android
Old 05-16-2006, 11:17 AM

Default Tips and Tricks for the Z5...

Be creative with the "Shuffle by Composer" option:

The "Shuffle by Composer" option on the Z5 can be customized to anything you like. All you have to do is right click your track (or tracks) in the music library window of WMP 10 to acces the "Advanced Tag Editor." Click the "Artist Info" tab and you'll be able to edit the "Composer" field with the adjective of your choice. Here are a few suggestions:

Want to play your music by Mood? No problem! Simply replace the Composer tags with words such as Nostalgic, Playful, Dreamy, and Sexy and your Z5 will be prepped and ready to go! (This comes in handy for people who use their DAP's as a jukebox for powered speakers in the bedroom )

Alternatively, you could also use the Composer fields to reflect different situations, ie. Road Trip, Meditation, or Jogging. Really the possibilites are only limited to your imagination. Even though the retagging process can be time comsuming, the payoff gives Z5 users an exclusive customized parameter for playing their music.

Optimize your photo browsing experience:

Synchronize with Windows Media Player 10 (or 11) to transfer all your photos

Window Media Player automatically resizes your photos to a Z5 friendly VGA resolution (640x480 for landscape orientation; 360x480 for portrait orientation). You COULD use a seperate image editor to resize your photos to 800x600 for slightly better results (most of the Samsung Wallpapers use this resolution), but its not really worth the extra effort IMHO. I've tested with many different resolutions and I've found that the VGA resolution provides an acceptable balance between image quality and the amount of refresh time it takes for images to display. Syncing photos via WMP also saves a LOT of space -- 2 MB photos get reduced to a much more efficient size of 50-100 KB!

Organize your photos with Windows Explorer

WMP 10 does NOT give the user control over how pictures are categorized on the Z5. All images, in other words, are placed in the Pictures folder on the Z5. If you have a large quantity of photos on the Z5, you can use Windows Explorer on your PC to help organize your Z5 photo collection. Here's how it works:

1) Assuming that you've already synced your photo collection (using WMP) to the Z5, set up an MTP connection with your PC and open up the Z5 icon that is displayed in the "My Computer" directory.

2) Navigate to your photo collection (open the Media Folder, then the Pictures Folder) and select all your images; Cut and Paste them to your desktop.

3) Create new folders on your desktop (eg. Family, Friends, Vacation, Pets, Girlfriend, etc...) and click and drag your Z5 images accordingly.

4) Drag the newly assembled folders back to the Pictures folder on the Z5

After you've done this, you'll find that your new photo folders are recognized by the Z5 GUI. This provides a superior photo browsing experience for large photo collections. Its a much better alternative than trying to navigate to a single photo that is shared with a multitude of other images.

Picture Error Fix

For problematic images that refuse to display on the Z5 (you'll see a Picture Error message when this happens), try resaving them with a different/basic imaging program such as MS Paint or PictureGear Studio. The simple act of resaving a problematic image(s) with a different program creates a new file that is compatible with the Z5. You can transfer your newly saved images via WMP or simply drag them to the 'Pictures' folder on your device. I'm not sure why this works, but it does! (Thanks goes to Slaughter for finding this fix)

Shortcuts:

Main Menu Shortcut:

Press and hold the Menu button (the top arrow buton on the outer square ring) and it will take you straight to Main Menu. This is useful if you are navigating somewhere deep within a (sub)context menu.

Wallpaper Shortcuts:

In Picture mode, navigate to the desired thumbnail and press and hold the Select button (anywhere on the entire touchpad) until you see the message "Set Wallpaper"

You can also switch the wallpaper in the Welcome Screen by using a light tap on the touchpad (typically to the left or right) and you will see the wallpaper switch accordingly -- sometimes this takes a second or two so be patient for the switch to occur.

I'm going to make this thread Sticky so feel free to add your thoughts and I'll affix them to the list accordingy!

Slydini

Last edited by Slydini; 06-12-2006 at 10:53 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-22-2006, 03:57 PM

Great tips. But for the whole "shuffle by composer", couldn't you just make a playlist with advanced sorting options on WMP? You can do advanced ID3 tagging and specify a mood without messing with the composer, then go to playlists and create playlists that automatically contain all the songs with those moods. Then you just shuffle within those playlists on the Z5. Tell me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that just be easier?

