android
Old 07-27-2006, 12:24 PM

Default Solutions for Album Art Problems

So, I got my vision:m 3 days ago, and I already have about 3,700 songs on it. I wouldn't trade this player for any other. But I ran into a problem that is quite annoying. I listen to a lot of independent and music that doesn't belong to an album.

Well... when I put it on the player, I was messing with the album art, and somehow I messed something up severly. I tried to set album art for one set of songs... and now, it has it set so that more than half of my songs (that I have come across) have the same album art. And it's not even the album art I had chosen, it's some... three 6 mafia album art, which is a group I don't even have! I've tried to fix it, but I can't figure out how to remove the album art (I can't even find it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-28-2006, 12:32 AM

Default A solution to fixing your album art problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymouse
So, I got my vision:m 3 days ago, and I already have about 3,700 songs on it. I wouldn't trade this player for any other. But I ran into a problem that is quite annoying. I listen to a lot of independent and music that doesn't belong to an album.

Well... when I put it on the player, I was messing with the album art, and somehow I messed something up severly. I tried to set album art for one set of songs... and now, it has it set so that more than half of my songs (that I have come across) have the same album art. And it's not even the album art I had chosen, it's some... three 6 mafia album art, which is a group I don't even have! I've tried to fix it, but I can't figure out how to remove the album art (I can't even find it).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
If you use windows media player to sync your music (I would suggest downloading windows media player 11 beta... its amazing) its really simple to fix that. Simply open up your library and right click on the song/album art and click update. If it cant be found on the CDDB server then you can add your own custom image by dragging it in the specified location.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:41 AM

Provide a link next time mars: WMP11

WMP1 is brilliant for organising album art, and applying it, but Iv never tried removing the Album art off a track or album before, you might need to fiddle around with it for a bit, and if you cant find a way, just go to the help file, or use a dedicated ID3 tagger,you'l find links to one of those pretty much anywhere on this forum, try and software section aswell.. You'l have to take the messed up files off the player, fix them, then reload them though, its a bit difficult to do it while all on the player.

Old 07-28-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrax
You'l have to take the messed up files off the player, fix them, then reload them though, its a bit difficult to do it while all on the player.
well, the deal is, I would have to go through and remove thousands of songs... and that'd be a big hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
(something about using WMP11, I don't remember exactly what you said ^.^)
Well, I just used the media explorer software, but I'm thinking of reformating and using wmp, would that be a wise move? Or do I even have to reformat the player to use?

ADDITION: I downloaded WMP11 and it is AMAZING, I just led it to my music, and it went at fixing the album info and changing the album art to the right pictures, thanks for the great info, it was a lot of help!

Old 07-29-2006, 02:55 AM

Iv had it a for a while now, and Iv still working it all out, well, not really, but whenever I try to get to involved with it all, my computer freezes cos its so shite, but yeah, you can access all you music and edit it on your zen, just takes longer. Depends how much data you have on your PCs HDD and the ZEN's HDD.

Old 07-29-2006, 06:56 AM

MP3 Tag Tools will remove all your album art from the tags in about 5 clicks and 10 seconds.

File -> Open Directory -> browse to your music folder and make sure the "recurse subdirectories" button is checked. Press Open.

Let the tracks load in.

On the bottom left of the screen, choose Picture.

Press CTRL-A to select all files.

Click Remove Picture.

Have a beer.
Grado SR-60

Old 07-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's also great for adding album art to your files - embedded, exactly the way they should be as per the ID3v2 specs!

Did anyone also mention it's an outstanding mass tagger?

Old 07-29-2006, 04:59 PM

I can't even figure out how to activate album art, can anyone guide me through the process please? Thanks.

EDIT:
Nevermind, a friend walked me through it. Creative needs to step up their inbox documentation.

Old 07-30-2006, 05:42 AM

Enjoy your player.

Also, for ZenChick and Deadpoet - Iv got almost all my tracks album art and track info done, through WMP, is it really worth removing it all, and doing it with one of those mass tagging programs?

At the moment, in this computer, I have about 1500 tracks (pretty meazly, but theres more, oh yes, theres more), so how long so you rekon thatl take?

