android
Old 02-09-2010, 04:43 PM

Default good

how is soundstage in shrooms compared to VB ??? personally i hate soundstage on VB it is too wide-like ( i perceive it like i am standing in gents room with doors open to great hall lol) i preffer tighter staging like re2 or re0 . u said its still too fresh to say , but once u will spend few more weeks with shrooms , can u tell me level of detail (resolution in mid+treble area?) u said it sounds funny so i guess u meant mids have some frequency jumps??? (if so u suggest treble might suffer from that in lower detail.... right???)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-10-2010, 02:28 AM

trauty, seems like they have the same soundstage and treble seems to be better.

dfkt, as soon as they're ready to rock, let me know about the Pearls, please. Pretty curious here

Last edited by miow; 02-10-2010 at 02:35 AM.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:02 AM

Just wanted to announce that we gave the Hippo VB 'Editor's Choice' on the frontpage. They should compliment our other choice phone, the bass-light Phonak PFE quite well.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:41 AM

Well deserved. Each day that bpasses I like them more and more. Sibilance gone completely after 500 hours burn-in/use. Smooth and clear. Best bass/sub-bass I have ever heard.

dfkt, what about a review to the Hippo Amp? I'm using it and it sounds TERRIFIC. Best bang for the buck. It competes with higher priced amps on my opinion. Give it a try and let us know your thoughts

Warm regards.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:01 AM

Added the Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB to the list...

Old 02-24-2010, 08:56 AM

Nice touch

Old 02-25-2010, 10:52 AM

Nice spreadsheet you got there, could I request that you try and add the westone um1 to that list as I would like to see how it stacks up against the rest

Old 02-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquis View Post
Nice spreadsheet you got there, could I request that you try and add the westone um1 to that list as I would like to see how it stacks up against the rest
Maybe if you buy it for him. Whatever is in the spreadsheet is what dfkt owns.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 AM

Yes please.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:52 PM

Added the Ortofon e-Q7, Audio Technica ATH-CK10, and Audio Technica ATH-CK100 to the list. Ortofon are amazing sounding phones, the CK10 are nice and interesting sounding, and the way more expensive CK100 are actually a bit disappointing. All three phones are Japan-only models.

Total MSRP value of the three added phones - $1260. (They're not mine, they're loaners from a friend.)

Old 03-04-2010, 07:44 PM

Now looking at your spreadsheet the doubt is: Phonak Audéo PFE or Hippo VB? I love crystal clear treble and they seem to deliver as well as good bass (which I love too)

Old 03-06-2010, 10:43 AM

Exactly how does one define 'microphonics'?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 PM

@dfkt,

How is Ortofon Qe-7 compared to PFE?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavenfish View Post
Exactly how does one define 'microphonics'?
If an iem has bad microphonics, then when you run with it or shake the cable while wearing it, you get a loud thump thump swish swish sound.If it has goo microphonics, you don't get this noise. Some people also call this cable noise.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh View Post
@dfkt,

How is Ortofon Qe-7 compared to PFE?
look at first post?

Old 03-06-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
look at first post?
The question was after looking at the first post. However, does not change the fact the question was vague. Was sleepy, but that's an excuse. Could have waited till morning to post like now

Qe-7's seem to be one of the newer "in" things in Head-fi alongside CK10 at the higher end of universal IEMs. But, I've seen more recommendations for CK10 than Qe-7. dfkt says Qe-7 are good, CK10 are not so great. That piqued my curiosity

I like PFE. When I compare them based on dfkt's table - Qe-7's Hiss is bad, less isolation (RE0 like?), microphonics is medium (aka bad), Treble quality and Clarity are better in PFE, rest of the sound characteristics about the same level. My question is for $210 more, does Qe-7 offer anything better (apart from the good build quality)?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:18 AM

The CK10 really aren't that super-great IMO, especially for the quite insane price - they're a bit too shrill treble for my taste and lack bass. They're nice, but not $350 nice, and they're a major hassle to get a good fit with due to the way too short nozzles.

The e-Q7 are similar to the PFE and SE530, combining the best of both. The speed, precision, clarity of the PFE combined with a more lush, full sounding midrange, and more bass. Doesn't reach the same level as the PFE concerning treble sparkle, but that can be EQed in. e-Q7 doesn't have the midbass hump and lack of sub-bass the SE530 have, and it doesn't have as much recessed treble either.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:46 PM

^I must say, the ortofons sound very interesting, if only I could afford them at the moment.
As for the ck10, I think the better question to ask would be, how do they compare to the PFE in terms of value at their current price point? $350 may be overpriced, but they are currently available for $200 - plus maybe $20 if you need to go shopping for tips to get a good fit.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:57 AM

If I had to choose between the two, I think I would go with the PFE, even if the CK10 are $200... with the PFE I have no issues listening to them for hours, while with the CK10 I have enough and need to take a break quite often.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:27 AM

e-Q7 seem like a good choice to try at the higher end.

ALO Audio and this Japan based ebay seller have international shipping options. Are there any other official options to buy them?

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone