android
Old 08-10-2015, 02:31 AM

Default New Iem

Hello everyone, I'm new on this forum.

I listen Rock, Hard Rock and Heavy-metal with my Fiio X5 in lossless format, i will buy a new iem in the 300-400 euro, i like a neutral and natural sound without any coloration, i'm not a basshead and i don't like a power bass and a brighty medium and highs, sorry for my bad English i'm Italian.

Thanks, Carlo.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-10-2015, 06:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Carlo. A few questions. Which IEMs have you used in the past? Have you tried any that can only be used with the cable over the ear? I always find buying an IEM is a risk, as even if I like the sound, it might not feel comfortable on me. Many places won't accept the return of an IEM, or at the very least give people a hard time when returning one. Most people here don't buy such expensive IEMs. I suggest that you check out

http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portabl...n-ear-monitors

For reviews and information on somewhat expensive IEMs. IEMs have gotten much better over the past few years, and you might find that one which is less expensive to be pleasing enough. Having said that though, the Sony XBA-A2 IEM has three drivers for each channel, two Balanced armature ones and a 12mm dynamic. It has received rave reviews on head-fi. It is $190 on Amazon US, but seems to be much more in Europe. I haven't heard it, however I do have the Sony XBA-1 which is the first Sony balanced armature IEM and like it very much. The XBA-1 has just one balanced armature driver, which gives nice detail, however it doesn't give enough bass impact for those who want more of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBA-A2-Ba...ds=Sony+XBA-A2

Some people are afraid to spend plenty on an IEM as they tend to break them. If you damage the cable on an IEM frequently enough, then you might want to make sure that the one you buy has an easy to replace cable.

This thread has reviews of many IEMs, although some of the newest ones aren't reviewed.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mult...8-02-15-p-1075

Old 08-10-2015, 10:56 AM

Hi !

Unfortunately most Headphones and Iem of Sony i don't like sound signature because they sound bassy and not detailed (I i've listen the XBA H1 and MDR 1R) and i don't like them.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I haven't heard the XBA-H1, however if you like the midrange and treble of the XBA-H1, then you might like the Sony balanced armature IEMs with just a single driver. These have less bass impact, but have nice midrange and highs. I have the XBA-1 and like it very much even though its bass impact is less than that of other IEMs I have. The XBA-1 is discontinued, however you might like the XBA100, which is said to improve on it, or any other single driver balanced armature IEM, or perhaps ones with two balanced armature drivers. The ones that have a BA and a dynamic driver will be bassier.

The only Sony earphones I think would be too bassy for me would be the XB series. I have the Sony EX210, which produces strong bass, however it doesn't seem exaggerated to me. The Sony XB series though does produce exaggerated bass.
Perhaps you might like the Yamaha EPH-100 microdriver IEM? I haven't heard it, however it has gotten rave reviews on head-fi.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:50 PM

Honestly i haven't heard Yamaha EPH-100, in my country it's hard listen headphones. I escluded Shure Se535,Sennheiser ie 80 and Sony because i don't like them for rock, but i read on head-fi of people are very happy with Etymotic er4p and Westone um pro 30 or W40 but i can't listen these Iem.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianchip37 View Post
Honestly i haven't heard Yamaha EPH-100, in my country it's hard listen headphones. I escluded Shure Se535,Sennheiser ie 80 and Sony because i don't like them for rock, but i read on head-fi of people are very happy with Etymotic er4p and Westone um pro 30 or W40 but i can't listen these Iem.
Many people have trouble with how some IEMs fit, even if they like the sound.
Which IEMs or headphones have you listened to and liked? I want to get a better sense of the type of sound you like. Have you heard the Sennheiser HD598 headphone? Perhaps you should pick an IEM for only around $100 or so, since it is often difficult returning an IEM if you don't like it.