Old 07-30-2006, 08:47 AM

atrax, I wouldn't recommend you do that. crazymouse has posted because he had thousands of files with the wrong art. I'm just giving him the fastest way to fix his problem. As for how you tag your files, that's completely your own preference. Zen Chick and I just happen to agree on one way to do it. I like the embedded art because all other ways transfer additional .jpg files to your ZVM that clutter up the "Pictures" area of the device and put tiny hidden pictures all over your music folders on your PC. Imbedded art does none of that. Right now I don't have any album art because I didn't like how it was being handled. If I do go back to album art, I'll do it the imbedded way, but truthfully, my ZVM spends most of its time with the LOCK switch on and the screen off. I really only turn the screen on to change volume or pick a new track, then lock it again. I just can't imagine spending several hours again tagging my tracks with album art when I'm never even going to see it.
Grado SR-60

Old 07-30-2006, 10:32 AM

Well here's a question. For some reason, one of my albums isnt showing up to be tagged, even though I just ripped it from CD. Any idea why it's not there, even though it _is_ there on my player?

Old 07-30-2006, 11:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrax
Also, for ZenChick and Deadpoet - Iv got almost all my tracks album art and track info done, through WMP, is it really worth removing it all, and doing it with one of those mass tagging programs?

At the moment, in this computer, I have about 1500 tracks (pretty meazly, but theres more, oh yes, theres more), so how long so you rekon thatl take?
If it were me, I probably would - I'm just particular that way. But if you already have an extensive library with all the album art saved using WMP, it would be easier to just leave it that way.

It all boils down to whether or not you mind the album art showing up in your Photos listing. I don't like it personally because of the clutter and because it takes up twice as many file allocations as embedded does, but it comes down to personal preference, really.

For people who are just starting off, and for people who intend to grow their libraries to thousands of unique albums - definitely go with the embedded solution! The sooner, the better!

Old 07-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCFK
Well here's a question. For some reason, one of my albums isnt showing up to be tagged, even though I just ripped it from CD. Any idea why it's not there, even though it _is_ there on my player?
I can't make sense of what you're asking... What exactly do you mean by "one of your albums isn't showing up to be tagged"?

What program are you using to rip your CD's? Most CD-ripping utilities automatically do an internet lookup of the CD you're ripping, and automatically fills in the tag information for you. I know that WMP, WinAmp, and even Creative's CD ripper do automatic tagging based on automatic CD lookup, as long as you are connected to the internet at the time.

Old 07-30-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick
If it were me, I probably would - I'm just particular that way. But if you already have an extensive library with all the album art saved using WMP, it would be easier to just leave it that way.

It all boils down to whether or not you mind the album art showing up in your Photos listing. I don't like it personally because of the clutter and because it takes up twice as many file allocations as embedded does, but it comes down to personal preference, really.

For people who are just starting off, and for people who intend to grow their libraries to thousands of unique albums - definitely go with the embedded solution! The sooner, the better!
Hey, everyone! I'm new here... a convertee, shall we say. I'm tired of my 4th gen iPud with its clicking hard disk and lack of features. I've been drooling over a ZV:m for a few months now, and album art has now become something I care about.
What's the best way to embed all of this information in the tags? I have no idea how my current album art is set up; I've been letting iToons do all of the thinking for me.
I looked at MP3 tag tools, and I'm terribly confused... I have about 3000 songs and I can't make heads or tails of how to go about finding the requisite information for all of them. I have a Konfabulator widget for iToons that fills in missing information like album and sometimes album art, but if it's not embedded, it will clutter up my photos folder... not something I want (unless I can put it in a subfolder called "Album Art" or something... if that's the case, that's fine too.)
What's the best way to go about doing all of this album art business? I've messed around with WMP11, and it seems like an okay solution, but I hate that you have to go through all of the tracks on an album and confirm each and every one. Plus, I don't know if it embeds the pictures. Sorry for the long first post, but I'm really excited! Thanks in advance for all the help, and I'm looking forward to playing around with my Zen!

Old 07-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Okay, if you're concerned that the information in your ID3 tags might be correct or missing, you should run Creative's Auto Tag Cleaner (START --> All Programs --> Creative --> Creative Media Toolbox) across your entire library. It will analyze your songs and lookup the correct tags for them.

MP3 Tag Tools is a very robust mass tag editor, but it doesn't do lookups. Your best bet is to run all your songs through Creative's Auto Tag Cleaner to establish a baseline for all your tags. Once you do that, then you can open MP3 Tag Tools to the directory that contains all your songs, scroll down the list, and make any corrections necessary.

One thing to remember about MP3 Tag Tools: It's a mass tagger. While you can edit tags on an individual song, its greatest strength lies in its ability to edit large amounts of tags in one go. One example of how this is useful is when you have songs that you know all came off the same album. You can highlight all those songs, uncheck all tag fields except "album" (and perhaps year and genre), enter the correct name of that album, and all your highlighted tags get updated.

It also works this way with pictures (album art). If you have a bunch of songs from the same album, you can highlight all those songs, load the correct picture from wherever you have a copy of it, and all those songs will have the same album art embedded. To do this, you'll need to have an image already. The best place to go for album art images is Google's music search. Just type in the name of the artist and album, and Google should find the correct album for you, with a 90x90px image if one is available. Just right-click on that image, select "Save picture as...", and save it somewhere where you can easily find it again. Then, within MP3 Tag Tools, click the "Picture" tab just below the list of songs you've got; highlight all the songs that belong to that album, click "Load Picture", and point to where you saved your album art. Once the image shows up in the box, click "Write Tags", and you're done!

Some things to remember about ID3 Tags: There are two versions - v1 and v2. Both versions can (and often do) exist in the same music file. v1 tags are stored toward the beginning of the music file, and takes up a specific amount of space, regardless of what's in the tag; therefore, v1 has limits: 30 characters for Title, 30 characters for Artist, 30 for album, and a few for year, genre, and comments - for a total of 255 characters. This is too limiting for most tag information these days, so they've come up with v2 tags. v2 tags are appended to the end of your music file, so it doesn't have the field length limits that v1 has. It also allows for much, much more information to be embedded, such as information about the artist, the band, who composed the song, etc. etc. and etc. It also allows for embedding of lyrics and album art. Not all MP3 playing devices understand v2 tags, however, so the v1 tags are still there for that purpose.

Why is all that important? Because whenever you go editing tags, you're probably only editing either the v1 or the v2 tags, but not both at the same time. This causes your tags to be "out of sync", which can result in unexpected displays if you encounter a device that only reads v1 tags. Now, what I usually do is edit the v2 tags to my liking, then I use the "Copy V2 to V1" tool that most taggers have to copy my v2 tags to my v1 space. Why do I to v2 to v1, instead of v1 to v2? Remember what I said about v1 tags having length limits. If I have a song title that exceeds 30 characters, I won't be able to type the whole thing into a v1 tag; so, I type it into the v2 tag instead. When I copy v2 to v1, the v1 tags get filled in up to their limits. If I edited the v1 tag instead, then I'd have to copy the information into the v2 tag, then go into the v2 tag and fill in whatever wouldn't fit in the v1 tag. Big waste of time.

Have I confused the hell out of you yet?

Old 07-30-2006, 07:28 PM

Iv just skimmed that, and already my eyes are hurting. Ill have a look, and Ill experiment around with them, I may get aorund to it soon, but I dont have any trouble with my photo files getting cluttered. Ill get back to you all on how it goesies.

Old 07-30-2006, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick
I can't make sense of what you're asking... What exactly do you mean by "one of your albums isn't showing up to be tagged"?

What program are you using to rip your CD's? Most CD-ripping utilities automatically do an internet lookup of the CD you're ripping, and automatically fills in the tag information for you. I know that WMP, WinAmp, and even Creative's CD ripper do automatic tagging based on automatic CD lookup, as long as you are connected to the internet at the time.
I used mediasource organizer to rip the cd. I'll try to better explain my situation. I just recently upgraded from a zen jukebox xtra, so all of my files were in mediasource. When I updated the software(that came with the ZVM), all of my albums were there. Inorder to add the album art, I used creative media explorer, went to music, sorted by album(might have been show albums) and dragged and dropped album art from the internet onto the correct albums. However, I recently ripped a cd(Matisyahu, "Youth") and it was not listed with all of the albums in media explorer, thus I was unable to add the album art for that, nor was the album art automatically added when I ripped the cd.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:22 AM

Quick question, does the album, art, edited my 'mp2 tag tools' show up in WMP11?

Old 08-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I can't speak for WMP11, but WMP10 does. I'd have to assume that WMP11 will as well.

However, it seems that WMP10 has the uncanny habit of copying the album art to my hard drive, which wreaks havoc with things when I sync that particular folder to my ZVM (well, it doesn't really wreak havoc, it just clutters my player with a bunch of unnecessary .jpg files). It doesn't do this with every song I've played on WMP, but it's done it on enough of them that I generally don't use WMP.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:22 AM

Okay...iv had a look at that mp3 tag tools, and Im gonna have to spend some time on it:P.

Iv taken to downloading alotta music in the past few days, so Ill experiment on them with mp3TT.

Ill probably ask for help sometime soon.