Old 05-23-2006, 03:05 AM

Yes, you're absolutely right Kisuke... The moods example that I previously suggested would be more efficient using the method that you described. But you could also make the argument that playlists have the potential to replace ALL the shuffle options that are offered on the Z5; Be that as it may, there are many users out there that still use the Z5's shuffle options as their primary/preferred method for playing music. The main idea I was trying to convey was that with a little creativity, the 'Shuffle by Composer' option gives Z5 users an extra customized parameter for playing and/or shuffling their music.

The Z5 is the first DAP I've owned that gives users an extensive choice of shuffling options. As a result, I now have a rejuvenated incentive to go through my music collection (thousands of songs) and finish editing the ID3 tags (as if I needed something ELSE to keep me occupied on the computer! ). Once I've accomplished this long overdue goal, I like the idea and simplicity of letting the Z5 sort things out. In this respect, the Z5 shuffle options are really nothing more than a filtered playlist that changes automatically and accordingly with songs that are added and/or removed. The dynamic feature of these shuffle options has admittedly made me overlook the potential of creative playlists. This is probably a discussion that warrants an entire new thread... thanks for bringing it to my attention Kisuke. I'm going to edit my first post accordingly and include ideas/parameters that are not already addressed in WMP.

Last edited by Slydini; 05-23-2006 at 03:20 AM.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:36 PM

The shuffle options with the Z5 are definitely one of the most comprehensive shuffle features I have seen in an audio player, as you say Slydini. Only issue is it is all based on tags, which is OK if yours are set well The Z5 could improve on this by allowing better folder browsing/shuffle capabilities like the YP-7X/Z i think it is, one of which I have until I'm happy with the Z5 or find something else.

Old 07-16-2006, 03:04 PM

[QUOTE=Slydini]Be creative with the "Shuffle by Composer" option:

Optimize your photo browsing experience:

Synchronize with Windows Media Player 10 (or 11) to transfer all your photos

Window Media Player automatically resizes your photos to a Z5 friendly VGA resolution (640x480 for landscape orientation; 360x480 for portrait orientation). You COULD use a seperate image editor to resize your photos to 800x600 for slightly better results (most of the Samsung Wallpapers use this resolution), but its not really worth the extra effort IMHO. I've tested with many different resolutions and I've found that the VGA resolution provides an acceptable balance between image quality and the amount of refresh time it takes for images to display. Syncing photos via WMP also saves a LOT of space -- 2 MB photos get reduced to a much more efficient size of 50-100 KB!

I have tried for ages and can't see how to make WMP reduce my file sizes automatically! I can get the photos onto the Z5...but they stay the same size as originally. How do you get the files sizes to reduce with WMP?

Old 07-16-2006, 06:30 PM

If you want WMP 10 to resize your photos, all you have to do is add the photos to the WMP 10 library by selecting the "Add to Library" option. Once you've added the photos, you should be able to highlight them in the WMP Library tab and Drag them over to the sync list in the column on the right side (Make sure you select the 'Sync List', NOT the 'Now Playing' List). If you don't want to click and drag, you could also highlight the selected photos and Right Click them to choose the Add To> Sync List option.

After you have chosen which photos you want transferred/resized, you still need to select the 'Start Sync' button, which you'll find in the lower right hand corner of the Sync List (Assuming you're in Library mode and you've already selected the Sync List).

That should be it! Assuming that you photos didn't come from a VGA digital camera, photos that are 1 Megapixel and higher should get automatically resized by WMP.

Let me know if you're still experienceing problems.

Slydini

Old 08-20-2006, 04:44 AM

Normalising Files

The possibility of adding a file normalisation feature to the Z5 has been mooted.

It's not impossible, but there is an easy alternative in the free download "MP3Gain". http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

This will allow you to set all your tracks to a common "loudness".

The action is reversible if used with the default settings.

The only problem is that if you also play your MP3's via your normal audio system you will lose the contrast between levels in a particular album, and these contrasts may well be intentional.

You can get round this by normalising albums as a whole (i.e. the loudest tracks on each album will be equally loud), but this does mean that you may still find quiet individulal tracks obliterated in a noisy environment.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 PM

Default The Buy List

You can also ass items to "The Buy List"
I'm not sure what it is used for, since you have the song, why would you want to buy it? lol

Anyway... when you are playing a song, select and open the "Now Playing". When you see the Album Art, press the big center button, and hold it down until it says "Added to Buy List".