android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 10-29-2014, 05:43 AM

Default Best practice to prevent your cables from breaking? Best case carrying case?

I quote from various threads:

Chef has to wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
It's really a matter of learning how to take care of your cables. I've written my own guides before on the topic, but here's what someone from naxos had to say: ***link to crappy advice removed, anyone that's interested look up naxos blog*** Most of the guide is fine, except in my opinion you should never wrap up your cables if you can help it, especially for thin cables on IEMs and earphones. That's basically how cables weaken over time, and if you never make hard bends then your cables will last way longer.
Interplay: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=73760

skip252 has to say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Please don't post anymore links to that terrible advice on how to destroy headphones.
Conflicting views; but still no solution or detailed.

So all in all I just want to know of how to take care of your cables, how to fold or not fold them; how to store them, especially on the go; which type of those carrying cases are recommended and which are not? Thanks.

Last edited by skip252; 10-29-2014 at 09:56 AM. Reason: I did say not to post that link again didn't I?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-29-2014, 09:36 AM

I just loosely wrap my iem cables around four fingers and put them in a little cloth sack that I carry around in a zipper bag with my J3. I put the zipper bag in my shoulder bag (aka man purse) for the commute to/from work. If I need to transport them somewhere where they may be prone to more bumping and knocking I will put them in a hard case, but that's rare.
I'd like to hear more advice on this topic as well.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Administrator

There's not much more to it imo. Doing what you are now I haven't had an IEM fail in over 4 years. I take the time to untangle the cables, give them a loose 4 finger wrap and put them a neoprene case or altoids tin.

If you stuff them in a pocket or wrap them around the DAP you'll kill them. If you take a few seconds to not destroy them they last. If you don't, they won't.

Edit: I will use this technique if I'm going to store them long term. You'll note that there can be drawbacks as noted in the comments. I haven't run into any of the problems there except the cable tends to "remember" the wrap. I let them dangle with a Clip+ or something overnight and that mostly goes away. After I use them for a day or so the memory effect wears off. YMMV with stiff or flat cables.

Last edited by skip252; 10-29-2014 at 10:12 AM. Reason: link to enzos cable wrap added

Old 10-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The only thing I might add is, when I am wrapping the cable around my fingers, I flip the cable at each turn so that the wires aren't twisting. Read about this years ago and seems to make sense--who knows if it makes a real difference in the end.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
The only thing I might add is, when I am wrapping the cable around my fingers, I flip the cable at each turn so that the wires aren't twisting. Read about this years ago and seems to make sense--who knows if it makes a real difference in the end.
+1

I believe it's called a gaffers' coil. Prevents tangling when the coil is unraveled.

Old 11-06-2014, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Edit: I will use this technique if I'm going to store them long term. You'll note that there can be drawbacks as noted in the comments. I haven't run into any of the problems there except the cable tends to "remember" the wrap. I let them dangle with a Clip+ or something overnight and that mostly goes away. After I use them for a day or so the memory effect wears off. YMMV with stiff or flat cables.
Seems like a worse idea for the cables' lifespan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
If you mean

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPcJD7RVuY

this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-74OEVUOKOw

or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuRm5wYEvLs

it is definitely a better idea; even has its Wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over/under_cable_coiling

I guess better to learn it by asking a local professional to show it in person; the only question is, how to Goolge for this in non-English, so I don't have to go with this request from door to door.

Old 11-06-2014, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Seems like a worse idea for the cables' lifespan...
Do what you think works best. You may want to consider I'm not the one trying to figure out how to stop from destroying my headphones.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:13 AM

Best video on how to properly roll those cables: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPcJD7RVuY