android
Old 12-25-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
" It’s not the job of the writer to shop “price,” but rather evaluate the products performance and make a recommendation or state his opinion to you, which you can agree or disagree depending on your preferences."

I disagree. .................................................. .........
I think you have a complete misunderstanding of what mean when I stated "shop price," which certainly has nothing to do with making comparisons, including price comparisons. One thing meaning negotiating the best deal and the other is comparing price based on some standard … hmm MSRP

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2009, 04:54 PM

How would you guys compare the SHURE SE310 to the Hippo VB? I got a pair of VB's ordered already (one more week to arrive), but can't resist in going get a pair of SE310s tomorrow. Please stop me! :P

Last edited by miow; 12-27-2009 at 06:45 PM.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Where in the US can I get a Hippo VB at a good price?

Old 12-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Ive officially order a pair of Hippo VBs from Uncle Wilson's. Thanks again, DFKT. lol

Old 12-27-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Well, considering that their bass is compared to a $1150 ones, they're already at a great price. lol.

Last edited by miow; 12-28-2009 at 02:40 AM.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
You can only get them from the two stores I mentioned in my review.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miow View Post
How would you guys compare the SHURE SE310 to the Hippo VB? I got a pair of VB's ordered already (one more week to arrive), but can't resist in going get a pair of SE310s tomorrow. Please stop me! :P
Anybody?

Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 AM

SE310 are junk, please excuse my French. Any Shure besides the SE530 is way overpriced and underwhelming, IMO. Well, SE530 are overpriced too, but at least they sound halfway decent.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"You can only get them from the two stores I mentioned in my review"

That sucks. I won't pay MSRP on principle. Do you think discount retailers will get these eventually, or is there a plan by the manufacturer that these aren't to be discounted? I am not interested in paying $79 for this, but if it is discounted to under $50 sometime I might get it.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:12 AM

Don't buy stuff if you're not willing to spend money. I don't care why you don't want to pay - and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop crapping over my thread.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:02 PM

Thanks dfkt. You have saved me some money and time wasted

Let's wait patiently for the Hippo VB's to arrive. Probably till the end of this week. Can't wait!

Last edited by miow; 12-28-2009 at 07:18 PM.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
SE310 are junk, please excuse my French. Any Shure besides the SE530 is way overpriced and underwhelming, IMO. Well, SE530 are overpriced too, but at least they sound halfway decent.
dfkt, have you ever tried the SHURE SE310s? I'm asking this because I just got a pair for testing purposes and it sounds amazing. Crystal clear mids and highs with a powerful bass. These are the best IEMs I have ever listened to. I come from Sennheiser CX95s and the Shures sounds way better.

Now lets wait for the Hippo VBs to arrive (anytime this week) to see how they compare to the Shure SE310.

Last edited by miow; 01-07-2010 at 08:36 AM.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 PM

DFKT. if u remove yellow foam from ur RE0 and remove filters too , how does soundstage compare to PFEs ? i dont own pfes actually , but i suppose pfes has only filters with no foams inder at all. am i correct? in case there r some foams too , how does pfe sound when removed? i am asking , cause without re0 foams is soundstage improved significantly as well as details on mids and highs. i wonder why manufacturer even added that foam inside..
(ear wax protection etc... fine ... but still...) what u think about moded RE0. i am curious , i just wana understand better ur ears and perception in general ^^

Old 01-27-2010, 06:36 PM

Ok, I got my Hippo VBs and sound quality is FAR superior to the SHURE SE310s. In fact they put them to shame. Much much better bass & sub-bass (very high quality and quantity), better mids/soundstage and more treble. Sibilant unlike the Shures, but the overall experience is so much pleasant and immersive that you forget about it. Without sibilance these would be one of the best IEMs on the market. They sound lively and warm. Bass is so impressive that I'm completely addicted to them. Can't stop listening to this. After 100 hour burn-in SQ got even better. I used Pink Noise and a set of highly selected music where frequencies are higher than Pink Noise, which gave me better (or faster) results.

