android
Old 05-15-2006, 07:55 PM

Default How to make playlists

How do I get more playlists than just the "GO list" that is on the player (e250)? I've tried adding playlists that i have in Windows Media Player, but they just transfer the songs and do not move the playlist file with it. I'd like to be able to make playlists for running, relaxing, working out, etc. I can find nothing in the manual or the website FAQ.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-15-2006, 08:47 PM

Default MTP mode and AutoSync for Playlists

Quote:
Originally Posted by moteasa
How do I get more playlists than just the "GO list" that is on the player (e250)? I've tried adding playlists that i have in Windows Media Player, but they just transfer the songs and do not move the playlist file with it. I'd like to be able to make playlists for running, relaxing, working out, etc. I can find nothing in the manual or the website FAQ.
You'll need to use AutoSync mode in WMP, connected via MTP mode.

In WMP setup Playlists for all the content you want playlists for, then connect your device, then on the Sync tab choose "Set up sync" ... in that interface you must enable Automatic Sync'ing and then all your possible playlist choices will be available to choose from.

The ones that you choose will be AutoSync'd then, when ever you connect. Be sure to only have that AutoSync enabled when you are connecting in MTP mode and when you want to actually Sync.

You have to have your player connected in order to actually turn AutoSync off, so be mindful of that if you want to use MSC mode ever.

If you don't turn it off, in MSC mode you'll get all your sync items doubled on the device and make a mess of things.

In any case, that is the way, in MTP mode, use AutoSync with WMP Playlists, and then all the music files will transfer into your device and all the Playlists associated with them will be available on your device under "Music", "Playlists".

If you already have content on your device you'll want to check it out in Windows Explorer after you sync, to be sure things aren't doubled or tripled, or whatever, that's a waste of space and ugly on the device interface to have many things overly redundant.

You can drag and drop files into the Media folder of your device in Windows Explorer while in MTP mode. I'm not sure how friendly that is to choosing them in a playlist to Autosync at a later date, with them already on the device.

In the case of MSC mode, you can also drag and drop files, but these are the ones that will cause a problem if you go and try to Sync in MTP mode the same things that are there via MSC mode.

The short story though is that you sound like you want Playlists of all your stuff, so using AutoSync in MTP mode is the only way to do that, currently.

It's said that you can get playlists in MSC mode, but it's a complex manual-ish process that hasn't worked for me yet, only works to save a Go List so far, but I've found that MTP Sync mode wipes out all my lists, so if I do save a Go List, I give it a different name and then save it on my computer so I can put it back later if I want.

I'm probably going to just wipe everything off my device and start over soon, since I too do want Playlists and can't get them the way my files are set up right now (I have larger media files on my computer that I use there, and smaller files on another hard drive for putting on my device, and since I want playlists, I'll have to swap how I do things in order to have functionality of playlists that go with how I use my media files. FWIW.)

Hope the above helps you.

Old 05-15-2006, 09:53 PM

Thanks a lot for the direction. I was just dropping the playlist in the left pane and hitting sync. I went through the "set up sync" method and it worked for me.

Old 05-15-2006, 11:25 PM

Any idea how to load playlists without WMP? In MSC mode? Thx.

Old 05-16-2006, 08:45 AM

Also - any Rhapsody-To-Go subscribers successful at getting playlists to work through that interface? I can only get playlists to transfer using the WMP10 method described by Maisy...

Old 05-16-2006, 09:03 AM

Default Manually creating Playlists, MSC mode

XATAX, I've tried to make playlists for content on my device already, and drop them in Playlists when in MSC mode.

You have to be able to convert to a PLP playlist, and there are conversion tools out there you can find on the web to do that with a M3U playlist ... so you have to save your playlist in that format first, convert it to PLP, then change the interior to "HARP" where it says "HDD" and then fix the "path to track" according to how you have your files on the device.

But then you will begin the 'I can't get this to work' phase and get frustrated.

If I build a Go List in the device, and then put the device into MSC mode and connect, I can go into the Playlist folder with Windows Explorer and grab that file. I save it on my computer and give it a new name.

I can put it back onto the device in MSC mode and it'll work, but I can't do much with it. I really can't say that I've had success externally changing anything, except filename. I have sort of, but I have to play with it more today to be sure of what I've done that works.

