android
Old 03-19-2011, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daanish View Post
So dfkt where are the EX1000's going to make an entry into your list
If they beat SM3, I am buying the next day

Last edited by esanthosh; 03-19-2011 at 05:15 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Crap. I already need to think about a second mortgage to get all the nifty IEMs I really would like to have... Thus far, willpower has proven effective, but my resolve is starting to wane
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 03-19-2011, 08:05 AM

The EX1000 are more or less perfect, as far as sound goes. Though more forward, more 'aggressive' than the SM3, more bass and treble - but not too much. Their frequency response is different to the SM3 but neither better not worse. Dynamics, clarity and stereo imaging are stellar with the EX. There's not a single negative point I could think of, regarding their sound.

However their physical design is not so much to my liking. They have little isolation, are very susceptible to wind noise (at least to my ears, James444 doesn't have those issues), aren't overly comfortable (again, to my ears), and the memory wire doesn't work well with my glasses.

Same as other excellent sounding large-diameter dynamic driver IEMs (FX700, DDM, etc), the whole construction is somewhat 'experimental' for my ear anatomy. I wish they would be 'normal' fitting, like the Atrio's housing, or the IE8 (with more isolation, if possible). Then again, it just might not be possible making a vented ~15-16mm dynamic driver into a 'normal' IEM.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Banned

damn! I need these.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
They ... are very susceptible to wind noise (at least to my ears, James444 doesn't have those issues) ...
Well, all I can say is I didn't notice any annoying wind noise during two weeks use, even though I live in a rather windy place. But thanks for bringing this issue to my attention, I'm sure I'll hear it too when I have the phones back :P

Old 03-19-2011, 12:14 PM

You know those things *always* happen when you lend me stuff. (To even matters out this time, I hope you find a lot to complain about the Archos 32 at least.)

Seriously, it was extremely noticeable for me when e.g. turning from the windy Rennweg main street into my small side street. I actually noticed the sudden absence of wind noise more than its gradually increased presence before. Or today, going down the stairs to the subway, the air pressure change when the train just enters the station - holy hell, that's some tornado sounds.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
The EX1000 are more or less perfect, as far as sound goes. Though more forward, more 'aggressive' than the SM3, more bass and treble - but not too much. Their frequency response is different to the SM3 but neither better not worse. Dynamics, clarity and stereo imaging are stellar with the EX. There's not a single negative point I could think of, regarding their sound.
Good to hear the SM3's compete favorably, traded in my e-q5 for an SM3 which is on the way and the fx700 is incoming as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh View Post
If they beat SM3, I am buying the next day
Hehe would you say the Sm3's are you favorite now? I'm super excited about my pair because I never though I would actually try it, but the opportunity presented itself and I jumped on it!
Past: Fischer Audio Silver Bullet, Ortofon e-q5
Demoed: Monster Miles Davis,

Old 03-19-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
To even matters out this time, I hope you find a lot to complain about the Archos 32 at least.
So far not much, except for the fact that I'm just not a big fan of touch UI on a DAP. Of course this is actually an "internet tablet" that happens to play music. But honestly, something like the Clip or R0 is so much easier to navigate, its not even funny...

Old 03-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Now if you"d just grab the Atrio Mg7...

Old 03-23-2011, 12:38 PM

Added the EX1000 to the list... sigh. I dunno where to put them. They sound truly excellent, and their build quality is great. However their comfort, isolation, and wind noise suck so much, they're best suited for home use, not on the go, IMO.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Banned

The Sony shop quoted me 429 for them today.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:43 PM

For most phones I put the MSRP in the first post (where applicable, i.e. not discontinued, etc). Most phones can be had for cheaper, of course.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:52 PM
Banned

They sound like great iems, however I think I would find the wind noise a pain.. not too bothered about isolation.

I'm glad you and James444 tested them out - not too much else about them online.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The list.....

I started revising when I got the Eterna.

But damm thats some serious revising.

You weren't drunk so this is.....a lot to digest.

How did the IE8 jump over the Pana overnight....

This reminds me of Joker"s outlook a bit.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Added the EX1000 to the list... sigh. I dunno where to put them. They sound truly excellent, and their build quality is great. However their comfort, isolation, and wind noise suck so much, they're best suited for home use, not on the go, IMO.
Well, you know the different strokes thing... I'm not so much an SM3 guy and you obviously not an EX1000 one. On the bright side of things we won't have to fight over phones, because we already own the ones we love.

Still odd that I didn't find much to complain about during two weeks of commuting, whereas you think these not suited for on the go.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:47 PM

Didn't know you disliked the form factor of the SM3. I think they're pretty ok, besides the Y-splitter. I can even use them while sleeping without issues. Some people have issues with their angled housing, but my ears seem to be big enough to not notice that.

I truly think the EX1000 are horrible for on the go. Their form factor and memory wire always reminds me that they're *there*, in my ears - I can't forget about them. They're very intrusive (I don't stick them in far) and uncomfortable to my ears. If they were mine, I would remove the memory wire ASAP, I guess that would make them somewhat more comfy for my ears.

Well, I guess I should get the new Radius DDM sometimes soon, and those probably make the EX1000 fit like a glove, judging from pics.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 PM

I noticed the Panas took quite a fall on your spreadsheet dfkt; that treble, that once was Good and now Medium, is it because of the slight sibilance (even if it's modded) or?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey, can anyone enlighten me... What were IEMs # 51 and 52? The last two that dfkt added?

Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM

Ortofon e-Q5 and the Sony MDR-EX1000 if I'm not mistaken.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sYlt View Post
I noticed the Panas took quite a fall on your spreadsheet dfkt; that treble, that once was Good and now Medium, is it because of the slight sibilance (even if it's modded) or.....
...getting used to SM3's treble more? . I did not notice the fall until Confispect mentioned it.

Looking forward to where DDM2 ends up, though Isolation, comfort, Ease of insert, Microphonics, Price/Value columns don't look that promising as of now.

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone