android
Old 08-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

General Issues

Q: The Zen Vision:M says it has a 30 GB storage area. However, on "My Computer", underneath the icon, it says 27.8 GB. What's up with that?
A: The reason has to do with binary vs. decimal numbering systems. A "true" 30GB drive has 32,212,254,720 bytes (1024^3 * 30). What a lot of drive manufacturers have chosen to do instead is represent 1kB as having 1,000 bytes instead of the correct 1,024, so the drive in your ZVM was calculated by the drive's manufacturer using the formula 1000^3 * 30 to equal 30GB. This means your 30GB drive has an actual capacity of 27.9GB. A little bit more space is taken up by the ZVM's firmware, settings storage, and filesystem overhead.

Q. I've lost the CD that came with my ZV:M! What do I do?
A. You'll have to contact Creative Customer Support for a new CD. As an alternative, you can download the CD here (for 30GB) or here (for 60GB). Please note that if you are running Windows Vista, the Creative software is unnecessary, unless you really don't want to deal with WMP11.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Closed Thread