android
  #1  
Old 04-10-2007, 06:16 PM
zivan56 zivan56 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 461
Default

The online radio stuff could probably easily be broken by "imitating" the Yahoo site and API; fooling it into using something like shoutcast.com. This sound quality is probably because they use low quality music for streaming (Yahoo)...
__________________
Sandisk Sansa e200 v1 w/Rockbox
Microsoft Zune 30 GB v2.3 Firmware
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 05-03-2007, 07:19 PM
tuba for life tuba for life is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
The online radio stuff could probably easily be broken by "imitating" the Yahoo site and API; fooling it into using something like shoutcast.com. This sound quality is probably because they use low quality music for streaming (Yahoo)...
Do you actually know if the radio could be broken because that would most likely open up a lot of options for programmers. If they can get to different radio sites then why not websites in the future.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 05-03-2007, 08:34 PM
EnzoTen's Avatar
EnzoTen EnzoTen is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
The online radio stuff could probably easily be broken by "imitating" the Yahoo site and API; fooling it into using something like shoutcast.com. This sound quality is probably because they use low quality music for streaming (Yahoo)...
The Connect uses Zing to interface with Yahoo's API. Zing sits in between the Connect and Yahoo. www.zing.net
__________________
abi>> News | Reviews |Videos | FaceBook >> Zune Card | Twitter
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 05-03-2007, 10:51 PM
zivan56 zivan56 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 461
Default

Yep, I've been able to trace some things to https://agrs.zing.net/ where there is a RPC service. If someone could capture some traffic between the device and this, it would be a start. The Sirius radio wifi device also uses the same protocol and software for the most part.
Also, the recover app has an interesting DLL that emulates the device and connect to the update service. In fact, if you are a .NET developer, you can import it into the namespace and use parts of it easily.
__________________
Sandisk Sansa e200 v1 w/Rockbox
Microsoft Zune 30 GB v2.3 Firmware
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 05-03-2007, 10:53 PM
zivan56 zivan56 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuba for life View Post
Do you actually know if the radio could be broken because that would most likely open up a lot of options for programmers. If they can get to different radio sites then why not websites in the future.
Most likely, we would just "emulate" the web service it uses and do some simple route changing to ensure it talks to the fake service instead. I see no reason why you couldn't use this as a web browser, once the encrpytion is cracked all that we would need to do is compile something like mimo and run it instead of their custom mono app that they use for the GUI.
__________________
Sandisk Sansa e200 v1 w/Rockbox
Microsoft Zune 30 GB v2.3 Firmware
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 05-13-2007, 06:54 PM
t-nine t-nine is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 487
Default

I think it'd be alot more difficult than you may think. This would require a complete firmware edit, and even then, it may not work for sure.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 05-13-2007, 07:10 PM
EnzoTen's Avatar
EnzoTen EnzoTen is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,384
Default

You dont necessarily need to edit the firmware you can emulate the web service as zivan65 points out. It would be an access point that would spoof the zing service... in this case https://agrs.zing.net/
__________________
abi>> News | Reviews |Videos | FaceBook >> Zune Card | Twitter
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 PM
mtz2000 mtz2000 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Default

This is kind of an old thread again - but i'd like to encourage everyone to add his experiences or ideas into this great wikipage about Sansa Connect Hacking or as well in here. We can make it!
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 AM
PromisedPlanet's Avatar
PromisedPlanet PromisedPlanet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtz2000 View Post
This is kind of an old thread again - but i'd like to encourage everyone to add his experiences or ideas into this great wikipage about Sansa Connect Hacking or as well in here. We can make it!
I'm all for centralizing discussions (though it's a bit like herding cats), but ... are Rockboxers going to be interested in an approach that doesn't actually involve hacking the Connect's firmware?
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 01-24-2008, 08:12 AM
PromisedPlanet's Avatar
PromisedPlanet PromisedPlanet is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivan56 View Post
Yep, I've been able to trace some things to https://agrs.zing.net/ where there is a RPC service. If someone could capture some traffic between the device and this, it would be a start. The Sirius radio wifi device also uses the same protocol and software for the most part.
Zivan56, are you actually able to sniff the streaming music packets? Have you been able to figure anything out about stream headers, type of encryption etc.?
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 01-24-2008, 12:54 PM
obo obo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPlanet View Post
I'm all for centralizing discussions (though it's a bit like herding cats), but ... are Rockboxers going to be interested in an approach that doesn't actually involve hacking the Connect's firmware?
Rockbox as an app is a possibility (basically a specialised simulator build) - something similar has already been done for a series of Motorola smartphones. A big hurdle with the Connect is it's lack of UMS/MSC support - getting files onto a Connect would either involve finding an exploit in the existing firmware (and/or associated libraries), or finding a way of uploading what we want via the recovery procedure. From looking at the root filesystem the assets (the 17Mb tar.gz) is GPG verified on the Connect when it is received - strings in the flash firmware mention PGP, so something similar may be done for the initrd image too.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:59 PM.