android
Old 05-09-2007, 02:35 PM

That sounds awesome...I never knew that there are 600 Ohm headphones. I thought 32 is very much...

Can you tell me please dfkt what's your month salary? You can PM me if you don't want that Captain Odegard robs you this week.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM

Dude, I'm not rich at all. But I don't throw out money for fast food, restaurants, etc. - I cook the food myself... I don't have a car - I ride my bike,... I don't go to discos or nightclubs (except when I'm DJing myself and the drinks are free), ... I don't use my cellphone at all - just incoming calls, etc, etc...

I'm self-employed, I don't have a monthly income. Sometimes I make good money, sometimes I don't.

I strongly believe in quality audio gear. It gives me a lot of pleasure listening to good tunes on a good rig. I'm getting angry listening to good music on low-quality crap devices. Furthermore, good quality gear should last for decades, it's nothing that breaks easily or you're throwing away if the successor product hits the market.

So instead of buying crap and needing to replace it or upgrade it constantly, I try to buy decent gear once and be done for a long time.

That's what I'm saving my money for. Audio is my hobby and part of my job, and I think that stuff like this amp in not money blown out of the window. Those 600 bucks will bring me a lot of enjoyment for years to come.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I strongly believe in quality audio gear. It gives me a lot of pleasure listening to good tunes on a good rig. I'm getting angry listening to good music on low-quality crap devices. Furthermore, good quality gear should last for decades, it's nothing that breaks easily or you're throwing away if the successor product hits the market.

So instead of buying crap and needing to replace it or upgrade it constantly, I try to buy decent gear once and be done for a long time.

That's what I'm saving my money for. Audio is my hobby and part of my job, and I think that stuff like this amp in not money blown out of the window. Those 600 bucks will bring me a lot of enjoyment for years to come.
I knew most of the things you said because I read all your post carefully and I can figure out quite well someone's personality. I could observe that your hobby are audio devices and my father has this hobby too but he only has some Technics amps and CD Players. They're Hi-Fi devices, but I'm pretty sure they aren't more expensive than 500 bucks.

Quote:
But I don't throw out money for fast food, restaurants, etc. - I cook the food myself... I don't have a car - I ride my bike,... I don't go to discos or nightclubs (except when I'm DJing myself and the drinks are free), ... I don't use my cellphone at all - just incoming calls, etc, etc...
I'm only 16 but I do these things too. Except the DJing part.

Quote:
I'm self-employed, I don't have a monthly income. Sometimes I make good money, sometimes I don't.
Isn't it a bit dangerous? I mean, you can have bad month which you don't get any money...and then the problems begin...

Old 05-10-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratonator View Post
I'm only 16 but I do these things too.
good for you. I also use my bike or the train to get around because its cheaper and better for the environment (its also quicker, I beat an Aston Martin to work before using my bike. it was stuck in traffic lol.)

FWIW get a job while you still live at home and don't need to pay for your own food, rent, beer, uni fees etc. Then you can spend large amounts of money on cool stuff. Unfortunately my parents found out how much i get paid and now i have to pay for loads off stuff (petrol, beer, food, beer) AND i now have a savings account. But i still managed to get a gaming pc, a new DAP, new headphones (DT770 pros), a load of cds and a holiday ;] before they noticed.

Seriously though, spend your money on stuff you enjoy. If you like music, why not spend $600 or whatever on an amp. Just make sure you save so that when you suddenly find you have no income, you can still get by (beer, food and rent. In that order.)

EDIT. don't know what the age is in wherever you are, but don't drink if youre not old enough to do so legaly . (i did, and you wouldn't want to end up like me would you.....? )

Old 05-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

I have problems using my money, i save them instead, for what? tba :S
everything here in norway is about 1.5-2 times as expensive as in the US. We have higher saleries, i.e my substitute low paid cleaning job pays about $3500+ a month, but when everything is so damned expensive it levels out

Dfkt has a very good point, about buying once and be done.... i never can, i see cheqap stuff and go oooooooooooooooooooooooh

Old 05-10-2007, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by origami View Post
I also use my bike or the train to get around because its cheaper and better for the environment (its also quicker, I beat an Aston Martin to work before using my bike. it was stuck in traffic lol.)
Which brand of bike do you have? I have a Trek 4500 Aluminium. I already talked with dfkt about his bike. He has a custom made frame.

Quote:
FWIW get a job while you still live at home and don't need to pay for your own food, rent, beer, uni fees etc. Then you can spend large amounts of money on cool stuff. Unfortunately my parents found out how much i get paid and now i have to pay for loads off stuff (petrol, beer, food, beer) AND i now have a savings account. But i still managed to get a gaming pc, a new DAP, new headphones (DT770 pros), a load of cds and a holiday ;] before they noticed.
Well that's also my strategy but I am not working. I guess I'm too young (15 years and 8 months) to work...and besides, I don't know where to get a job.