I never had any expensive IEMs, but did have some headphones that were expensive. These weren't that much better though than the best ones that were around 1/4 of the price. That is why I try to stay away from very expensive earphones and headphones now. The ones between $50 and $100 are the ones that sell in large volumes, while the ones over $200 sell much fewer units. Imo the best ones $100 and under give so much better value than the much more expensive ones. A $400 headphone or IEM might sound only around 20% better than the best $100 one. Is it worth it to buy the expensive one? Yes if you are very wealthy, imo no if you aren't so wealthy.

Old 08-10-2015, 03:08 PM

Last year i had a Shure Se215 for 120 Euro and don't like them, if i buy a new Iem in the low-range i think that they don't are an upgrade for me.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Last year i had a Shure Se215 for 120 Euro and don't like them, if i buy a new Iem in the low-range i think that they don't are an upgrade for me.
I haven't heard the SE215, however based on the reviews I have read, some find it too bassy. Many said it was annoying to put in and take out of the ears.

It depends which one. I am listening to the Sony XBA-1 right now, and find it quite detailed and with nice highs. When it is inserted deeply, with the end of the IEM even with the outer part of my tragus, it has more bass than when not inserted as far. If anything though even fully inserted I find it just slightly bass deficient. I guess you are right that if I find the XBA-1 with just a balanced armature to have around the right amount of bass, then I am likely to find the XBA-A2 to be too bassy. I was almost considering buying one, perhaps when the price dropped. I guess the XBA-100 might be more suitable for me. it is supposed to be a nice upgrade from the XBA-1.

There are other brands with balanced armature IEMs. Have you used any balanced armature IEMs besides the XBA-H1?

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...abmiPjRXOpS.97

https://brianli.com/in-ear-monitors-...namic-drivers/

Old 08-10-2015, 08:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I haven't heard the XBA-H1, however if you like the midrange and treble of the XBA-H1, then you might like the Sony balanced armature IEMs with just a single driver. These have less bass impact, but have nice midrange and highs. I have the XBA-1 and like it very much even though its bass impact is less than that of other IEMs I have. The XBA-1 is discontinued, however you might like the XBA100, which is said to improve on it, or any other single driver balanced armature IEM, or perhaps ones with two balanced armature drivers. The ones that have a BA and a dynamic driver will be bassier.

The only Sony earphones I think would be too bassy for me would be the XB series. I have the Sony EX210, which produces strong bass, however it doesn't seem exaggerated to me. The Sony XB series though does produce exaggerated bass.
Perhaps you might like the Yamaha EPH-100 microdriver IEM? I haven't heard it, however it has gotten rave reviews on head-fi.

I have the EPH-100's and I listen to a lot of heavy metal/industrial etc. Bang for buck they are very very good, but I find they can be very hissy depending on what sources they are plugged into. Connected to certain Cowon's with DSPs active and it is very hissy, the hissiest IEM i have ever heard tbh. But when plugged into my Alien Shozy they are dead silent so a lot of it has to do with pairing.

For example, I have the PFE 232's (worth $600 new) and the Yamaha EPH-100's come damn close to them, when connected to certain sources. Considering I bought the EPH-100's for $75AUD, it's a steal.

They are also very comfortable, due to their size, I use triple flange tips and get a nice seal and they don't hurt.

A good place to start perhaps.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:12 PM

There are other brands with balanced armature IEMs. Have you used any balanced armature IEMs besides the XBA-H1?

No

Old 08-10-2015, 09:18 PM

300 Euro Iem are better than 300 Euro Headphones ?, i don't listen classical music and soundstage not is most important in Rock or Metal but when i listen over ear Headphones i "feel the music" better than a Iem

Old 08-11-2015, 01:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I have the EPH-100's and I listen to a lot of heavy metal/industrial etc. Bang for buck they are very very good, but I find they can be very hissy depending on what sources they are plugged into. Connected to certain Cowon's with DSPs active and it is very hissy, the hissiest IEM i have ever heard tbh. But when plugged into my Alien Shozy they are dead silent so a lot of it has to do with pairing.

