android
Old 07-31-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Added the Westone 4 to the list.

I put them right below the Phonak PFE. Now you might ask why I put them right below the PFE. Fair question. The answer is simple: because the Westone 4 sound basically the same as the PFE with grey filters.
Thanks for the rating!

I don't spend much time on headphone related stuff anymore and yet I still lurk on ABI. It's nice to actually get some balanced reviews and evaluations of products. I haven't heard the W4, but I didn't expect it would be worth the cost after hearing every other universal product in their line.

Audeo needs to get off their rear and release the 232. I just hope they price it sanely and not based on some ridiculous marketing rationale.

I'd like to try the Sony based on what was stated in the review. Unfortunately it's just too cheap for me

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 AM

Glad to see you still around here and on NwAvGuy's site. All the sites that matter.

Last I heard from Phonak was a planned August release date. Sure hope they don't dawdle with their schedule.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/05/r...%80%9D-review/

Scroll to the sound section. dfkt compares them a little bit and otherwise just does his usual reviewing of them.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quick but I found what I was looking for eslewhere.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Fine. A-hole...

Old 08-16-2011, 04:54 AM

I'm back from my holidays, and my domain expired in the meantime. It should be up again in a day or two.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM

Added the Soundmagic E10 to the list. Review is here: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/08/s...ic-e10-review/

Old 08-24-2011, 12:56 PM

Interesting, I wouldn't expect them to place right above the Panas though. That said the Panas have come down the list quite a lot so it's no surprise there, damn you sibilance!

But for that price, it's definitely a catch; I can finally recommend to my friends something that's very good and they won't be running away when telling the price.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:26 PM

could anyone here comment on JVC HA-FX700 vs. Radius DDM2 vs. Atrio MG7 ?

The price of JVC FX700 isn't accurate, listed 270$, while musicaacoustics or seyoshop both sell them for 370$, does FX700 really worth that 370$ price tag compared to 250$ for Radius DDM2 (means price/value goes to bad) ?

EarSonics SM3: listed 360$ vs. 490$ at musicaacoustics.

Last edited by Yagmort; 09-04-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:03 PM

I don't think the JVC FX700 does worth the price difference.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:51 PM

Added the Brainwavz B2 to the list. Review is here: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/10/brainwavz-b2-review/

Reshuffled some rankings, moved the HJE900 up a few notches again, since I've been listening to them some more lately. Also gave some phones "little" bass that had "medium" bass before, to distinguish them some more from the rest.

Oh, seems the PFE 232 already slipped in the spreadsheed as well...

Old 10-26-2011, 06:40 PM

! PFE 232 in second place ! Can't wait for the review, but it's price is a shame... =(

Old 10-28-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Added the Brainwavz B2 to the list. Review is here: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/10/brainwavz-b2-review/

Reshuffled some rankings, moved the HJE900 up a few notches again, since I've been listening to them some more lately. Also gave some phones "little" bass that had "medium" bass before, to distinguish them some more from the rest.

EDIT:
Would you consider trying the re262 (not the re252 or re272) as well as the westone um3x. I hear um3x can compare to the sm3 except for soundstage. And the re256 with amp will give the sm3 a run for its money (awesome mids and much better clarity I hear).

Last edited by h1a8; 10-29-2011 at 03:13 AM.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Also gave some phones "little" bass that had "medium" bass before, to distinguish them some more from the rest.

This is a welcome change to the bass quantity value. Thanks!

If only I was willing to spend that much money on the 232

Old 11-08-2011, 01:08 PM

Added the Soundmagic E30 to the list. Review is here: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/11/s...ic-e30-review/

Old 11-15-2011, 08:29 PM

Hi, Dfkt. Sorry for my bad english and long text!

This's my first post, but i'm reading about this subject for a long time.
I'm listening with um3x for 2 year now. I like them, but i can think of small changes that i would like more. And that makes me want another iem.

Besides abi forum, i tend to be skeptical about what i read.
I see head-fi forum like a disneyland journey, whereas this forum is like a bathroom in the middle of that resort. A great place to wash all the hype and heavy commercial bias.

Basically i'm considering the phonak 232, but at the same is very tempting to jump to customs.

With your opinion, i understood that ue11 were pretty good, but some universals managed to surpass them. However i could think that customs had opportunty to improve, too.

Shigzeo, after enjoying some customs, he finished saying that is "true love" is a universal.

Music_4321, he is always claiming that customs are overrated.

And then, average_joe makes a thread about customs, with huge descriptions of many customs, and theirs improvement over universals. Everything he says seems so true, but at the same time on par with the disneyland.

Could you tell me what you think about this?

Thank you! And congrats for the chart!

Old 11-16-2011, 04:58 AM

Customs sure aren't the be-all-end-all. The one thing that's certain is that you get better isolation with customs - what isn't certain is that they automatically sound better than universal fit ones. It's all a matter of personal taste, but don't be blinded by the "driver wars" - more drivers don't necessarily mean better sound.

Besides the UE11 which I own, I also heard the demo units of the JH13, and the demo units (and finalized units of a friend) of the UERM. The 6-driver JH13 were a bit disappointing to my ears, the 3-driver UERM were pretty good - but I still prefer the universal 3-driver SM3 and 2-driver PFE232 to them.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:40 AM

Default Thank you !!!

A while back, I bought the Crossroads MylarOne's based on your recommendation, they have served me well except for the screen coming loose in my ear after years of use. I see they have fallen down the list. I just bought the SoundMAGIC E30's based on your recommendation. I plan to use them for running, with better sound and less microphonics. I can't wait for them to arrive

Thank you for maintaining this list over the years. I have found it is the most dependable and concise source of information in the world.

UPDATE: I received them and used them for running. They worked exactly as expected based on the reviews and information here at ABI.

Last edited by EngrPaul; 11-28-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:11 AM

Glad the thread is useful to you, Paul.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:18 PM

Added the Sennheiser IE 80 and the Koss KDX200 to the list.

IE 80 are essentially the same as the IE 8, almost no difference is sound quality. Their bass appears to extend deeper with some tracks, but not with others. AB testing these fairly fresh IE 80 against my 3 year old (and daily used) IE 8 shows that burn-in or burn-out is pretty much bogus. IE 80 look worse than IE 8 in my opinion, with their cheesy aluminum plate. And their cable isn't as flexible as the super awesome IE 8 cable, but still one of the best cables out there. If only the IE 8 cable was black, not grey...

For Koss KXD200 impressions, you best read what James444 wrote here and here.

Also added a sibilance column, which is a work in progress... I still have to thoroughly re-listen to a lot of phones on the list, my memory may be flaky. And sibilance tests are a real strain on my ears. That column might still change.

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone