android
Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 PM

@dfkt
Would it be correct to say that the fx700 is the HFI-780 of IEMs?

@lestatar
Do you find that the VBs sound best at low volumes? For me at least, when played at medium volumes the bass can sometimes become overwhelming, distractingly so. And the highs start becoming harsh and sibilant. But at low volumes, the things just shine, no overwhelming bass and the harshness is gone.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
@dfkt

@lestatar
Do you find that the VBs sound best at low volumes? For me at least, when played at medium volumes the bass can sometimes become overwhelming, distractingly so. And the highs start becoming harsh and sibilant. But at low volumes, the things just shine, no overwhelming bass and the harshness is gone.
Interesting question JxK. tbh, I used to listen to music at relatively high volumes. Since coming here regularly though, I have found myself listening to music at much lower volumes overall - words of wisdom from folks around here. FWIW, I pair my Sony E with the VBs - I never ever go beyond 12-14 on the volume these days and the Sony E volume goes to 30.

I think for me, I find I enjoy the VBs best at what I consider low-medium volume though I have messed around and cranked the volume and everything is still nice and crisp and clear. I never really noticed the sibilance that you and others have mentioned on occasion - in fact, I like my music with a little more mid/top end and tend to EQ up a bit in those areas, so I clearly am not the best judge on this.

Still, I am loving the VBs almost daily - a great listening experience IMO.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 PM

If you want a test of harshness, just listen to some track with alot of cymbals. You could even try it with the VB, same track (or passage in a track) at low and high volumes. It may be sort of fun actually.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 07-08-2010, 06:25 AM

DFKT,

Although your list includes some of the most popular "top-performers" within their price range, I'm surprised not to see a specific one. Is there a chance we might see a review of the Sennheiser CX-550 in the future?

Judging by the feedback it received in sites like Head-Fi and iAudiofile, it might be a good earphone but for some reason it hasn't become popular.

There is also some confusion about the nomenclature, as you probably know. Sennheiser CX95, CX55 and CX550 look the same...but are they the same of just some strange marketing manoeuvre by Sennheiser?

Within the 50-70 euro range we have quite a few options nowadays, however, I wonder why isn't there a space for these. If the sound quality is good, they would probably be a good deal, taking in account the accessories and (expectable) good fit of an earphone that resembles the hiper small and confortable CX300 (and lookalikes).

Here's a nice japanese site with a thorough review:

http://www.geocities.jp/ryumatsuba/cx95.html

Thank you in advance.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
@dfkt
That's a rather good comparison. Yeah, one could say they share many - if not most - sound signature cues. I don't have the FX700 anymore, but I now wonder if they have even more bass quantity than the HFI-780.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frandroid View Post
Is there a chance we might see a review of the Sennheiser CX-550 in the future?
Only if someone buys one for me to review.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 AM

That subverts the concept of "internet review"!

First, you review, then WE buy!

It seems there's a missing link: you need to befriend someone at Sennheiser...

Old 07-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Can anyone tell me how the PFE's compare to a pair of Sleek Audio SA1 by any chance?
I managed to break my old pair of PFE's and am going to have to replace them and thought it'd be the PFE's again or a pair of SA1.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:59 PM

[quote=lestatar;482354][quote=miow;482332]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
I also use the middle plates as for me they strike the best balance between amazing bass and terrific mids/highs that satisfy me.Touche!...LOL...I am the first to admit that my quality headphone/IEM experience/education is still in the early growth stages. Still, I like what I like....

I stand by it...the VBs, for the money, and for the overall sound quality, do provide pretty terrific mids to my ears. This coming from a decades long guitar player with a particular preference for strong mids/highs. The bass from the VBs is awesome and is pure gravy for me.

So ...
Yes, the bass is awesome (probably the best I've heard), but they do lack mids. Thats why I don't use them anymore. For example, Sennheiser CX550 have ALOT more mids (same price range) as well as Playaz N3 (20€). And bass is awesome on both as well as clarity/detail. Xears TD100's a great example too. If you compare them side by side to the VB's you won't want to use them anymore. Just try Playaz N3 or Xears TD100 and you'll understand what I mean (for 20 euros they're worth trying) ; )

Old 07-19-2010, 06:52 PM

I've heard the Playaz - they're a rather muddy, veiled mess compared to the VB. But they can be nicely EQed to gain some clarity, by removing their midbass hump. They sure are interesting enough, for that price. Build quality is more on the pathetic side, though.

