android
Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 AM

They might be, if you want something like a bassier RE0 that works with less dense music, and you don't mind the rather "flat/polite" dynamic range.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The review made them seem extremely promising I'll be buying 6 of them.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:22 PM

Added the Westone 4 to the list.

I put them right below the Phonak PFE. Now you might ask why I put them right below the PFE. Fair question. The answer is simple: because the Westone 4 sound basically the same as the PFE with grey filters.

Now there are some ultra-nano-tiny differences that should be more or less irrelevant for regular listening, but they really do sound the same, all in all. There's a tiny bit more treble resolution in the W4, a tiny bit more treble sparkle in the PFE. The W4's bass rendition is a tiny bit more voluminous, yet the PFE reach down lower than the W4 and are a tiny bit faster. PFE have a tiny bit more overall clarity than the W4 - both have similar (excellent) dynamics and similar stereo imaging. All differences are however so minuscule, only apparent in a quick switch AB test, they should not matter for real life purposes.

The difference that probably does matter is that Phonak managed to create that sound with a single armature for $150, while Westone needs four armatures and a price tag of $450 to achieve basically the same, some two years later. By the way, James444 heard both side by side as well, and he seems to generally agree with that assessment of the W4 vs. the PFE.

I'm not sure if/how I should post that on Head-Fi, since a lot of people will certainly run amok when I state my findings there, for obvious "more drivers/more expensive is better" reasons...

Old 05-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Of course Head - Fi is filled with smart people.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Don't get carried away now...generalizations aren't very smart either.

Been a while since I heard the PFEs but I'm pretty tempted to try them out again...lol. This seems to boil down to the law of diminishing returns, having a very similar signature to the PFEs just made that very apparent and it's quite a shame for Westone. I am sure the same could've happened to something like the SM3 but there aren't many IEMs that go for that type of signature at a lower price-point (C3?)

I personally dislike multi-driver IEMs and have a preference for a single driver unit, I think I just don't like cross-overs.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post
Don't get carried away now...generalizations aren't very
I'll try my best

Last edited by Confispect; 05-05-2011 at 07:01 PM.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:57 PM

Default Issues with HJE900

Hello, anyone with the Panasonic HJE-900. I noticed that the treble distorts very pronounced, for example, at the beginning of "veneno para las hadas" by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) or with some guitars, which doesnt happen with my Sennheiser hd448 for example. Is this normal, or the driver may have been minimally damaged. Also sound better than these Sennheiser Hd448 or IE6 or IE7 for example, but I worry that so dramatically distorted. It is for this reason that DFKT underrated recently the trebble of these IEM?. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Eh, I haven't noticed this. The treble seems phenomenal to me, it's the bass that I find lacking, though only in quantity.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Foam mod.........

Old 05-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I know about the mod, I just don't have the means or the time to do it, and they work just fine for me as is.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The post was to, Sirius.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
The post was to, Sirius.
Yeah, i made the foam mode, but that's for sibilance, but, in this case the fact for me is that the driver cant stand the strong or ends trebble and distorts. thanks for the reply!

Old 05-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ah, my bad.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:41 AM

Added the Radius DDM2 to the list. Review is here: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/05/r...%80%9d-review/

Old 07-01-2011, 12:07 PM

Added the Brainwavz M2 / Visang R03 to the list. Review is here: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/07/brainwavz-m2-review/

Added the Grado GR10 to the list. Reasoning for their placement is here: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...postcount=5477

Old 07-24-2011, 11:33 AM

DDM2 moved to #3? . But, I can understand why .

dfkt, can you add the driver version to Atrio M5 in the list? FS seems to keep the same name, but keeps upgrading drivers that it's rather confusing to know which is which.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Yes, the DDM2 are amazing, they really grew on me. It took some time, though... They do almost everything right, at least everything I care about, personally. And since I modded them with an angled plug that reverses the channels for over-the ear use, they got even better.

I put the EX1000 lower down on the list since their abysmal fit and form factor really takes away the enjoyment of their truly excellent sound.

What was the name of the old Atrio driver? MG5?

Old 07-24-2011, 12:37 PM

I think the revisions are called M5, M5 Rev 2 and M5 (MG7). May be just mark it as M5 (v1). Confusing naming scheme to say the least

Got my EX-1000 yesterday. It just seems so effortless doing what it does. It has a special synergy with Classical music for sure, though FX700 is not far behind. For my preference so far, I'd put EX-1000 very slightly ahead of FX700 and DDM2. But, I enjoy all three of them just the same - they make me listen to music than worry about any technical aspects.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My perference would be Fx700 > Sony Ex1000.

I'm getting slightly curious about the DDM2 the DDM kept falling out.

I'd say the two best genre's for the SonyEx1000 to show off would be Jazz/Techno.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:16 PM

DDM2 does not fall out for sure and sounds very different compared to DDM-1.

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone