android
Old 05-27-2007, 06:58 PM

Default I'm sick of Apple...get a Zen?

Yea, so, as an avid art enthusiast, I've been an Apple fan for the past 2 years. Bought myself a Mac and learned OSX pretty much overnight (not that hard), and, since I like music, got myself about 3 different iPods over the course of 2 years(currently have a Gen 2 nano).

But now I'm just SICK OF APPLE!! Their company policies, treating their customers like COMPLETE RETARDS, over simplifying EVERYTHING, its DRIVING ME NUTS!! I feel myself getting stupider everytime I boot up OSX or use my iPod. Not to mention everythings so damn limiting and resrictive. I cant upgrade my Mac, I cant use anything (well) besides an iPod, I feel like Apples bitch!!

SO yea, I was considering a Zune (and a PC for college), I tried out the Zune interface and really liked it, but I didnt hear the sound quality. I just read a thread in the Zune section of the forums here that its pretty bad though. Thing is, idk if I'd even tell, cuz I use ghetto $20 Skullcandy buds.

My friend has a ZVM, and I really like it, but im not a fan of touch controls (Nano click wheel took care of that pretty quick), and I was considering the Zune because of its all tactile control, but if the ZVM has infinetly better sound quality, to the point where id notice it through $20 buds, then I might consider otherwise

So please, help a man out here leave his Apple crutch behind him, what should I do?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-27-2007, 07:11 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonic_bunny View Post
But now I'm just SICK OF APPLE!! Their company policies, treating their customers like COMPLETE RETARDS, over simplifying EVERYTHING, its DRIVING ME NUTS!! I feel myself getting stupider everytime I boot up OSX or use my iPod. Not to mention everythings so damn limiting and resrictive. I cant upgrade my Mac, I cant use anything (well) besides an iPod, I feel like Apples bitch!!
LOL... i have quite a bit of experience with Macs as well... and you could not have said it better than this... =) bravo...

Anyway... The Zune is a nice device.. my issue with it is its mediocre sound quality... but like you said if you are using relativity cheap headphones it will make no difference.

OTOH... the Zen Vision M is a great all around player. But if you dont like touch controls it may be a bit annoying for you... im not a fan of touch interfaces either... they are just too inaccurate... However, if you are into Video the ZVM has an awesome looking screen and will play many video file types without conversion.

The Zune has a nice big screen and does video almost as well, but the pain is you will need to convert any video you put on there.

Also with both of these i have had no connection or transfer problems with either of these on Vista machines.

Either way... both are better than the ipod... all bias aside

Old 05-27-2007, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
LOL... i have quite a bit of experience with Macs as well... and you could not have said it better than this... =) bravo...
lol thanks man.

Would you know if the sound quality is better then an iPod? I mean, I'm still uncertain if I'm gonna go Zune or Zen(think I might play around with my friends Zen M a bit more), but I dont think I'll consider the Zen if its a step DOWN from an iPod, thats just a bad investment choice.

And I've yet to have any desire to watch a video on a portable device, not even my 15" notebook, so thats pretty much a non issue

Old 05-27-2007, 08:04 PM

Quote:
but I dont think I'll consider the Zen if its a step DOWN from an iPod, thats just a bad investment choice.
Ummm... there have been SEVERAL, no wait TONS of debates on the web as to whether the zen is an uprgade to the ipod.

basically, they are both comparable to each other.

read this chart to get the complete facts though:

http://dapreview.net/zune_vs_ipod_vs_zvm.html

The ZVM doesn't seem like a downgrade at all does it now?

Old 05-27-2007, 08:21 PM
ABI Founder

Also check out the reviews
Zune Review
Zen Vision:M Review

Old 05-27-2007, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keybowvio View Post
Ummm... there have been SEVERAL, no wait TONS of debates on the web as to whether the zen is an uprgade to the ipod.

basically, they are both comparable to each other.

read this chart to get the complete facts though:

http://dapreview.net/zune_vs_ipod_vs_zvm.html

The ZVM doesn't seem like a downgrade at all does it now?

LOL sry my bad I meant is the ZUNE a downgrade...again srry bout that...

Old 05-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The ZVM would be a considerable UPgrade to sound quality. With the iPod, getting anything better than those $20 headphones you've got would simply be a waste of money. With the ZVM, the quality of headphones costing hundreds of dollars can still be appreciated (though you don't need to spend that kind of money to still appreciate the sound quality - there are a number of buds and IEM's that are reasonably priced that will still do the ZVM justice).

As Enzo stated, the Zune's sound quality is so-so, and probably on par with, or slightly better than iPod's sound quality. Another big thing going against the Zune is its similarity with iPod in that it uses a proprietary transfer protocol (it is not PlaysForSure compliant), and forces you to use specific software and online music store. In fact, the only real functional difference between the Zune and the iPod is the name.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:21 AM

You might want to check out this page to, it has links to tons of reviews on the Zen vision M

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-N22bH...RUXcxcxH4?p=42

good luck!