I couldn't recommend these IEMs enough. They are cream of the cream especially considering their price. Sorry about the terrible english, portuguese man here who doesn't speaks english since a long time ago.

EDIT: I got the Sennheiser IE8s recently and even having better treble quality, the overall experience is pretty similar. I still don't know if they are worth the $200 difference. Still figuring out. Will know after burn-in.

Last edited by miow; 01-28-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 PM

^ Thanks for your insight! I ordered my Hippo VBs yesterday. Can't wait until they arrive!

Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Ok, I got my Hippo VBs and sound quality is FAR superior to the SHURE SE310s. In fact they put it to shame. Much much better bass & sub-bass (very high quality and quantity), better mids/soundstage and more treble. Sibilant unlike the Shures, but the overall experience is so much pleasant and immersive that you forget about it. Without sibilance these would be one of the best IEMs on the market. They sound lively and warm. Bass is so impressive that I'm completely addicted to them. Can't stop listening to this. After 100 hour burn-in SQ got even better. I used Pink Noise and a set of highly selected music where frequencies are higher than Pink Noise, which gave me better (or faster) results.

I couldn't recommend these IEMs enough. They are cream of the cream especially considering their price. Sorry about the terrible english, portuguese man here who doesn't speaks english since a long time ago.

EDIT: I got the Sennheiser IE8s recently and even having better treble quality, the overall experience is pretty similar. I still don't know if they are worth the $200 difference. Still figuring out. Will know after burn-in.
Another portuguese here, who soon is going to buy the Hippo VB or Head-Direct RE0. Still trying to decide which one

Old 01-28-2010, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathie89 View Post
^ Thanks for your insight! I ordered my Hippo VBs yesterday. Can't wait until they arrive!
You're welcome. Will be waiting for your feedback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovesky View Post
Another portuguese here, who soon is going to buy the Hippo VB or Head-Direct RE0. Still trying to decide which one
Thats an hard decision. I was considering the RE0s too. Still pretty curious about them. Maybe we can arrange some meeting or so to listen to them both. I think that if you're more likely a bass-head the Hippo VBs are definitely for you, since their bass is of the highest quality, very refined and detailed. If you are more on the analytical side, maybe the RE0s are the way to go. Anyways the Hippo VBs have A LOT of treble and clarity.

Last edited by miow; 01-29-2010 at 12:05 AM.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

u may consider hippo shroom if you are looking for treble n clarity

Old 01-30-2010, 02:41 AM

How would you guys compare UE Tripple fi 10 pro with the Shure SE 530??
I own the SE530, I like the mids in them, and how sound stage is just awesome... and I have the Super Fi 5 Pro... they're also clear but the sound is kind like it's out of tube and just flat... besides the horrible fit :S... does the same thing happen in the Tripple fi or is it better??

Old 01-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
You're welcome. Will be waiting for your feedback

Thats an hard decision. I was considering the RE0s too. Still pretty curious about them. Maybe we can arrange some meeting or so to listen to them both. I think that if you're more likely a bass-head the Hippo VBs are definitely for you, since their bass is of the highest quality, very refined and detailed. If you are more on the analytical side, maybe the RE0s are the way to go. Anyways the Hippo VBs have A LOT of treble and clarity.

My problem is different, and no one but me can solve it. It happens that I still don't know what I'm really looking for.

In a way I like to ear the punch of bass in some metal bands I usually listen to, like Machine Head or lamb of god.
But in other way, I also listen to some Classical, folk, some 80's pop, and a LOT of "virtuoso" guitar stuff, like Paco De Lucia (ok, that's flamenco), satriani, petrucci, Jason Becker, Cacophony, etc. This makes me want clarity and a balanced sound.

Bah!

Tags
earphone, iem, in-ear phone