I will tell you that you can search for playlist in this forum and find directions to try to make playlists to drag and drop in MSC mode. I haven't gotten them to work really.

"Go Lists" and Auto Sync'd "Playlists" I have been able to save on my computer, and put back onto the device via drag and drop in MSC mode. So one thing I do is listen to a few songs and get them on the Go List and then connect in MSC mode, grab the Go List, make copies of it and rename each copy and play with them. It's one way to get a few short playlists. "Go List" disappears easily, so if you grab and save a few every now and then, you can build a "Custom Named Bunch of Go Lists", at worst.

I'll be playing with this all today to see what I can do with the Go and Auto lists, if changing them does in fact work or not to what degree. I'll report back.

I want to be able to make Playlists for content already on the device and floop it onto the device at will, so I'm trying to find an easy way, wasting time trying to find an easy way. Too much complexity about this, but I am determined to waste time trying.

I have determined it's good to get all the SYNC'd Playlists you have on your device in MSC mode and archive them on your computer. There are times when you might want to manually put them back on.

A side note about Playlists: I have seen in Windows Explorer in MSC mode that the AutoSync'd files all have a .alb file, it's hidden, but what it is, is "a little one track PLP playlist" that's all it is. I don't yet know what it does, I do not think the other track have that .alb file with them, I'll have to see. I do see that in them sometime the track is duplicated, so I'll watch and see if maybe it's a "Sync count" or a "Play count" sort of thing, or what can be done with them.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Thx Maisy for your input. It seems it's still a real hassle to transfer playlist in MSC mode. Hopefully we'll find a nice solution.

Old 05-25-2006, 02:26 PM

Jeez, I couldn't figure that out Maisy.. I made the playlist in WMP but when I hit SYNC it started copying songs that I already have in my player, Now I've got about 60 files on my player that were already there but now they are listed twice. Is there something I am not doing correctly that would be causing this? That Go To playlist function on the player just seems like it would take forever..

owner of Sansa e260

Old 05-27-2006, 12:35 PM

My only complaint about the player has been the seeming difficulty of putting playlists on it. But this is my first MP3 player, and I have no experience making and uploading playlists anyway. When I first read this thread it was like Greek to me, but now I'm pretty sure I could get Maisy's WMP method to work. I just wanted to stop in and suggest that people neatly tag their MP3s before exporting them to WMP's library and making playlists. Since the player will be sorting the MP3s by their tags (artist, album, genre), whether they're correct or not. And if you change the tag after you've included the MP3 in a playlist, the playlist may no longer recognize it (perhaps it does, I'm obviously no expert).

Anyway, after downloading a few overcomplicated MP3 tag editors, I found a very nice one I'm recommending here http://www.mp3tag.de/en/ (freeware of course).

Don't give up fellow newbies, it'll start making sense to you eventually!

Last edited by JohnnyGordon; 05-27-2006 at 12:38 PM.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:06 PM

I'm figuring this out myself too. When I sync'ed again, it did not copy the tracks that were already on the unit. But if I make an error, I simply use the windows explorer to get to the folder and delete the tracks and start over. I have about 150 songs only so if you have more, it will take you longer.

You must have the tracks and the playlist already for the following steps in WMP10. As Maisy state, be in MTP mode.

1. Start media player.
2. Connect unit through usb - media player should be ready to sync
3. Click on "Sync" tab on the top
4. Click on "Set up Sync"
5. Make sure you the playlist is checked
6. Click on "Start Sync"

I'm listening on my unit now so I can't try this, but I am curious. There is a playlist folder on the unit when hooked up to my (in my case) laptop. There are playlists I created using WMP10 on my laptop. Could I simply copy the playlist onto the unit's playlist folder...as long as I have all the same tracks? If this works - it would be the simply copy & paste for both the playlist and the tracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Whip
Jeez, I couldn't figure that out Maisy.. I made the playlist in WMP but when I hit SYNC it started copying songs that I already have in my player, Now I've got about 60 files on my player that were already there but now they are listed twice. Is there something I am not doing correctly that would be causing this? That Go To playlist function on the player just seems like it would take forever..

Last edited by asimo; 05-29-2006 at 11:18 PM.

Old 05-30-2006, 01:34 AM

From what I have seen, the PLP format is fairly straitforward. If there is demand for it, I could create a simple editor/sorter. What features would people like to see in such a program?

