android
Old 09-02-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonC View Post
Thank you, but my computer wasn't even detecting the K3 after. It was not in "My Computer" anymore. I decided to go exchange it for a new one, and if I can't get it to work, then I will just refund it altogether.

Disable Samsung Media Studio. It does a lot more harm than good.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-02-2007, 03:05 AM

Oh, and don't add files (MP3's) until AFTER you update the firmware, else you won't have enough space to update.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:55 AM

Thanks for the info. I have windows 2000, so had to ask a friend with XP for assistance. Two hours later we realised it was the anti-virus software on his laptop that prevented us from copying the .rom and .img file onto the device. Once that was figured out, the upgrade of the firmware happened smoothly.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:56 PM

Good to know and glad to hear it finally worked for you. Hope you like the updated firmware. Been having a blast with it myself.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:48 PM

HELP
i did the upgrade followed the instrustions now get no space for DB. delete at least 18mb error it will not let me reformat giving me a

and it is reading it as a mass storage device
what do i do?

Old 09-06-2007, 12:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I wouldn't expect formatting through SMS to work at this stage, I suggest using My Computer.

P.S. The update will cause the K3 to be considered as a mass storage device.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:20 AM

ok will try thanks

Old 09-06-2007, 12:30 AM

woot ok so it worked i was afraid it would totally wipe the player

Old 09-13-2007, 12:08 AM

umm okay... help me please oh god! I had it on version 3.05 JN & I tried to do the 4.03. I got the files on it okay, then i took it out, turned it on, it started upgrading firmware... Then I got that DB error... I tried turning it off and on & putting it back on the computer, but it won't turn off and the computer no longer recognizes it. the usb will beep when i put it in but i can't see it in my computer. so now it's only a highlighted touchpad.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern View Post
umm okay... help me please oh god! I had it on version 3.05 JN & I tried to do the 4.03. I got the files on it okay, then i took it out, turned it on, it started upgrading firmware... Then I got that DB error... I tried turning it off and on & putting it back on the computer, but it won't turn off and the computer no longer recognizes it. the usb will beep when i put it in but i can't see it in my computer. so now it's only a highlighted touchpad.
Have you tried pressing the reset button? If it has no response then nothing will you will, and you will have to wait until the battery drains before you can charge it and try again.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:18 PM

Thanks for this valuable information. When I connect my player, a viewer pops up
displaying the contents of the (MTP) device. However, neither can I drag files
into it, nor do I find a place to format the device. Can anybody please help ?
(Sorry, I'm a windows newbie. I would be more than happy if I knew how to
upgrade the firmware from within Linux ;-) )

Thanks,
Stefan

Old 09-13-2007, 02:02 PM

As usual, I figured it all out right after sending the mail:

While I wasn't able to write to the root folder, I could drop he 4.03 firmware files
into the DATA folder. Once I rebooted, the firmware was upgraded, and I could
see the device as an ordinary storage device, allowing me to format it, and upgrading
to 4.06.

Thanks again for all the information !

Old 09-13-2007, 06:00 PM

k 4.03 is working now... but i can't download 4.06 for some reason.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:14 PM

Alright everything is working now... does samsung media studio 5 have an upgrade too? will my k3 still work with it?

Old 09-15-2007, 12:08 AM

Okay uhh for KRN Version 4.03, can you browse music with ID3 method?
I upgraded right away to 4.06 and realized I could only browse via File Browser.. sucks

Old 09-15-2007, 05:53 PM

Page

I'm not sure but I think if you want browsing by ID3 metodh you must instal firmware software which works as MTP and them player automatic separates files by albums, tracks, artists, genres.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:37 PM

anyone else think the 3.05 is better?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:27 PM

it's most likely bound to be in the 77 pages of this sticky but I can't use my wmp 11 to sync to my k3, everytime i start wmp if the k3 is connected it freezes up when i hit the sync tab. Any suggestions?

Old 10-20-2007, 10:49 PM

Default 4.03 has display problems, 4.06 is OK

I upgraded my YP-K3/JAB to firmware 403 ( firmware had to be copied to the DATA folder). I got the DB error but that went away after a format. The K3 was now detected as a USB drive. The problem was that the display did not work properly. Mostly blank with occasional blocks of colour.

Upgraded to 406 and everything worked fine. I can just drag and drop my music folder from my PC and everything is organised the same way. I guess it is a matter of preference but I find this much more intuitive. I can now transfer files from my work computer where I am not allowed to install third-party software.

I can now delete the crappy Samsung software from my PC. Great!

Old 11-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Cool Upgrading firmware - not without worries

Hi everybody.

It was a true relief to discover that I was not the only one that was very disappointed with the K3's way of functioning as well as the Samsung Media Studio 5 and that there was a solution. I also had the problem that the USB-port on my auto radio wouldn't recognize my K3 as a USB-device.

I succeeded upgrading from FW 3.05 WA JN to FW 4.06 even if it wasn't without worries. After reading/skimming all four pages I found it the right way to start my upgrading process with 4.03 and then go to 4.06.

To prepare I downloaded all the necessary files.

I used the recipie in the first posting from daneel in this thread: Step 2 is formatting the K3 which I did from inside Media Studio 5.

At step 3 I got my first worry. I could not copy the two "system files" into the root directory. Luckily I have read about that somewhere else so I copied them into the Data folder. Then things worked as described until step 6.

I got the message but I was not able to repeat step 3 and 4 because the device was not recognized as formatted by my Windows XP. The only thing to do was trying format the K3 with Windows format option, but honestly I was afraid this would corrupt my player. But that wasn't the case.

Formatting through Windows selecting Fat32 made the device ready just like any USB-memory stick and I could copy the two files YPK3.IMG and YPK3.ROM into the root of the K3.

I disconnected the USB cable, turned the K3 on and it told me it was upgrading and as I remember, it turned itself off. And now it works!!!

Thanks for all good advices - but as you see: The recipie in the first posting could need a brush-up if anyone has the time.