android
Old 05-05-2007, 07:25 AM

Lightbulb Look Mum! MuVo with No Batteries Required

I have a MuVo TX and its a great little player.

I like the idea of running an audio player straight from the wall socket without the need for batteries. Imagine that, it wont run down and you dont need to waste money on new batteries every week.

The pictures speak for themselves.

Wall_Charger_and_MuVo_On.jpg

MuVo_Blue_Light_Wall_Charger_On_no2.jpg

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-05-2007, 08:12 AM

Smile

Captain,

This basic arrangement does show that some things may be possible with this and other Creative players.

It proves the following:

1. The MuVo didnt blow up or smoke when plugged into a so-called "standard USB wall charger". This one is rated at 5 Volts and 1 Amp.

2. A USB cable (with the data pins disabled) could be used as a pure power connector between the player and a PC USB port. Normally, the MuVo player will dock with the computer and then switch the audio functions off. This new method potentially allows the computer to power the MuVo player while allowing the player to play.

3. The MuVo battery pack can still be used for portable application, thus extending its battery life.

4. In my view the sound quality of the MuVo TX is better than the newer Zen V or Neeon 2. So ...... Long live the MuVo TX.

Thanks

Old 05-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziny View Post
Captain,

This basic arrangement does show that some things may be possible with this and other Creative players.

It proves the following:

1. The MuVo didnt blow up or smoke when plugged into a so-called "standard USB wall charger". This one is rated at 5 Volts and 1 Amp.

2. A USB cable (with the data pins disabled) could be used as a pure power connector between the player and a PC USB port. Normally, the MuVo player will dock with the computer and then switch the audio functions off. This new method potentially allows the computer to power the MuVo player while allowing the player to play.

3. The MuVo battery pack can still be used for portable application, thus extending its battery life.

4. In my view the sound quality of the MuVo TX is better than the newer Zen V or Neeon 2. So ...... Long live the MuVo TX.

Thanks
Actually your first point is very good, didnt think of that.i guess thats because the wall charger simulates a PC usb port, and the player is then made to be used with both 5V and 1.5V. or the battery casing contains a power convertoir to get it up to 5V but thats not really logical ass it would burn out a small AAA battery very quickly

oh yes the muvos are very good when it comes to SQ, but mine always ell apart because of plastic casing. all metal muvo TX would be very nice

Old 05-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I believe the USB power is stepped down through a simple voltage divider. The MuVo is not designed to be run on USB power, but that facility was designed in to allow for access to its Recovery Mode and firmware updater from the PC. I'm actually impressed that it can run normally on USB power!

Old 05-05-2007, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
I believe the USB power is stepped down through a simple voltage divider. The MuVo is not designed to be run on USB power, but that facility was designed in to allow for access to its Recovery Mode and firmware updater from the PC. I'm actually impressed that it can run normally on USB power!
well while connected it runs on USB power anyways which is 5v so it has to support it...

Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 PM

Nice Mods. But seriously, what's wrong with a couple of sets of rechargeable batteries.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That would be too easy. Some of our best innovations came from people who looked at something and asked themselves, "what would happen if I did this to it..."

I think this USB cable idea could have some useful applications!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
That would be too easy. Some of our best innovations came from people who looked at something and asked themselves, "what would happen if I did this to it..."

I think this USB cable idea could have some useful applications!
yeah like on malls for example, just cram some ugly ass music on the player and use it for mall mosaic or what they call it

Old 05-08-2007, 12:30 AM

Wink MuVo TX / USB Mod DONE !!

I thought I would stop talking about it and do it ....

Its WORKING.

I bought a 1 meter long Male-Female USB cable and modified it with a knife and tape.

I cut away the wire braiding and exposed the five wires - the black and red power lines, the green and white data cables and the metal drain wire bundle.

I disabled the green and white data cables by making staggered cuts and cutting a segment of each green and white line out so they could not touch ends. I wrapped the cut lines under and over the main cable bundle so the wires and cable were isolated and tidy (with cellotape).

I plugged it all together and presto. It works great.

It must be the smallest and highest quality player out there now.

Photo attached. You may notice my front USB port is upside down, thats Dell for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Muvo TX - USB Cable Mod_v1.jpg (74.2 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by ziny; 06-09-2007 at 06:51 AM.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziny View Post
I disabled the green and white data cables by making staggered cuts and cutting a segment of each green and white line out so they could not touch ends. I wrapped the cut lines under and over the main cable bundle so the wires and cable were isolated and tidy (with cellotape).
Are these colors universal? I mean, am I likely to find green and white cables inside a generic USB cable which I should cut to get the same result?

I am currently looking for a new AAA powered player, and this thread makes the Muvo as very interesting option for me.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:56 AM

Yes, the color code should be the same on most USB cables. Look here: http://fixup.net/tips/usb/index.htm

Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 AM

Thanks dfkt.