android
Old 04-18-2007, 08:33 PM

Default Maximum number of files

I see in the specs of the new firmware that it says:
"Improved the maximum number of files (internal memory:3000+external memory:3000)"

I am clearly very ignorant, because I never realised that there was a maximum number of files apart from limits of memory. I am quite confused by this. I have done a search on the net and I can see references to maximum numbers of files in individual directories, but not for entire storage media. Can anyone tell me if this maximum of 3000 files does refer to the entire player? I was going to buy an 8 gig SD card, but if there is a maximum of 3000 files in the external memory, there is no point. I don't store large files, as my main use is Audio Books - which generally have 5 minute tracks, which are only around 1.2 - 1.8 megabytes at the compression I use. At 8 gig that would be between 4,500 and 6,800 files. Have I misunderstood this business of maximum file numbers?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-19-2007, 08:27 PM

Here is what I got on my 4GB D2 + 8GB SDHC:

Internal Storage:

King James Bible (New and Old Testaments):

68 Folders
1,247 Files
1.71GB

The Hobbit Unabridged (10 CD):
11 Folders
219 Files
615MB

8GB SDHC Card:

Music:
32 Folders
441 Files
1.42GB

Movies:
5 Folders
20 Files
1.16GB

Hope this helps you.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:00 PM

Default I'm not sure how the second guys response is supposed to answer anything ...

as he clearlly has less than 3000 files on external SD card.

I've just discovered this file limit as well, and I'm f#cking furious, as I bought a 2Gb D2 and a 16Gb SDHC card thinking that would mean that I could have up to 18Gb of mp3 files. However, I've just tried saving just over 3000 mp3 files onto the SDHC card and though I've only used about 10Gb the D2 will only recognise the first 3000 files.

On some other forums I've noticed that other D2 owners are holding out hope that a new firmware version will come out that resolves the issue, but I'm not so certain ... the latest firmware has become even less stable with SDHC cards.

To sum up the D2, grreat player but crap firmware ... if I'd known that I was going toi have this and a multitude of other issues I would have bought an iRiver clix or Creative player instead.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the headsup guys. Bit concerned about this myself - I mean, wtf?! I have 4,200 tracks at present (intend to put them on an 8GB D2 and 16GB SD card). As I head up to 4,500 tracks, I'm going to have to do some juggling to make sure the SD card doesn't go over 3,000.
Really a bit short-sighted from Cowon there!

Old 01-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Hence, they only officially support 8gb SDHC...

Digivate, the Clix doesn't have SDHC and the Creative Zen has major SDHC problems, keep that in mind when you choose. the Zen does come in 32gb capacities, but its ridiculously expensive.

Also, people who use high-bitrate files worthy of the D2 wont have that problem! =D

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 01-22-2008, 02:27 AM

Have to agree on the Creative Zen front - I started a thread about the SDHC issues on the creative forum questioning the decision not to fully integrate the SD card contents into the main library, and it's now running to 29 pages of people complaining about this issue...
Plus the battery life and build quality aren't as good as the D2

Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM

I can't comment about the build quality, but the battery life was another huge winner for me.

I really cant find something about it I don't like! ^.^

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 01-22-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenodius View Post
Hence, they only officially support 8gb SDHC...
It seems they decided to only support up to 8GB "officially" in the latest x.53 firmwares. Older firmwares support 16GB cards. One step forward, three steps back... that's the Cowon way. Instead of finding and fixing possible bugs with large SD cards, they rather choose the easy way out by disabling 16GB support.

Old 02-03-2008, 06:50 PM

is this still a problem with the new firmware version? this is really really unsettling to me, are other players affected by this as well? possibly a deal buster for me buying this unit!!

can someone knowledgeable please insert the current bios thread in here for me please, i think it would be prudent.

Ugh,

Grant

Old 02-03-2008, 06:55 PM

This is old news from the botched x.53 firmwares. People seem to have no problems with 16GB SDHC cards on x.54. The file/folder limit was also upped a notch.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:04 PM

please see my question in the firmware 3.54? released thread...so this isn't an issue for the d2 provided you aren't using firmware versions xxx and yyyy or zzzzz?

Old 04-26-2010, 03:28 AM
Banned

I got a quick question about this, too and hope that someone can clarify some facts for me

On Amazon I read a review which stated that the D2 had a filesize limit of 500 folders/4000 files for the DAP itself AND 500/4000 for the SD card while you only get 500/4000 globally (internal and external) on the D2+.

If this is indeed the case, is it a firmware issue? Cause I went ahead and bought a 16 GB D2 with a 4GB card on ebay (used ofc) and now I'm not 100% sure what firmware to get.

Last edited by musicyay; 04-26-2010 at 03:53 AM.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:49 AM

My D2 has 5595 files on it, all mp3, split over the internal 16Gb and a 32Gb SDHC card. Despite being a D2 (not +) it currently runs the 2.10 firmware (designed for D2+), and previously ran whatever the latest firmware version for D2 was (not +).

I have no problems accessing all of those files, either through the folder browsing mode, or through the integrated ID3 database. The old firmware worked fine too (2.59 ? can't remember).

Old 04-26-2010, 07:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanD View Post
My D2 has 5595 files on it, all mp3, split over the internal 16Gb and a 32Gb SDHC card. Despite being a D2 (not +) it currently runs the 2.10 firmware (designed for D2+), and previously ran whatever the latest firmware version for D2 was (not +).

I have no problems accessing all of those files, either through the folder browsing mode, or through the integrated ID3 database. The old firmware worked fine too (2.59 ? can't remember).

Hey thanks for that info so I could have bought a "new" D2+ instead - well ... I still hope I got a good deal on the D2