Old 05-30-2006, 11:01 AM

Default Playlists

A quick history...

Long time MP3 users, Dell DJ15 (original model, HD based). 95% of my use is audio books. They have been an addiction of mine for 15 years. I fall asleep by reading and I just love them.

My DJ started being problematic about 1 year after I got it. Because I am regularly downloading new books to it (typically 500Meg each), it would hang up all the time. It has become a total frustration because getting books onto it is such a pain and results in much screwing around. In addition, the HD has froze 3 times requiring mechanical "assistance" to free it up. It is still kicking and will use it for music when I do.

So, I just bought a 4G E260. The pricepoint for a 4GB (my minimum in my head) dropped to where I pulled the trigger. The reviews made me decide the Sansa was for me.

My plan is for the Sansa to be 100% audio books. Playlists are a KEY, if not THE key feature for this use. Track order is the key (try following a book where the pages aren't in order).

After much reading on the web, this is a problematic part of this device. I finally got it sync up, send a couple books with a functioning playlist after reading the E2XX review thread (MAN is that sucker long). There was a method using Media Player auto-sync that worked. However, the player does occasionally reset during transfer and, frankly, this sucks as the playlist gets hosed and double files get created. Plus, sometimes it THINKS its OK when it's not and then resets when you use the playlist.

After I send the book to the player, I expect to be able to delete from my hard drive. It should stay on the player until I specifically delete it. Well, that doesn't work with the auto-sync method. I can't find a setting that says "don't remove from player, just add".

Why I can't drop a playlist into the "playlist" folder baffles me. Why there is NO documention regarding playlists in the manual or on their website baffles me. This seems to be the "square wheel" in the otherwise fantastic wagon (Island of Misfit Toys analogy). But, it is a pretty big square wheel in my guage of things.

So, I am trying to decide whether to keep it or not. I love everything about it, but my REQUIREMENTS are as follows:

1. Reliable download all the time
2. Playlists working in correct order all the time
3. Battery life

1. I hope my problems are short term. They only seem to happen during WM10 syncing and not during a file copy. So, if I can just pull the folders over and still be able to drop a playlist, that will be OK.
2. Explained already
3. Seems really good. Reviews are good.

I like the extras I get with this player. The size and look are great. The radio with "DVR" functionality is sweet. Pictures and videos are nice, but not why I use this. Some complain about calendar, games, etc. missing. Not why I bought this.

So, I will continue to look into the playlist thing. I saw some reference here to another playlist format that works, so I'll look into that. Also, someone mentioned writing an editor. That would be cool. I have tools to create .m3u files, so I just need a convertor.

Thanks to those that helped me to the point I'm at. Hopefully Sandisk can get the playlist thing worked out!

Jazman

Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 AM

Default Audiobook Playlists

I too, use my player for audiobooks, almost exclusively. What I do is rip the CDs using WMP 10, then build a playlist there with all of the files in order. Then in the synch settings, just check the playlists you want to keep on the player. Just leave it checked until you are ready to delete it, then uncheck it. I usually have 2-3 books on mine at a time.

I didn't originally use WMP and didn't want to. I was also frustrated by the inability to do playlists any other way, but I finally gave in and it has worked well for me, so now I just go with the flow...

I haven't had a single problem with a track order or skipping files or anything, since I started doing the playlists this way. I tried importing existing playlists into WMP then loading them, but that didn't work either. Only by building them in WMP do they seem to work well, but like I said...I just gave in. It takes about 30 secs to build a playlist for a 10 CD book, adding one disc at a time. All in all, I am thrilled with my e250, and once I found methods that work, I have suffered none of the frustrations that I read about in here. My only wish is for a bookmark function, but that only tends to be a problem when I recharge. Otherwise I just use the resume function to return to where I was.

Old 06-01-2006, 04:05 PM

First, in response to something Big Al said: You mentioned that when you sync with your PC you just uncheck the box when you're ready to delete the book from the player. However, this method (which is the only thing that works), requires you to keep the files on your PC in addition to your player. If you remove the files from the PC (separately), WM10 notices that and proceeds to remove them from your player as well.

As to my comments above, I wish I would have taken this thing back. WM10 and the sync'ing is buggy for me. My player periodically resets during syncup and I get partial transfer and an error message. If you resync again you end up with a mess with duplicate files and playlists that don't work.

The PLP (or renamed to .PLA) format is easy to figure out and a simple text editor will let you convert the common formats to something identical to the files created during the syncing process (I copied playlists from a WM10 sync back to see what they look like).

BUT - The player WILL NOT LET YOU COPY IT TO THE PLAYLIST FOLDER and use it. If you copy it in MSC mode, it doesn't show up in the playlist list. If you try to copy it over in MTP mode, it gives you an error saying that the format isn't supported.

So, I'm stuck with a buggy transfer method which is the ONLY reason I wanted to migrate away from my Dell DJ. That has had buggy transfers and with audio books, you're transfering all the time...

Frustrated in WI...
Jazman

Last edited by Jazman; 06-05-2006 at 11:01 AM.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby1
Also - any Rhapsody-To-Go subscribers successful at getting playlists to work through that interface? I can only get playlists to transfer using the WMP10 method described by Maisy...
You have to drag the playlist to your e2 on the left side of the Rhapsody software and then it will show up in the list. If you also use auto-sync in WMP as well, WMP will delete your Rhapsody playlists and you will have to go drag them back to the device each time you use WMP. Hope that helps.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:42 PM

If you want to get the playlists to show up when using MSC mode change the file extension to .PLA.

HTH

Old 06-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Changing them to PLA is what I thought would work, but it doesn't. I tried for an hour last night to get them to show up in the list. I created all my own playlist by hand and it never would show up in the list. Did you create one by hand and get it to show up?

Old 06-03-2006, 02:58 AM

I used a playlist editor to create a playlist in m3u format. Then, I converted it with a PLP Playlist generator I found on this site (scroll down about 3/4 of the page, look for PLP Playlist Genertor in bold red letters.) After that I opened the PLP list in TextPad, changed the paths of the songs, saved it, changed the file extension and copied it to my Sansa in MSC mode.

Old 06-05-2006, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beethoven
I used a playlist editor to create a playlist in m3u format. Then, I converted it with a PLP Playlist generator I found on this site (scroll down about 3/4 of the page, look for PLP Playlist Genertor in bold red letters.) After that I opened the PLP list in TextPad, changed the paths of the songs, saved it, changed the file extension and copied it to my Sansa in MSC mode.
Are you saying by copying the .PLA/.PLP playlist to the player in MSC mode you get it to show up in "Playlists"?!? Exactly what folder did you copy it to?

I have done this but can't get it to see the playlist in playmode. If this has truly been successful for you, please provide details.

Thanks,
Jazman

Old 06-05-2006, 01:32 PM

Yep, got it to work, here is a what I did.
  1. Create m3u playlist. I used Playlist Creator 3.
  2. Convert the m3u playlist to a PLP playlist. You can use this converter, there is a GUI interface for it that makes it a bit easier.
  3. The tricky part opening the PLP playlist to change the path to the songs on your device. I had problems using Notepad, so I tried TextPad on the recommendation of the site above.
  4. Change all of the HDD to HARP. (HDD, System\Music\Goo Goo Dolls-Let Love In-01-Stay With You.mp3 would become HARP, System\Music\Goo Goo Dolls-Let Love In-01-Stay With You.mp3)
  5. Change the path of the song to the path on your device. ( HARP, System\Music\Goo Goo Dolls-Let Love In-01-Stay With You.mp3 would become HARP, MUSIC\Goo Goo Dolls\Let Love In\Goo Goo Dolls-Let Love In-01-Stay With You.mp3
  6. I also removed the extra line breaks in between each song and found no adverse effect.
  7. Save and rename the file to .PLA. (Goo Goo Dolls - Let Love In.plp would become Goo Goo Dolls - Let Love In.pla
  8. Copy to the PLAYLISTS folder on your device, the same one with the Go List.plp in it

I am attaching the Goo Goo Dolls list I created if you want to try it out, rename the extension to .pla.

I think the key here is TextPad. Notepad will not save the file with the NULLS in between each character and thus it is not a valid PLP/PLA playlist.

It is a long process and I think the MSU playlist editor that zivan56 created and posted to these boards might be a better solution.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Goo Goo Dolls - Let Love In.txt (1.9 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by beethoven; 06-05-2006 at 01:41 PM.