android
Old 05-07-2007, 06:35 PM

Default I cant write to my Sansa! It says read-only

I recently upgraded to feisty fawn of ubuntu and i can't write files to my sansa anymore. also, the player has been corrupted or something cause when i turn it on, i can go to the song list but if i try playing anything, the play timer says 0:00 to 0:00 and it comes back to the song list screen. And also, i have a 2GB sansa but it says that i have 5.4GB on it, with 406MB free space. Any suggestions?

Screens:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...enshot-1-1.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...reenshot-2.png

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-07-2007, 07:19 PM

Tried deleting it as root?

sudo rm *.jpg

Old 05-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try my recovery program not sure if it would work on linux tho
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 05-08-2007, 03:36 PM

not sure what sort of problem you're having, but you might want to make sure you're mounting it correctly. Try remounting rw as root.
Code:
umount /mnt/sansa
su
passwd:********
mount -rw /mnt/sansa
Whoops, you're on Ubuntu: no root user
Code:
umount /mnt/sansa
sudo mount -rw /mnt/sansa
Depending on what ubuntu set it up as and what you have automounting set up to do that may or may not work. You could try looking at /etc/fstab to make sure that is mounting it properly. If it isnt in /mnt it might be in /media. The device you want is /dev/sda1.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried doing a fsck?

Charles

Old 05-10-2007, 12:30 AM

I have an E260 (MSC mode) that I run on Feisty x86 (new install, not an upgrade). When I connect it up, it automounts with no issues... here's the relevant mount setting, for your reference:

/dev/sdd1 on /media/SANSA E260 type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,shortname=mixed,uid=1000,utf8,uma sk=077)

I get a iPod-like icon on my desktop, as well. Not a USB drive icon, like you are getting. Also, I noticed in the screenshots that you are running Nautilus as root, or perhaps your whole desktop? I don't even see my Sansa if I run Nautilus via "sudo".

Given that the player itself seems affected, it sounds like a re-format is in order. Do you dual-boot with Windows or have a Windows VM that you can use (ie. VMWARE Server image?). As mentioned in a previous post, I'm not sure if you can properly format it in Linux (I haven't tried that yet, myself).

Good luck, Brian

Last edited by roebeet; 05-10-2007 at 12:38 AM.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:52 PM

thanks guys for the suggestions. I got it working finally by using my other win2k machine and using RCM's recovery program and i've got to say it worked perfectly. in fact, now i have a custom eq and there are some minor refinements. So thanks again.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:48 AM

I have the same program, but I don't know how to use the recover program. It tells me to select the 16MB partition - what is this?
When I plug in my e260 in WinXP I get two drives.. One has nothing on it, and says it's 0MB. The other is the Sansa, with all my music on it. If I select the 0MB one (which I assumed would actually be the 2nd, 16MB partition), I get an error message.. What am I supposed to be doing?

Old 06-16-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
I have the same program, but I don't know how to use the recover program. It tells me to select the 16MB partition - what is this?
When I plug in my e260 in WinXP I get two drives.. One has nothing on it, and says it's 0MB. The other is the Sansa, with all my music on it. If I select the 0MB one (which I assumed would actually be the 2nd, 16MB partition), I get an error message.. What am I supposed to be doing?
The second drive is for a MicroSD card...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-02-2008, 04:30 PM

Hello guys,

I have the same problem louis mentioned. Player refuses to be written on. Mounting whatever stuff doesn't help, and the player additionally hangs when updating the database. I guess it's time for a firmware update and complete renewal. But how do I get the firmware on the player when I don't have write access? Unfortunately, there's no Win-PC use RCM's script.

Can I use the player option "format" to help him get the firmware? Or will mkfs do the trick?

Help appreciated

greetz joe

Old 09-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

well this thread is over a year old...so you may not get much action to it...

but I see the problem...

There's no Windows symbol! lol

Old 09-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Joeda, are you in MTP or MSC mode? What firmware version do you have on the Sansa?

Old 01-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Exclamation Can't write files to Sansa, read only?

I can do pretty much everything on this page except actually transfer files to the Sansa drive (16mb) as it comes up saying it is read only. I happen to run an Ubuntu laptop, so if anyone can help, please be as detailed as possible. I'm a Ubuntu-noobie (sounds like a star wars character).

Old 01-05-2010, 07:51 PM

2 things.. If your e200 USB mode is set to AUTO or MTP then set it to MSC mode. Use CHKDISK in Windows, (or Ubuntu equivalent) to check and repair files, memory on your e200. If the above fails I would take all content off your player and reformat it (NOT THE 16mb RECOVERY PARTITION!). Then put your music etc back. This should correct any problems you are having with your 16GB player. Good luck!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooperchix View Post
I can do pretty much everything on this page except actually transfer files to the Sansa drive (16mb) as it comes up saying it is read only. I happen to run an Ubuntu laptop, so if anyone can help, please be as detailed as possible. I'm a Ubuntu-noobie (sounds like a star wars character).
The 16mb drive is the recovery partition on the player where ONLY system files are stored...no music, pics, video. Trying to put stuff in that restricted area will screw up your player.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:08 PM

bro, do not fuck with the 16meg partition. I had an e260 (also running a ubuntu computer) and I had to use the e200tool to fix after I got a black screen of death.