android
Old 03-24-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Didn't know you disliked the form factor of the SM3. I think they're pretty ok, besides the Y-splitter. I can even use them while sleeping without issues. Some people have issues with their angled housing, but my ears seem to be big enough to not notice that.

I truly think the EX1000 are horrible for on the go. Their form factor and memory wire always reminds me that they're *there*, in my ears - I can't forget about them. They're very intrusive (I don't stick them in far) and uncomfortable to my ears. If they were mine, I would remove the memory wire ASAP, I guess that would make them somewhat more comfy for my ears.

Well, I guess I should get the new Radius DDM sometimes soon, and those probably make the EX1000 fit like a glove, judging from pics.
Nope, form factor wasn't my deal braker with the SM3, but weird soundstaging (aka missing forward projection). I never managed to adapt to hearing instruments from behind my head, it annoyed the hell out of me.

I think part of your gripes with the Sony's ergonomics comes from the fact that you're wearing glasses. I didn't find the memory wire uncomfy at all.

Do you really think the DDM-II form factor is that bad? Judging from the pics they'll stick out quite a bit, plus you can't wear them over-ear, but I guess the angled nozzle design should fit much better than their first attempt.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 AM

@dfkt,

• Does EX-1000 do sub-bass well?
  • I read contradictory opinions about EX-1000's treble at head-fi. How is the treble? Is there any other IEM in your list that EX1000's treble can be compared to?
  • Is it hopelessly 'romantic'? Will death growls be devoid of aggression and sound like a lullaby then?

Old 03-26-2011, 11:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good questions.

Don't forget to direct your questions toward James as well seeing as he gave them to Dfkt.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:35 AM

They have excellent sub-bass, and they are rather forward, slightly aggressive as a whole. They are not 'romantic' or 'laid back' sounding in any way. Treble is certainly more comparable to the PFE than to the SM3, so to speak. No worries about metal - they render it very well.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
They have excellent sub-bass, and they are rather forward, slightly aggressive as a whole. They are not 'romantic' or 'laid back' sounding in any way. Treble is certainly more comparable to the PFE than to the SM3, so to speak. No worries about metal - they render it very well.
Thanks dfkt. EX-1000 looks like my next IEM then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confispect View Post
Don't forget to direct your questions toward James as well seeing as he gave them to Dfkt.
But then, he uses Jumbo tips . I already know a fair bit of James' opinion on them, these are specifics on which I wanted dfkt's opinion.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
That's extremely odd, some seem to hear the EX1000 as pretty aggressive and others as very smooth and romantic. I've been getting PMs on Head-Fi from both parties.

Well, if I were the only one, I'd probably believe it's just me being less sensitive to treble. But as it is, I do consider phones like the RE0, CK10, HJE900 and FX700 as significantly more aggressive in treble, so I'm rather suspecting a fit related issue with the EX1000.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:13 PM

Well, you didn't say how you perceive them. I doubt you perceive them as 'laid back', or do you?

I sure don't have any seal issues (not the same as fit issues), since their bass is all there, their treble is all there - nothing is missing, veiled, or clogged. I just perceive them as up-front - which is not a bad thing per se at all.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:42 AM

Overall I perceive them neither as especially laid back nor up-front, but if pressed I'd say rather laid-back than up-front. Though they are certainly more treble forward than the SM3's, but that's no wonder - almost all my IEMs are. But I perceive their mids definitely as more laid back as the SM3's.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:04 PM

Hi dfkt, I can wonder why you moved down some lines the hje900 ? some problem? and how you modded these, what type of foam ? thanks. Great comparission!

Old 03-31-2011, 11:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's simple when you hear better things you tend to re-evaluate.

I agree the treble should be medium actually the mids should be to if you want to go at it seriously.

But that's stock not modded.

@Esan, Got ya.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james444 View Post
Well, all I can say is I didn't notice any annoying wind noise during two weeks use, even though I live in a rather windy place. But thanks for bringing this issue to my attention, I'm sure I'll hear it too when I have the phones back :P
Well, I have the EX1000 back and of course I'm noticing the wind noise now. It also occured to me why I didn't hear it back then, during my first weeks of use: it had been cold outside and I had worn a beanie over the ears. So stupid me, sorry for that, I've added the issue to my Head-Fi review.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:49 AM

this baised report of nothing.....listen to youtube.com Brandenburg concertos. Bass biased itdiot. Real phones are neutral and let the dap device do the eq.

Allegro...adagio....versions...to hear his samples are from children records...

I repect his see--dawder listening...but did he clean his ears with a water squirt?

Jonathan Josten Bach..
Copain...
ACDC Angus Young rules

Last edited by TuFur; 04-05-2011 at 06:39 AM.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 AM

hey hi i am thinking of buying cx 400 so whats the sq ?
is it good compared to ep 630
thanks for any help
philips shn2500 NC
sennheiser cx 180

Old 04-05-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFur View Post
this baised report of nothing.....listen to youtube.com Brandenburg concertos. Bass biased itdiot. Real phones are neutral and let the dap device do the eq.

I repect his see--dawder listening...but did he clean his ears with a water squirt?

Jonathan Josten Bach..
Copain...
ACDC Angus Young rules
I Respect this rambling post of nothingness...listen to youtube.com R.Kelly p*ss on you remix.

ˇÁndale! ˇÁndale! ˇArriba! ˇArriba! .....to read these words are from trained dolphins

I like to read...trolling nimrod...but did he clean his keyboard with peanut butter?

Garth Brooks..
Eddie Murphy..
STEVE HOLT!

Old 04-05-2011, 05:39 PM

You just elevated counter-trolling to a whole new level. Even if the original post was so unintelligible that it probably doesn't count for trolling. Several hats off to you, and always practice how to recognise different types of trees from quite a long way away.

From now on I only listen to Jonathan Josten Bach and Copain.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Banned

wow..

Old 04-06-2011, 06:31 AM

I was out tree spotting in Notlob just the other day.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuFur View Post

....uuuuuuhhhhh what??????
Past: Fischer Audio Silver Bullet, Ortofon e-q5
Demoed: Monster Miles Davis,

Old 04-21-2011, 06:59 PM

Added the Ecci PR401 to the list. Here's the review: http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/04/ecci-pr401-review/

Old 04-22-2011, 07:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Good stuff dfkt. Other than the FOTM flat cable thing, these seem like a good choice to consider in this price range.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone