android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung K3 / K5

Old 07-06-2007, 10:20 PM

thxs anyway, i've figured it that it was actually my computers fault for not being able to format it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 PM

Where is the custom EQ? I have firmware version 1.59 and I only have a couple pre-sets for EQ but no custom EQ. I just got my K5 today so it could be due to complete n00bishness, but I swear I looked everywhere

Old 07-12-2007, 01:58 AM

jconsortium,

The Custom EQ is not available using the MTP firmware, which the 1.59 ver. is.. you have to update to the UMS compatible firmware version to gain Custom EQ, ogg vorbis playback and file browsing.

The latest UMS firmware is now 1.46 (which is what I am using.. and not 1.43.. as it was when I first posted the upgrade instructions)...

Congrats on your new K5...

Last edited by Utew; 07-13-2007 at 11:19 PM.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:22 AM

hey i upgraded to 1.46 kr but it says its wa?

Old 07-13-2007, 10:22 AM

Yep, I noticed that too... on both the K5 (1.46 rev.) and the T9 (1.80 rev.).. both read as WA, after updating.

...however they are both MSC/UMS firmware releases and function as such.. seems to be a change involved.. not sure why the updates read as WA (Worldwide) as opposed to KR (Korean).. either way, the latest revs. still allow the player access to both PC and Mac as a removable disk (file browsing etc).

...ideas anyone?

Last edited by Utew; 07-13-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The 1.46 Firmware from samsung.com is a worldwide (WA) UMS firmware, but as far as I know this has been the case for all Samsung players with alternate firmware regions. The original country/region code is kept regardless of the present firmware, or its source.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:33 PM

The 1.46 firmware is clearly described as Korean, in the inial post. Now you're saying it's "worldwide". Thanks for the confusion.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:04 PM

Sorry NauticusLX,

I shall correct the title to reflect the change.. however the 1.43 KR firmware was listed as such on my K5 after I upgraded to it.. the "KR" was definitely shown in the "About" information screen. After upgrading to the 1.46 version, it now shows as "1.46 WA"..... so this is something new, even though the firmware was downloaded from the Samsung Korean site...

In any case.. thanks for the heads-up... and my apologies for the undoubted confusion...

Last edited by Utew; 07-13-2007 at 11:21 PM.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:00 AM

mine didnt have the Data folder in it, so i just pasted it on the drive, unplugged, resarted my K5 and upgrading took place right away. and it didnt prompt me to format as well.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:27 AM

Welcome to ABi thebamboozle...

Yeah, there are some variances in procedure for upgrading the firmware.. unfortunately Samsung didn't streamline the update procedure very well.. they have a bit of a learning curve to work through in that regard.. and it'll be interesting to see how they shake out as a major DMP manufacturer.

Their industrial design team seems to have a lot going for them.. now if their software developers can bring it all together.. well.. we'll see...

Old 07-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Hey guys I'm new here so please don't flame me for stupid questions

So I've read around a little bit here and see there are 2 different kind of drivers right? MTP and UMS. I don't know what the hell these abbreviations mean but as far as I could understand it's like this:
MTP: recognizes K5 as multimedia player
UMS: recognizes K5 as external hard drive
Can someone confirm that that's right or add some more differences between the 2?

I like the ID3 browsing so it has no point of going for the UMS firmware (although personal EQ is really tempting), but where do you guys find detailed information about these firmware upgrades. All I find is links to the newest versions on my country's Samsung website. No info on what's changed or stuff like that. And before reading this forum I'd never heard of UMS firmware for the K5, since that's not even mentioned on the Samsung.nl website.

I hope there will be a new update soon, cause I'm not really noticing a difference between the old MTP 1.0.3 and the new 1.56... Hopefully the new firmware upgrade will have best of both worlds: ID3 browsing, personal EQ, and an option to cancel that annoying fade in/out effect.

Hope you guys can enlighten me a bit. Thx in advance.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utew View Post
jconsortium,

The Custom EQ is not available using the MTP firmware, which the 1.59 ver. is.. you have to update to the UMS compatible firmware version to gain Custom EQ, ogg vorbis playback and file browsing.

The latest UMS firmware is now 1.46 (which is what I am using.. and not 1.43.. as it was when I first posted the upgrade instructions)...

Congrats on your new K5...
Thank you for clearing that up, Utew. There seems to be a lot less documentation about the K5 (at least, easily findable documentation)-- something I'm still not used to as I started out as a Creative ZVM user.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
So I've read around a little bit here and see there are 2 different kind of drivers right? MTP and UMS. I don't know what the hell these abbreviations mean but as far as I could understand it's like this:
MTP: recognizes K5 as multimedia player
UMS: recognizes K5 as external hard drive
Can someone confirm that that's right or add some more differences between the 2?
Essentially, that is the difference between MTP and UMS. You may already be aware of the differences which apply to the K5, but the basics are listed here.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:37 AM

thanks for the very warm welcome Utew

Old 07-15-2007, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
Hey guys I'm new here so please don't flame me for stupid questions
We have this habit of helping to answer all questions here, Stephan... no such things as "stupid" ones.. just those that hopefully one of us can provide an answer to..

Welcome to ABi...

Old 07-31-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Thanks!

Just put the new firmware on my K5 - went without a hitch, thanks to your instructions . Much appreciated - now I can access it anywhere (wouldn't work previously on my home computer and laptop, so had to take it to my office!)

Old 08-01-2007, 12:11 AM

Welcome zzzng,

Yep, the cross-platform capability of the UMS firmware is the reason I use it too. At this point I'd have to say that any new player(s) that I buy ..will have to be UMS capable... and not MTP only.

Old 08-01-2007, 04:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utew View Post
Welcome zzzng,

Yep, the cross-platform capability of the UMS firmware is the reason I use it too. At this point I'd have to say that any new player(s) that I buy ..will have to be UMS capable... and not MTP only.
Let's just hope that Samsung continues on this road. The latest Samsung model, the U3, comes with a MTP firmware. While a UMS version is available from Samsung Korea, preventative measures are included in the MTP firmware to ensure that a UMS firmware is [not] installed on it.

Last edited by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander; 08-04-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: thanks Utew

Old 08-02-2007, 12:22 AM

Zedd,

I assume you mean not installed on it... that's the first I've heard of that.. and certainly isn't a good move on Samsung's part.

In any case the U3 holds zero interest for me, personally.. and here's hoping that Sammy doesn't continue with the idiocy of making their players non-UMS modifiable.. If they do, they'll lose at least one supporter (me).

Old 08-04-2007, 04:12 PM

Hi everyone! Thank you for your help and support. I upgraded to the new firmware and noticed that I couldn't listen to music while it was charging. Any suggestions? Thank you!!

~jace