Quote:
Don't know what the age is in wherever you are, but don't drink if youre not old enough to do so legaly . (i did, and you wouldn't want to end up like me would you.....? )
I don't know what you did but drinking isn't an issue for me. My parents offered me beer and such since I was 10 or so (small glasses or maybe less)and therefor I don't have the need to drink.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:02 PM

custom frame? nothing like that, pretty basic really. Giant something (don't know the model, it was a mid price one). I don't know much about bikes, but a friend who's into them said it was pretty good if you wanted something to use for everything. I use it mainly on road but its a mountain bike so i can use it off road as well.

anyway back to almost audio related stuff. I work in a supermarket at the moment, which kinda sucks but it pays really well and you dont have to work very hard. If you just want cash, try to get work in a bank (they pay $16 per hour base rate !!!) but thats harder work. Anyway, when i was 15/16 I had a paper round. If you don't mind the early mornings and you save youre money it works pretty well.

As for decent audio on a budget, if youre dad is also into that kind of stuff, ask if you can borrow any of his old stuff. My dad gave me a reasonable amp and if you couple that with a carefully chosen pair of speakers ($100 and input from youre pc- $60 for a sound card) youre set. this is the sort of setup i have. if you already have speakers, headphones can get you good quality for less and are good if youre listening on youre own.

And as for the beer...

Its not that alcohol has destroyed my liver, more my wallet. you see, beer is worse than sound quality. Once youve experienced greatness, you can never go back. So even though I don't drink alot, it costs me about £4 a pint ($8). btw. cobra is the greatest lager ever.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:15 PM

Kratonator is exaggerating... it wasn't custom built for me - I got it handed down for free. Still it's a nice bike.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Well I didn't exaggerate because it is custom made. There isn't such a brand or something like that. So it's custom made.

I decided to post a few pictures of my father's and my audio stuff. Of course, they can't compete with dfkt's amps and stuff but we're quite satisfied.
This is my Pioneer XR-A330 "All-in-one" with 3CD Changer, FM Tuner and Cassette Player.

These are my father's Sony LBT-D705 amplifier, ST-705 FM/AM Tuner and CDP-m42 CD Player. He has another Technics system left back in Romania.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:21 PM

wow, romainia to switzerland, and you speak fluent english

I also had an all in one system till about a year ago. switching to a modular (probs not the right word) system is a bit tricky, but it makes uprgrading easier so i prefer it because i can spend & upgrade gradually. I had an all i one before tho and tbh it wasn't as good audio wise, but it was great value for money.

Old 05-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Banned

dfkt is a showoff,he robs little kids of their lunch money and steals car stereos to pay for those audio equipments!!.
yup its all true =P

Old 05-19-2007, 04:30 AM

I don't have a picture right now because I'm not actually at home...but I can tell you what I have and how it's set up. Pictures will follow eventually.

I have:

Sony Bravia 42" (1 metre) LCD TV

Sony HD Tuner built into the Bravia

A Sony 7.1 Surround Sound system

Three wireless streamers (one to the back room, one to the lounge (where the TV ect is) and one in my room)

A video cassette player

An Xbox 360

3 X Laptops (2 HP, 1 MacBook), each contain either mine, my brothers or my mothers music, picture and video collections. We link these up to the system via wireless connection and either use a direct link to the TV or run it through the Xbox 360.

I gotta tell you. It's bloody beautiful.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:14 PM

upgrades

Old 05-29-2007, 02:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ødegård View Post
upgrades

Looks good except for I see one thing wrong with this pic
the iPod nah just kiddin' looks great
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 05-29-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM View Post
Looks good except for I see one thing wrong with this pic
the iPod nah just kiddin' looks great
fake chinese one, the one i reviewed here somewhere

Old 05-29-2007, 05:21 PM
General Audio Moderator

just recently moved my setup around

5.1 Panasonic surround system. The speakers sound good for a hib. I believe it has about 400 watts effective. and it has a high power stereo only mode at 200 watts for r and l only.

The tv is a 27inch 1080i set (i use 720 p on the 360)

original xbox running XBMC for music and video (never used it for games ^^)

other console: ps2 and gamecube (ps2 is ran via component)

dvd player functions handled by xbox, the soft player on the hacked dash has 1080i upscaling

I use the computer for most of my music listening as the quality is outstanding vs. XBMC. I use XBMC for mainly streaming shoutcast while i am working on projects and such.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:47 PM

Thanks to Captain Ødegård and his dad, I'm now the proud owner of a Mullard GZ34 rectifier tube, made in 1961 (or 1971) in Blackburn, Lancashire, England.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:59 PM

Does it enhance the sound of the woo any?

Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 PM

Can't say yet... it needs to warm up some more. It's not a "basshead" tube - GZ34 are supposed to be "neutral". The other one I have, the Russian Sovtek 5U4G seems to be bass heavier.

Old 06-08-2007, 04:32 PM

speakers i made was crap, as i noticed after i got the ac adapter for the t-amp. so now i made aheadphone stand instead

Tags
gear, images, photos, pictures, rig