android
Old 03-21-2016, 04:42 PM

Default Bluetooth/A2DP compatibility: 4.0 VS 2.1?

I've been looking at some inexpensive Bluetooth IEMs to use during training, however, the specs only list BT4.0 + EDR Class 2 as supported; the old smartphone I'm using as a music player only advertises BT2.1, EDR and A2DP support.

From a quick Internet search I got the impression that BT 3.0 and 4.0 added functionality that doesn't affect the A2DP/EDR protocols needed to support stereo BT headphones.

Is this really the case? are the earbuds going to work or not?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, BT 3.0 and 4.0 were more for low energy devices like smartwatches. Should work just fine even with older devices, oldest device I've tested my momentums on is my age of Original HTC Desire (Nexus One) that has bluetooth 2.0. Bluetooth 4.0 headphones are usually way more battery efficient, but it doesn't effect how well they work with older adapters and such. Sometimes things just won't work, and there's really no good reason like PS4 not working with almost any bluetooth headsets (most likely a software restriction) my official Sennheiser BT adapter not working with my Sennheiser Momentum's and my old work HP laptop not working with any bluetooth headphones, unless they are in the shitty "headset mode" even with the mic disabled.