For example, I have the PFE 232's (worth $600 new) and the Yamaha EPH-100's come damn close to them, when connected to certain sources. Considering I bought the EPH-100's for $75AUD, it's a steal.

They are also very comfortable, due to their size, I use triple flange tips and get a nice seal and they don't hurt.

A good place to start perhaps.
It is funny that you mention hiss again. Yesterday when I was listening to my Clip Zip using my Sony XBA-1, I heard hiss for the first time with this combination. As I said before, very mild hiss is something I normally subconsciously prevent myself from hearing when I listen as usual using low volumes. Yesterday, even with a rather low volume, I heard hiss. The strange thing was I heard it much more in my left ear than my right ear. I think part of the hiss being audible comes from the earphones having extended treble. The reason hiss isn't normally audible with many IEMs is that they roll off the highs quite a bit. At least with the XBA-1 the highs aren't painful. With the Grado SR60, and the JVC HAFX40, some of the highs were painful, even at low volumes. Only some headphones or earphones that seem bright to me give me painful treble. I am wondering what causes this? Could it be that since the XBA-1 is a balanced armature design, it can sound bright without hurting my ears?

Old 08-11-2015, 01:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Maybe...

Personally I have not encountered 'fatigue' with any IEM, and I have extended listening with a heap of IEMs... guess I'm lucky. This goes for the same with treble, I haven't felt any be too piercing yet, could be I have lost some of the frequencies due to loudness >

Old 08-11-2015, 02:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
Maybe...

Personally I have not encountered 'fatigue' with any IEM, and I have extended listening with a heap of IEMs... guess I'm lucky. This goes for the same with treble, I haven't felt any be too piercing yet, could be I have lost some of the frequencies due to loudness >
When highs are painful to me it isn't fatigue, but more like a piercing feeling, like my ear drum is being attacked by the music!
This can happen with some earphones or headphones even at rather low volumes. It happen momentarily depending on the music being played.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:54 AM

I view the Etymotic er4pt,Earsonics sm3 v2 and Westone um pro 30 between these what is the best for me ?

Old 08-11-2015, 01:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I view the Etymotic er4pt,Earsonics sm3 v2 and Westone um pro 30 between these what is the best for me ?
I haven't heard these. Did you read the reviews of them on head-fi and Amazon? Some on Amazon complained the Westone is lacking bass, so you might like it. A few complained about the build quality. Some on Amazon also complained about the build quality of the Etymotic. I don't know how rough you are with your equipment. For such high prices though, there is no excuse for making fragile products. Some people on Amazon also complained about the build quality of the Earsonic. I would buy something much cheaper. Anything portable is bound to break sooner or later, and I would be very upset breaking something that cost me $300 or more. If I break an earphone for around $50, I won't feel so bad. Even if a $100 one broke it wouldn't upset me that much.

The mid priced ones, $50 to $100 or so, are made in large quantities, and with some of them, much more effort seems to be put into making them built much stronger than these expensive earphones made in small numbers.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A reason why--breakage--I appreciate phones/buds with a separate cable. Have a Shure IEM with attached cable and the cable is coming undone, exposing the wiring--very distressing to have, with an otherwise perfectly wonderful IEM.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh, the first thing to break with headphones is usually the cable. I actually won't buy a $200 IEM/Can without detachable cable, it's fine for the cheaper sub $100 headphone but much higher than that and I want a replaceable cable.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And ya' know, it's more than the cost--it's having something you like that works well and then losing what you like.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'll spend $200+ on a DAP with more comfort, as so far <touches wood> none of my DAPs have actually had a fault. But I can't keep track of all the IEMs that have died on me due to faulty cabling, it really seems to be a susceptible failure point for what can be an expensive purchase.
I also wonder about weather having adverse effects on cables. Where I live in Australia I can shift 20degrees centigrade in 12hrs easily (Winter 0>20, Summer 20>40), sometimes my IEMs (or cables) can sit in the car glove compartment, I wonder if going through drastic temp changes like that can be healthy for them...