Old 05-28-2007, 08:26 AM

Demonic_bunny, do you still use an OS X computer, or are you back on a Windows PC? I'm not quite certain, after reading your posts... you said you're "considering" a PC.

If you're deciding to stay only with the Mac, stay away from the Zune or Creative players (or any other MTP player), they don't work well with Macs. Better get an UMS/MSC player in that case (iRiver, Cowon, Archos, Meizu, some Samsung players, etc...).

Old 05-28-2007, 02:21 PM

But, if you GOING to use a pc, id suggest a Zen. beautiful screen. Hey Enzo, does the Zune really have mediocre quality? w/e, i trust you more than the other reviews on it, they state that it has sound quality better than any other player.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:57 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyg View Post
But, if you GOING to use a pc, id suggest a Zen. beautiful screen. Hey Enzo, does the Zune really have mediocre quality? w/e, i trust you more than the other reviews on it, they state that it has sound quality better than any other player.
The Zune's sound quality is good at moderate volumes, but it starts to fall apart when you crank the volume up. To me there is not enough push or power behind it... if that makes sense. Also the extreme highs and lows are a bit less clear compared to for instance a reference CD player as well as the iAudio X5.

Now you also have to remember that i am using a Sennhieser HD650's on a Bithead amp, connected with Cardas cables. (around an $850 setup). That said, if you are using sub $100 headphones the difference may be minimal and there will be no difference if you are using stock earbuds.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:34 PM

yeah thats why i trust you lol. what would you say when comparing to another player, the Zen Vision:M?

Old 05-28-2007, 08:58 PM
ABI Founder

The ZVM along with most of the creative line up i think sounds above average... a bit more rich than the Zune and more clarity at higher volumes.

The ZVM doesn't quite live up to the X5, but its not too far away. Both at a flat EQ they are very close, but adding a touch of the X5's BBE enhancements gives it an edge.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

yes, I sometimes wish Creative had kept the EAX enhancements that had made the Nomads so good.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
The ZVM along with most of the creative line up i think sounds above average... a bit more rich than the Zune and more clarity at higher volumes.

The ZVM doesn't quite live up to the X5, but its not too far away. Both at a flat EQ they are very close, but adding a touch of the X5's BBE enhancements gives it an edge.
yes very true, how much i hunger those enhancements lol.. i want more bass!! but it suffices.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
yes, I sometimes wish Creative had kept the EAX enhancements that had made the Nomads so good.
What enhancements did these have exactly? like better bass and stuff? doesnt Creative own EAX?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't remember what all EAX had. Yes, EAX is Creative's, but for some reason they never put it in their Zens.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:02 PM

ZEN for the WEN.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:24 AM

Thanks for uploading this, it gave me something to read on my lunch break.

Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
In fact, the only real functional difference between the Zune and the iPod is the name.
i think you might be mistaken on this, i suppose their are trade-offs for other features, games VS radio, audio book vs wifi. thats about all i recall that stand out to me, but ive never used an ipod much more then @ a friends house playing with his broken 1 that wouldnt sync anything to.

personally the zune does not scratch except for the screen, however it is larger, but i like that feel(i have belkin acrylic case for my zune and it nearly doubles its thickness) the touch pad on a ipod, well... really i fucking hated that instantly, im not thrilled about the zunes Dpad either but, hitting volume and fast forward at the same time happens occasionally but, whatever i could not select any songs quickly with the ipod.

but hey i do like creatives products i am going to say if you were going to buy 1, go for the 60gig ZVM. its like $100 less then an 80gig ipod with i would say a dozen more features.

Quote:
cuz I use ghetto $20 Skullcandy buds.
i have $30 skull candy smokin buds, and really... i dunno about sound quality all that much, but they fit so good and really you cant beat for the price, and i tried JVC marshmellow buds, they hurt my ears they expanded way to much because they are soo firm.

heres my solution to your problem. you cant decide on the zune or ZVM, goto walmart or wherever the hell sells both products(we have a supercenter) it has both, and a few other products.

pick up a Zvm first, because you need to experience the quality of the product since you already love the controls and interface of the zune, check out all of its features and then compare it to the zunes on reviews and websites like this. use it for like 3-7days, return it and pick up a zune and do the same. they cant really do anything to you for testing out a product like that

MAKE SURE YOU RETURN THEM BEFORE 15 DAYS AFTER YOUR PURCHASE YOUR PRODUCT, IN FACT ASK THEM ABOUT THEIR MP3 PLAYER TURN POLICY. i went to return my zen stone that broke nearly 1month later(my walmart has a 90 day return&refund policy) and they was like, nah we cant do this its after 15 days

btw, if you think my idea of returning a product after a few days usage is immoral, i am sorry but test driving a car would seem immoral by those standards since its the same thing on a shorter basis with a 100+ times more expensive product.

Last edited by jessy; 06-29-2007 at 03:10 PM.