android
Old 09-25-2010, 02:14 PM

Macrocheesium, why not get the Phonak PFE instead? They're a bit more refined than the RE0, with faster attacks and transient response due to being armature-driven, with better build quality and isolation.

Miow, I think after some acclimatisation time even hardcore bassheads should appreciate the HJE's bass. It has more than average (at least what I perceive to be the general consensus of "average bass quantity"), and it is tight, fast, and controlled enough.

Leen, that can be easily done. I will consider it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-25-2010, 05:25 PM

Added a lot of Hippo IEMs to the list, and the FI-BA-SS.

Quick look at the Hippos is here: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57881

Also added driver types, as per Leen's suggestion.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

dkft! Surely not!

The Hippo Pearl has surpassed the VBs to your ears?
eeeek!

BTW, love the Driver Type Column and the "Basshead" designation.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 09-25-2010, 05:38 PM

The Hippo 10 and Pearl have different applications than the VB. I still find the bass of the VB to be amazing, but the 10 and Pearl have a more natural, more even sound representation. Both of them have better, more precise treble than the VB as well... but they still can't compete when it comes to sub-bass oomph. So the VB are still what I would recommend for bassheads, and the 10 and Pearl I would recommend to people that can't quite afford the HJE900.

Old 09-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

dfkt, seriously, this is the primary reason I and so many others respect your voice.

We all know how much of a fan of the VBs you are, especially as a self-professed basshead.

For someone like you with the experience you have to be so honest in your reviews/evaluations is absolutely priceless.

We are kinda lucky to have you around man...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-13-2010, 08:36 PM

What do you guys mean by dynamics?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post
What do you guys mean by dynamics?
Defined from various sources:
Quote:
Dynamics - normally refers to the volume of a sound or note (softness or loudness), but can also refer to every aspect of the execution of a given piece and various degrees of loudness called for in performance. A variation in force or intensity, especially in musical sound …
So an example in real world use one could say “these headphones can't handle the bass, the detail, the dynamics …”

Oh there's another definition you may want, detail ...
Quote:
Detail - The most delicate elements of the original sound and those which are the first to disappear with lesser equipment.
BTW these are not defined by me

Edit: Found another one, heh
Quote:
Dynamic - The suggestion of energy and wide dynamic. Related to perceived speed as well as contrasts in volume both large and small.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey I had a question, and didn't make a thread about it, could anyone recommend me a HJE900 like sound signature from another phone with better isolation...? or just another phone period. Natural, timbre, reverb......with clarity...

Old 10-20-2010, 12:54 PM

The Hippo 10 are somewhat similar sounding. I couldn't say if they isolate a lot more - I don't seem to have isolation issues with the HJE, as some people do.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
The Hippo 10 are somewhat similar sounding. I couldn't say if they isolate a lot more - I don't seem to have isolation issues with the HJE, as some people do.

I was thinking the Hippo vb, or monster turbine gold, the Naturalness, and the timbre is what I'm mainly in search of.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@Confispect: for what my voice is worth as a non expert, I do plan to heavily audition the Hippo 10s [and prolly the Pearls as well] while I am in Hong Kong and have access to the new Jaben store in Mong Kok. I will be looking to form my own impressions of both of these as compared to the VBs and the Pana HJE900 and will post back my 2cents.

I said I was done with dynamic IEMs since I love the Panas so much, but dammit, i guess my IEM fetish is still out of control - the Hippo 10s are quite tantalizingly to me from dfkts comments, not as a replacement for the Panas [I simply don't see that happening] but rather as yet another addition to my own modest but growing dynamic IEM collection. He has been totally on the money for me twice already with the VBs and the Panas. No reason to think he won't be 3 for 3/4 for 4.

cheers,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-22-2010, 11:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
@Confispect: for what my voice is worth as a non expert, I do plan to heavily audition the Hippo 10s [and prolly the Pearls as well] while I am in Hong Kong and have access to the new Jaben store in Mong Kok. I will be looking to form my own impressions of both of these as compared to the VBs and the Pana HJE900 and will post back my 2cents.

I said I was done with dynamic IEMs since I love the Panas so much, but dammit, i guess my IEM fetish is still out of control - the Hippo 10s are quite tantalizingly to me from dfkts comments, not as a replacement for the Panas [I simply don't see that happening] but rather as yet another addition to my own modest but growing dynamic IEM collection. He has been totally on the money for me twice already with the VBs and the Panas. No reason to think he won't be 3 for 3/4 for 4.

cheers,
-les

Yeah Dfkt is the man, even if he doesn't respond to P'm (DONT BE A IDIOT).
I brought the Shures,Phonak,Q-jays, and now the Pana's from his perspective and was rewarded with good listening experiences, and musical moments. (Except the q-jays..) Anyhow, I would love to see a comparison, I thought I was done too but I could see me searching for a Pana's like sound but with more isolation. But then I know for a fact that the setup would lack in the Pana's build quailty, and replaceable cables. Hmmm it just never ends. A over-the ear headphone with this sound signature would be brilliant as well. Just a thought.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post

cheers,
-les
Or if you like the hje900s sound, you could get something with a similar signature, just cheaper. The meelectronics M6 usually sells for $35, but overstock has it for $20 right now. Same warm and V shaped sound signature, and by all reports it isn't that much worse than the panas - diminishing returns and all that.

Plus you get a design that's much much more comfortable, and one you can actually sleep with if it tickles your fancy. Well, at least to me, comfort with IEMs is paramount, so I am really quite fond of the M6.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
Or if you like the hje900s sound, you could get something with a similar signature, just cheaper. The meelectronics M6 usually sells for $35, but overstock has it for $20 right now. Same warm and V shaped sound signature, and by all reports it isn't that much worse than the panas - diminishing returns and all that.

Plus you get a design that's much much more comfortable, and one you can actually sleep with if it tickles your fancy. Well, at least to me, comfort with IEMs is paramount, so I am really quite fond of the M6.

Will do.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I made a preliminary list of all the IEMs I own (or have tested exhaustively), comparing major aspects, quality- and quantity-wise. Sorted in order of my personal current preference (best on top, worst on bottom):

The list and ranking may change... but maybe it's useful to some of you guys.

And always remember: This is just my opinion, my experience with these IEMs, and your mileage may vary!
i'm new here... mind telling me which currency are used in the table shown...? huhu... thx in advance...

Old 10-29-2010, 11:22 AM

$ always stands for dollars afaik.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:23 AM

It's US dollars. Hence the "$" sign. Much as "£" would typically indicate pounds sterling.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 PM

yea... kinda agree with that... thanks.. ^^

im curious about that senn cx300... is it really $49...?
because at my place here they sell for MYR 329, which is around USD $94.54... now it makes me to think twice before making any decision before bring the cx300 home... uhuh

Old 10-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

sherif: Welcome to ABi...

Yup...in the USA, Senn CX300s are available from 32USD. Amazon has them for 40USD at the moment [and I am assuming these are prices for the real deal, not fakes, especially from Amazon...]

I own the CX300 - they are good, but not great IMO. The bass is really muddy and can be very indistinct and overpowering to me. Mids and highs are OK, but nothing special, and I found the soundstage to be just fair. My biggest problem with the CX300 these days, post-ABi and a tiny bit of education into other alternatives is that the bass characteristics are not so great...to me! YMMV...

cheers,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-13-2010, 02:29 AM

Yo Dfkt, if I sent you a new pair of buds, would you review em'?

A while back I went with the MEE M6 and well... tbh.. I actually like em'. Bass isn't real heavy, although the highs get distorted very badly at anything more than 60% volume.

Figured MEE deserves a chance to be on The Wall. :-p

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone