android
Old 12-30-2013, 12:24 PM

Default Any good? Audio Technica ATH-PRO500MK2

Hello all it's been a while!

So my sony daily drivers are pretty much done and I have a feeling the jack is going to just separate it's self from my cans and the pads are shedding like mad.

I thinking of picking up the Audio Technica ATH-PRO500MK2 as my new daily otg cans. I've had a chance to hear them and handle them and I like what I saw and heard. I wanted to know if anyone has owned them for a while or if there is something I should know about them, build quality wise, etc.

-Al
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Happy New Year Adub!!!

Now, I owned these and I'd recommend getting the ATH-M50 instead. These are uncomfortable, the headband is too tight and isn't easily modded to fit the head. The SQ is also a step BELOW the M50. The Bass is less & muddy, the mids are way too recessed. And the highs really are almost nonexistent. Pass bro,...Go M50 instead!!!

Old 01-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

ATH-M50 has a V shaped sound signature so the mids are recessed too. The ATH-A900 and ATH-A900x are more well regarded because it has a more neutral sound and wider soundstage. They are not portable however.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
ATH-M50 has a V shaped sound signature so the mids are recessed too. The ATH-A900 and ATH-A900x are more well regarded because it has a more neutral sound and wider soundstage.
According to the measurements at headphone.com, the Audio-Technica ATH-A900, compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, has weak low bass, is down about 17 dB at about 6 000 Hz, and has rolled-off highs. Objective measurements, therefore, would appear to indicate a less-neutral headphone. http://www.headphone.com/buildAGraph...n=Update+Graph.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
According to the measurements at headphone.com, the Audio-Technica ATH-A900, compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-M50, has weak low bass, is down about 17 dB at about 6 000 Hz, and has rolled-off highs. Objective measurements, therefore, would appear to indicate a less-neutral headphone. http://www.headphone.com/buildAGraph...n=Update+Graph.
I haven't heard the A900, but had the M50 before selling it. The M50 mids are definitely recessed. Probably not so much recessed technically but the lows and highs are exaggerated compared to the mids. Therefore, it sounds recessed. From the graph, the A900 looks like it tames the bass and highs of the M50.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I owned the PRO500MK2, and the mids are more recessed on it than on the M50. They're a step down in sq, not up. I have no idea about the other hp's mentioned.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimran View Post
I haven't heard the A900, but had the M50 before selling it. The M50 mids are definitely recessed. Probably not so much recessed technically but the lows and highs are exaggerated compared to the mids. Therefore, it sounds recessed. From the graph, the A900 looks like it tames the bass and highs of the M50.
I also have not heard the Audio-Technica ATH-A900. I have the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s, which, apart from its straight cable, is supposed to be identical to the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 with its coiled cable. I like the sound of the M50s. There is no widespread agreement on what a pair of neutral headphones should sound like. But one claim is that the “curve is essentially a tilted straight line with the bass end about 10dB above the treble end.” http://www.innerfidelity.com/content...phone-response.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I do however, have the AD900 which are the opened version. The treble of the AD900 is stronger than than of the ATH-M50. The bass however, is very weak on the AD900, way way weaker than than the M50.

So if I have to guess, the ATH-A900 is in between the ATH-AD900 and ATH-M50 in terms of sound signature.

As for neutrality, most audiophiles agree that no headphones can be perfectly neutral and every listeners have different perspective, but if they have to choose one as the most neutral, the consensus pick for dynamic headphones is the HD800 although graphs suggest HD600 is more neutral.

Last edited by aimran; 01-06-2014 at 08:24 PM.