android
Old 04-21-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Sansa e280 not recognized PC

Hi.

My Sansa is no longer recognized by my PC. I tried it also on a laptop nada.
It is not recognized in any of the 2 USB modes MSC or MTP.
When I switch to recovery mode it does recognize the 16M drive.

I've seen several posts around this subject but did not see a solid solution.

I have my Sansa for a few days and it worked fine.
I synched about 6.5G of music using WM10 and all apparently went well. Songs + playlists are in the player. The problem started immediately after that.
It is charged though.

I have Windows XP Pro SP2.

I'll appreciate your help.
Tanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-21-2007, 12:33 PM

Does the unit function, otherwise? Does it show up in the Device Manager when plugged in? Does it connect in Recovery Mode? Was it charged using the USB cable attached to the PC?

Enter Recovery Mode:
1) Turn off the player.
2) Turn on the Hold switch to see Orange.
3) Hold the Rec button and connect to PC.
4) Keep Rec held until 16MB FORMAT appears in My Computer.

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 04-21-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:24 PM

Hi captain.

My unit functions fine and when I connect it to the PC it charges. This is the only thing it does.
I performed already steps 1 through 4, entered recovery mode and I can see the 16M drive.
Still, the unit is not recognized by the PC in regular mode.

Old 04-21-2007, 04:28 PM

Now we know the port is working. When you connect in a 'normal' mode, does the player say 'connected' on it's screen? If it does, open the Device Manager to see if it shows up in there. It should be found under USB Controllers or Other or portable devices, something like that.... Anyway, uninstall it from the Device Manager and then unplug the device. Reconnect and see if it installs correctly this time...

Last edited by Captain Morgan; 04-21-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Just more details...

Old 04-22-2007, 01:10 AM

The device does not show "connected" or "portable devices".
It is only charging. I have full control over the device, something that is not possible if it is connected to the PC.

Since the same problem happens in two different PCs, I believe the problem is with the device itself.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:01 AM

Or the cord. Or the plastic male interface connector. Check to see if the cable is
damaged or if the player has some lint stuck on the connector that prevents some of the pins making contact.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:37 AM

The cord/connector are fine.
The player charges and is recognized in recovery mode.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:09 AM

I would try it on another PC if possible. If it doesn't work, then I would perform the fabled Recovery Process. Here are some instructions for Recovery. One set for the Standard Sansa and one set for the Rhapsody Version:

Standard Sansa:

Please copy and paste the following link into your web browser address bar, and then click Go or hit your Enter key. When prompted, choose the option to Save the file to your Desktop.

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/D...fw01.00.12.exe

Once you have downloaded the file, please follow these instructions.

1) Double click on My Computer so that you can see it on your screen.

2) Turn the player off.

3) On the top of the player is a Hold switch, move it to the right (toward the headphone jack) so you see Orange.

4) On the left hand side of the player is a Record button, press and hold it while connecting the player to the computer. Continue holding the Record button until you see a new icon under My Computer called 16MB FORMAT. Once you see that icon you may release the Record button.

5) Double click the file you downloaded earlier and run it. Follow all of the on-screen instructions, and when you get to the prompt where it asks you whether you would like to Format it, choose Yes. Once it is done, click Finish.

6) Disconnect the player and look at the screen. Several things will be displayed, and when you see Key Lock, System Shutdown, move the Hold switch on the top back to the left.

7) Turn the player on and watch the screen. If you see a Refresh Database Fail error, you will need to follow steps 1-7 again until you do not get the error. If it does not work the first time, it could take up to 3 times for it to work.

8) After successfully applying the firmware update, download the Sansa Firmware Updater from www.sandisk.com.

9) Go to Products/MP3 Players/SanDisk Sansa e200 Series MP3 Players.

10) On the next page Click on Firmware Update in the Additional Product Info box on the right,

11) On the Sansa Firmware Updater page Click on Download Sansa Firmware Updater choosing the option to save it to your desktop.

12) Locate the file on your desktop and Double+Click to run the install and follow the onscreen prompts to update the firmware to the latest version.

You can check your firmware version on the player by selecting Settings from the main Menu, then Info.

Rhapsody Version:

Please copy and paste the following link into your web browser address bar, and then click Go or hit your Enter key. When prompted, choose the option to Save the file to your Desktop.

http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/D...y-1.0.2.31.zip

Once you have downloaded the file, please follow these instructions.

1) Double click on My Computer so that you can see it on your screen.

2) Turn the player off.

3) On the top of the player is a Hold switch, move it to the right (toward the headphone jack) so you see Orange.

4) On the left hand side of the player is a Record button, press and hold it while connecting the player to the computer. Continue holding the Record button until you see a new icon under My Computer called 16MB FORMAT. Once you see that icon you may release the Record button.

5) Unzip the downloaded zip file and extract the file pp5022.mi4. Drag and Drop pp5022.mi4 from your PC to the root folder of 16MB FORMAT.

6) Create a new text document, rename 'New Text Document.txt' to 'Sansa.FMT' and place 'Sansa.FMT' in the root folder of 16MB FORMAT. Be sure 'Sansa.FMT' is a FMT file and NOT a txt file. This will format the player and delete EVERYTHING if done correctly. Skip this step if you don't want to format.

7) Disconnect the player and look at the screen. Several things will be displayed, and when you see Key Lock, System Shutdown, move the Hold switch on the top back to the left.

8) Turn the player on and watch the screen. If you see a Refresh Database Fail error, you will need to follow steps 1-7 again until you do not get the error. If it does not work the first time, it could take up to 3 times for it to work.

You can check your firmware version on the player by selecting Settings from the main Menu, then Info.

If this doesn't work, call tech support and let them do their thing. It'll either get fixed during the call or replaced. Good Luck.

PS: FORMAT!

Old 04-23-2007, 10:37 AM

Thanks Captain.

Just one question.
In Recovery mode, I see only the 16M drive on My Computer, I can't see the other drives of the player.
Is this they it should be?

Old 04-23-2007, 10:55 AM

Yes, that's normal....

Old 05-01-2007, 11:20 PM

First, thanks for your assistance.
After I followed the recovery process, the PC recognized the player. So that works.

However.
After I synchronized the songs again (about 6.2GB) the PC stopped recognizing the player.
I recovered again and started the synchronization process in portions. Not the whole 6.2GB at once.
Everything went fine up to 5GB. After I synchronized the last 1.2GB the problem occurred again.

I recovered once again, switch to MSC mode, dragged and droppd all 6.2GB and it works fine. But, no playlists.

Old 05-07-2007, 04:39 PM

My player was replaced.
Unfortunately, the new player behaves the same way.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:47 PM

Default Thanks!

Captain's solution worked for me! Thanks.