $120, for what looks like a novelty item, still a few questions:

-how loud does this thing go, and what is the optimum sized surface for quality/power.

-what happens if you place things on the surface that it is on and does this affect the sound.

-does it have to be placed on a surface or could i stick it to the underside of my desk?
Origami thank you for your interest, this speaker is amazingly loud for its size, able to fill large rooms with sound.

I believe larger surfaces produce the fullest sound.

It may cause small light things (paper clips, etc) to rattle if the volume is sufficient to do so, however it usually is not a problem.

The speaker itself has no adhesive properties which allows a user to affix it to the 'underside of a desk' without modification, however it is possible and would produce sound if done so.

Old 06-12-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDriver View Post
Origami thank you for your interest, this speaker is amazingly loud for its size, able to fill large rooms with sound.

I believe larger surfaces produce the fullest sound.

It may cause small light things (paper clips, etc) to rattle if the volume is sufficient to do so, however it usually is not a problem.

The speaker itself has no adhesive properties which allows a user to affix it to the 'underside of a desk' without modification, however it is possible and would produce sound if done so.
Normal speaker susually have a tweeter for treble and a driver for bass. how will this thing cope with different sized "speakers", and lack of a speakerbox?

Old 06-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

What is the frequency response/SNR/efficiency (dB/mW)/THD of this thing? Have any standardized tests been performed, like RMAA or EAW/SMAART?

Old 06-12-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
What is the frequency response/SNR/efficiency (dB/mW)/THD of this thing? Have any standardized tests been performed, like RMAA or EAW/SMAART?
Good q, which brought me to startwondering how the output of this thing is. That size, the amp cant be able to produce many watts? Seeing this is more or less (correct me if im wrong) a speaker without a cone, whats the recommended suface area and material and what speaker effect would that translate to? One would think a very thing wood surface would be nice, maybe even a wood box or chest working as a speakerbox.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

This seems quite intrigueing, and I might be interested. I would assume the larger and deeper the perimeter of the surface, the deeper the bass. The only issue, as stated, is that it would be provided via a monural source. Unless there is built in circuitry that can provide a stereo simulated image, I don't think they will sell well.

Last edited by musichound; 06-12-2007 at 05:08 PM.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:32 PM

can you compare them to these?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/6bd8/

Old 06-12-2007, 05:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good find, Orange. Seeing they're stereo and about 600% cheaper than the Freedom Driver... even cheaper than the Soundbug.

(Of course they're a bit different, since they need an amped input, not a line-input. But with a properly powered amp, they might wreak some more havoc on your furniture.)

Old 06-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

...or on your walls, or on your neighbors' sanity.

Old 06-12-2007, 06:55 PM

rememeber one mythbusters episode where they cause a bridge to swing scarily much, maybe this will work like that too.

orange, those were the ones i thought id seen when i said this thing has been made before. unamped sounds way more intriguing, wonder how they would go to my t amp

Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 AM

Hello everyone. Thank you for your interest. Here are some technical specs:

Impedance:
4 Ohms
Frequency Range:
100 Hz – 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity:
91 db/m/W
Rated power:
20W (RMS)
Measurement:
60(L) x 60(W) x 50(H) mm
Weight:
550g

This product is in fact the same as the Nimzy Vibro Max which is retailed in the UK and Singapore for approx $160USD. I can assure you that this is the best sounding speaker utilizing this technology on the market today. Here are some links to reviews for the Nimzy Vibro Max.

Stuff Magazine

IT Reviews UK
Red Devil Blog
Amazon User Review
Pocket Link

We will be the soul carrier for this product in North America. I will be sending the speaker to Michael of dapreview.com to conduct a thorough test on it and will keep you guys updated!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:32 PM

I went ahead and did a little research on my own and here are the few key differences that I found for those not following the thread.

1. The soundpads come unamped, while the mini includes one.
2. The soundpads are a one shot deal, you stick them once and your done. The Mini seems otherwise as it requires no adhesive, therefor making it portable. (I wonder if the librarian could figure out what it was if I took one there? oh, the fun )
3. Furthering the above, having no adhesive, inherently limits the Mini to being placed on flat level surfaces only (coffee tables, computer desks, floors). The Sound pads can be put on anything from your door, to your window, to your paintings, as well as even your fridge.
4. The soundpads retail at 20$ while the mini is quoted to be released at around 120$.

I hope my comparison was as neutral as possible. For those that don't know, here are the specs for the Soundpads so you can make your own comparison:

Impedance: 8 Ohms
Recommended Power: 10W - 50W input
Power Rating: 6W each
Weight: 2 oz each
Dimensions: 4.2" dia. x .9" H

The idea to keep in mind is that both the soundpads and the mini will sound different depending on the surface you put it on.

@FDriver
I hope I didn't take too much away from your thread. Seeing as the soundpads are your closest competitor at the moment (well, not quite), I thought it fair to do a comparison. The Mini looks great though - I just hope the price comes down a bit.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange View Post
I went ahead and did a little research on my own and here are the few key differences that I found for those not following the thread.

1. The soundpads come unamped, while the mini includes one.
2. The soundpads are a one shot deal, you stick them once and your done. The Mini seems otherwise as it requires no adhesive, therefor making it portable. (I wonder if the librarian could figure out what it was if I took one there? oh, the fun )
3. Furthering the above, having no adhesive, inherently limits the Mini to being placed on flat level surfaces only (coffee tables, computer desks, floors). The Sound pads can be put on anything from your door, to your window, to your paintings, as well as even your fridge.
4. The soundpads retail at 20$ while the mini is quoted to be released at around 120$.

I hope my comparison was as neutral as possible. For those that don't know, here are the specs for the Soundpads so you can make your own comparison:

Impedance: 8 Ohms
Recommended Power: 10W - 50W input
Power Rating: 6W each
Weight: 2 oz each
Dimensions: 4.2" dia. x .9" H

The idea to keep in mind is that both the soundpads and the mini will sound different depending on the surface you put it on.

@FDriver
I hope I didn't take too much away from your thread. Seeing as the soundpads are your closest competitor at the moment (well, not quite), I thought it fair to do a comparison. The Mini looks great though - I just hope the price comes down a bit.
Orange, The soundpads do look intriguing. Thanks for your comparison, you are very objective. The reason why the price is the way it is, is due to high manufacturing costs. Also keep in mind that the speaker is composed of a mainly metal construction and employs relatively new technology. I think our TBA price of $120 is fair compared to the product's price in the UK. I hope you understand!

Old 06-14-2007, 04:00 AM

I dont see how it can work well WITHOUT adhesives though... I reckon it would be like letting loose a dildo on a table and wanting it to be in contact with the table at all times. I mean, its a cruel comparison, but seeing this produces sound by transferring vibrations, it would need to sit stuck to do so, right? Everyone who has used a power sander knows you have to put pressure on it to get any effect, or itll just jump around. How heavy is it?

as for unamped, thats a nice point, as long as the included amp is ok.

for price, i think you should lower it to 100. the uk price translates to about $140 or so usd, and seeing the difference in saleries here in europe vs us im used to paying 1.5-2 times as much for pretty much everything. but with exceptions of cours,e all depends on production cost