android
Old 07-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Wow, thanks for the guide! I think this should be a Sticky.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-25-2007, 12:38 PM

I have looked through this thread and still not found exactly what I am looking for...

I want to encode video direct from a DVD to put on the Sansa/Rockbox. All the methods I have seen on this thread seem to take a file to convert. So, with a DVD there are multiple VOB files and I don't really want to put each one of them into MediaCoder. I'd prefer just to point the software to the DVD drive and let it do it's thing.

Is there such a beast out there that can be used for the Sansa?

Thx.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I'd prefer just to point the software to the DVD drive and let it do it's thing.

You need a DVD ripper that can transcode (well, not exaclty transcode since DVD video is actually MPEG2) to MPEG1 or MPEG 2 video on the fly. However, I haven't really used Windows in years, so I can't recommend a good GUI program. For Linux, you can use DVD:Rip.

Alternatively, if you are comfortable with the command line, you can use a mplayer/mencoder combo, ie: dump the stream using mplayer and pipe it to mencoder. You will need Cygwin, Bash and mplayer/mencoder installed, if you are using Windows.

Charles

Old 07-25-2007, 07:39 PM

Thanks Charles. Yes, I am using windows. But I know nothing about the Cygwin/Bash/Mplayer/mencoder software and how to use them in this fashion.

But I would prefer a GUI approach.

Colin.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks Charles. Yes, I am using windows. But I know nothing about the Cygwin/Bash/Mplayer/mencoder software and how to use them in this fashion.

Colin.
roadhog if u just want a particular scene from the DVD just find the VOB file (use VLC player) and put the VOB file directly into super and convert it...Hope this helps

Old 07-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I don't suggest this approach if you are not used to the cli (command line interface). This involves installing a Unix like environment.

Quote:
I have been looking for a freeware Windows DVD ripper for you. This is the only one I can find from a site that I trust:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-...dDVD-NET.shtml

However, I don't know which format it rips to.

There are also others, but they are trailware:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-...p-Other-Tools/

This one looks OK, and not too expensive:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-...essional.shtml

Charles

Old 07-27-2007, 03:04 PM
Rockbox Developer

I recommend a tool called DVD Shrink combined with WinFF. It requires two utilities, but between them I've found it very easy to convert DVDs for playback on Rockbox (though I use a player with a larger screen and faster processor, the Sansa isn't so great for video playback).

Old 08-05-2007, 11:08 PM

I do use DVD Shrink anyway for copying DVDs to from DVD9 down to DVD4 (or is it DVD5?). So when you use DVD shrink what options do you use - backup? Do you just use it to create a dvd disk image then use winFF?

Old 08-06-2007, 01:20 AM
Rockbox Developer

Assuming you're on an NTFS filesystem (that allows filesizes large enough) I simply have DVD Shrink extract the main video as a single .vob file, without compressing it any. So not strictly a backup, a custom setting. Then I feed that .vob to winff.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:05 PM

Llorean,

How do you set up DVD Shrink to extract all the .vob files that make up a movie into 1 .vob file?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Rockbox Developer

It has an option, I can't remember where, that lets you set that. I haven't used it in quite some time, and it's not on the computer I've got with me right now. Just one little checkbox and it does it, no complicated anything.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
Assuming you're on an NTFS filesystem (that allows filesizes large enough) I simply have DVD Shrink extract the main video as a single .vob file, without compressing it any. So not strictly a backup, a custom setting. Then I feed that .vob to winff.
how you are talking my language. I'll look into those settings tonight and see if I can find it. Thanks. I guess once it is in one single vob, then winff, or Super, or any number of video processing programs can convert to MPEG1. Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Rockbox Developer

MPEG1 or MPEG2, Rockbox supports either (the WinFF presets we provide convert to MPEG2).

Old 08-07-2007, 12:00 AM

Llorean,
Thanks. Looking into that setting as that is what I've been wondering how to do since I got my sansa a few weeks ago.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:49 AM

When ripping DVD to avi/mpg, I used DVD Decrypter & Auto Gordian Knot. They're as automated as you'll get.
Good guides here http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/guides.htm
You may then need to use the original guide in this thread to convert to a sansa/rockbox friendly version.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
MPEG1 or MPEG2, Rockbox supports either (the WinFF presets we provide convert to MPEG2).
I thought that rockbox only supported MPEG1. I guess that was because the "How To" at the beginning of this thread only mentioned setting SUPER to MPEG1...

Old 08-07-2007, 03:48 PM
Rockbox Developer

That's why you should use official documentation.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I have looked through this thread and still not found exactly what I am looking for...

I want to encode video direct from a DVD to put on the Sansa/Rockbox. All the methods I have seen on this thread seem to take a file to convert. So, with a DVD there are multiple VOB files and I don't really want to put each one of them into MediaCoder. I'd prefer just to point the software to the DVD drive and let it do it's thing.

Thx.
Roadhog - I have just started using mediacoder as per JacOb's posting and using his xml file (remember to change the output folder from "Jacob & Wendy" desktop !)

Mediacoder allows you to rip from a DVD (Add Track as opposed to Add file or folder) provided you have the additional s/w from the same website, direct to an MPeg2 for Rockbox. It creates one full mpeg file and works great.

I would definitely recommend this for a simple and effective conversion and simple windows GUI front end.

My son has a brand new iPod Video and we are using the same s/w to convert to Mpeg4 format to put onto his player as opposed to all the converted .VOBs he has done already (maybe put Rockbox on for him too!)

Old 08-13-2007, 06:38 AM

this worked fine for me, but the video is upside down!!

Old 08-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Banned

Super works great for smaller files, but whenever I try to convert a larger file (like around 800 MB), it gets halfway through encoding and then says ERROR. Any way to fix this?