android
Old 03-15-2016, 03:28 PM

Default Flac VS Bluetooth?

So since a lot of people say that Bluetooth SQ is inferior to wired then I'm curious if using Flac with Bluetooth headphones and speakers makes a difference?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-15-2016, 04:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well... I've had experience with various bluetooth devices over the years, and here's my 2 cents.

- At first bluetooth was sucky, horrible bumps and hisses etc, but ever since the development of apt-x codec for streaming, I have to say this hasn't been a concern.

- I believe things have moved on substantially and that even modern Bluetooth devices that don't support apt-x is still of a similar quality standing.

- As someone who has done a little ABX testings, my ears cannot ascertain a difference between FLAC and MP3 files (wired connection), so for me the idea of using FLAC wireless seems redundant.

- apt-x is considered close to lossless for streaming (I think), I would imagine the difference between streaming FLAC or mp3 to being negligible.

- I have experienced apt-x speakers, and I find them to being similar to wired experience, what lets the sound quality down is the speakers themselves rather than the signal.

- When people talk of the sound quality being inferior to wired, I can't help feel it's more to do with equipment being used rather than the direct criticism of bluetooth. If you could keep your favorite wired headphones, connect/use a bluetooth receiver to them, then do some blind testing whereby the signal at sometimes is being sent wireless and other times wired, and the user had to guess which is which (similar to ABX testing) then I think the results would shock. I no doubt believe those that think bluetooth is inferior is because they know it's bluetooth and placebo kicks in etc. It is like the whole Hi Res argument all over again, those that say they can tell the difference between FLAC and mp3 etc never submit abx testing results...

- Where Bluetooth legitimately has issues is drop outs etc, waver to far from source, or have a lot of walls or people between the source and receiver and the quality is worse due to cut outs.

I have just bought a Sony NWZ M504, it is a bluetooth receiver of sorts, I hope to put it through the tests over the coming month, so stay tuned for that, it may provide extra insight.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the thoughts and impressions, Bruce!

And by-the-way, the Sony player looks nice! Only wish it had a microSD card slot, and transmitted BT to headphones.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
Thanks for the thoughts and impressions, Bruce!

And by-the-way, the Sony player looks nice! Only wish it had a microSD card slot, and transmitted BT to headphones.
That's what the A15/17 does, and only weighs about 20g more (I think).

People gave the M504 a bad slating but that's because they didn't understand what it's real intent purpose was. Lots of 1/5 stars on amazon because it doesn't stream to BT headphones lol. It's akin to buying a model airplane then being unsatisfied that it does not in actual fact fly. heh.

No... the purpose of the M504 is to pair with a smartphone and stream across the music whilst being able to answer phone calls, whilst still using the headphone choice of the user as well as an upgrade in amplification than the norm equivalent has.

There are a heap of BT receivers already, Sony even makes a few, they weigh perhaps half as much (20g vs 40g), but they lack the power and other features this thing has.

This will be handy for me in the Gym, I can leave my phone in my gym bag which is never more than 10m away from me.

EDIT: I'm keen to know if it increases the volume past what the phone can achieve.

I have a Jaybird apt-x bluetooth transmitter somewhere, I aim to connect this to several different sources and see how we go, whether the M504 works with it or not is another matter.

I think 8gb is plenty for gym use, this is clearly aimed more towards that specific use etc.

So whilst it would be nice that it had those other things, there are other things out there that do that already, this is a niche device for sure.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 03-15-2016 at 06:59 PM.