A more recessed or more forward midrange mustn't be a sign of quality, or lack thereof - this is mostly personal preference, according to one's listening habits. On lower listening levels recessed mids sound better, at higher sound pressure the human hearing prefers more prominent mids.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:53 AM

dfkt, Xears TD100 are so much better than Playaz. Give them a try if you can.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM

This thread must be the most informative one on IEMs I have ever set eyes upon. My hat goes off to dfkt for the time and effort he put into creating (and constantly updating) this spreadsheet and answering the many questions users might have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinz View Post
I took a look at the table but I didn't go through all 18 pages here so I apologize if it has been asked before.
Your term of good and bad soundstage is not refering the the size right? Like whether it is near/small or wide?
I would be quite interested in knowing the answer to this^ as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovesky View Post
In that case I believe it would be cool if you would write a small text trying to describe your personal preferences regarding sound/music, in your first post, so that new people who read this thread for the first time, and want to "study" your table, don't be mislead by the info in there.
Just a suggestion
The above suggestion would actually be very helpful IMO.

At the moment I have the Ultrasone HFI 780s and am venturing into the IEM world. Dfkt, would you mind recommending IEMs that have a similar sound signature as the 780s and maybe have a wider/more expansive soundstage? (I don't know if IEMs could ever have a wider soundstage than full sized cans, but I found the 780s to sound quite linear/2D)
You did approve of JxK's statement "Would it be correct to say that the FX700 is the HFI-780 of IEMs?"; however, I would love to know if there are any IEMs out there that sound similar to the FX700 but isolate more. Thanks.

I look forward to your auditive analysis of the Hippo Pearls, and I hope you will be able to acquire the numerous other IEMs users would like you to review.

All the best

Last edited by floeezy; 07-20-2010 at 10:14 AM.

Old 07-20-2010, 11:35 AM

Thanks for your kind words, Flooezy. Glad the thread is helpful for you. And I totally missed that post by Xinz - sorry.

Of course evaluating soundstage/stereo imaging of a phone with a simple "good", "medium", or "bad" doesn't tell the whole story. But going into more detail in that list format isn't really possible - not to mention I already sold at least half of the phones that are in the list, so I couldn't re-evaluate them properly - and going by auditory memory is unfortunately pretty much impossible, that leads to "audiophilia" instead of facts.

I not only evaluate soundstage by how wide it subjectively is portrayed in or around one's ears, but also how good the instrument separation is, how good single instruments or voices can be pinpointed inside this soundstage. Some IEMs do have a wide soundstage, but they display a simple "3-blob", left/center/right stereo image, with instruments muddled together, lacking some precision there. Then there are IEMs like the UE11 or SM3 which don't have a wide soundstage at all, but they more than make up for that with their extreme pinpoint precision. And some phones (like the Ety ER6) lack both, wideness and precision. Then there's also that some phones manage to portray a higher "bow", or sound "string", between the ears, creating the illusion of sounds being played in my forehead - while others are more linear, just straight between the ears, without elevation or deviation. A mix of these points is what I use for the soundstage column in the spreadsheet.

Hope this clarifies a bit.

Widest soundstages in IEMs seem to have all the "open" ones, unfortunately - such as the JVC FX700, or the V-Moda Vibe. The Hippo VB appears pretty wide too.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the very informative reply. I guess "open" headphones go hand in hand with the quality of soundstage/stereo imaging.
Of course, soundstage is an artificial means that headphone manufacturers use to create the "space" where the music was recorded in; however, I believe soundstage greatly contributes to the wow factor and makes listening to music engaging and enjoyable.

If the Hippo VB sound pretty wide and represent excellent value for the money, they should be in my ears right this instant.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I would say that the VB is an excellent value for money, with certain caveats, that you may or may not notice.

Old 07-25-2010, 02:39 PM

The Hippo VB looks very interesting but I can't find them anywhere in Europe, and does Hippo even have a website?

Old 07-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Brett_val: you can get the VBs from jaben.net

They do ship internationally - send Wilson an email...tell him you came from ABi. :-)
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-25-2010, 03:15 PM

Thanks lestatar While searching for shops I did come across jaben.net but I couldn't find any shipping costs on their website, and well I can image it will be pricey so I was hoping to find some shop on this side of the ocean.
I'll send that guy an e-mail though

Old 07-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Any time Brett_val...As for shipping costs, I cannot say, but for sure a few EU folks have recently gotten VBs.

Also, FYI, "Uncle" Wilson and Jaben have shown repeatedly that they will do the right thing for people in case of problems, either with the phones themselves or with delivery/shipping issues...

Good customer service :-D

Good luck!
-lestatar
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 07-26-2010, 05:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett_val View Post
Thanks lestatar While searching for shops I did come across jaben.net but I couldn't find any shipping costs on their website, and well I can image it will be pricey so I was hoping to find some shop on this side of the ocean.
I'll send that guy an e-mail though
Pretty sure they include shipping in the price, or so I've read from another user's experience.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Any time Brett_val...As for shipping costs, I cannot say, but for sure a few EU folks have recently gotten VBs.

Also, FYI, "Uncle" Wilson and Jaben have shown repeatedly that they will do the right thing for people in case of problems, either with the phones themselves or with delivery/shipping issues...

Good customer service :-D

Good luck!
-lestatar
lestatar, how long did it take for you to receive your VB's from Singapore--I'm assuming yours came directly from Singapore?

F/K/A Need Balance Control

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone