android
Old 04-24-2007, 01:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well as long as it works for me that's the point, anyway what sucks about the speakers is that they are only rated at 150 watts
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-24-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM View Post
Well as long as it works for me that's the point, anyway what sucks about the speakers is that they are only rated at 150 watts
That is per channel, your 300 watt PMPO is a total value, ie 150 watt x2 stereo channels.

I have SNAFU' d the treble driver on my speakers in my second room. I took it out and fed a signal straight to it, but it's as dead as a dead thing. Could be old age I guess.

I have searched all over ebay for a pair of cheap 8 ohm replacements, but my speakers are 25 years old...........

Old 04-24-2007, 08:07 AM

Ouch... Linn speakers? With a company like that, replacement drivers should be available, even after 25 years.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Ouch... Linn speakers? With a company like that, replacement drivers should be available, even after 25 years.
Sorry dfkt, my bad, this is my second system in my dining room, the speakers are NAD II.

Happily my 12 year old Linns are still tickety-boo.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:45 PM

Don't you love how these brands deliver quality that lasts for almost a quarter of a century?

My studio setup is also 16 years old... I bought it when I was 15, with my first self-earned money. Still kickin' the tunes really good.

The only new additions (in the last 3 years) are the Marantz livingroom amp (replaced a 15 year old Technics), Polk speakers (replaced some terrible Magnat speakers my girlfriend used before), and the Klipsch sub.

I might replace my Harman/Kardon amp with a NAD or Creek along the way... the caps seem to be at the end of their lifespan... And Harman/Kardon isn't what it used to be 15 years ago...

Old 04-24-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Don't you love how these brands deliver quality that lasts for almost a quarter of a century?

My studio setup is also 16 years old... I bought it when I was 15, with my first self-earned money. Still kickin' the tunes really good.

The only new additions (in the last 3 years) are the Marantz livingroom amp (replaced a 15 year old Technics), Polk speakers (replaced some terrible Magnat speakers my girlfriend used before), and the Klipsch sub.

I might replace my Harman/Kardon amp with a NAD or Creek along the way... the caps seem to be at the end of their lifespan... And Harman/Kardon isn't what it used to be 15 years ago...
Yes I agree, my second system was once my pride and joy when I bought it with money that I earned during the vacation in my first year at Newcastle University.....1979. The amp, tuner, cassette are still as good as new, sadly the Marantz CDP bought in 1986 has died and the treble unit on one of the NAD II has aslo gone west.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:21 PM

I found a rather drool-inducing slideshow of audio gear, made by a guy over at Head-Fi: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...sBox/Slideshow

Even a nice X5 setup is there...

Old 05-07-2007, 01:23 PM

because im a student and i don't earn much and what i do earn is spent on beer, my home setup is kind of lacking. But here goes anyway:

btw. all this stuff is what i have but i googled it cos my camera is broken.

JE Sugden A48 (got it for free )

Its actually really good, if a bit old. It weighs a hell of alot but is horrendously powerfull (dont know an exact number but it has destroyed two pairs of speakers already)

------------

Eltax Concept 180

Ok theyre not great but they go very loud and sound decent enough. plus they only cost 45.

-----------

sony CFD-S28L

plays cds. and connects to my amp.

-----------

Bush TR2003DABSIL

DAB radio. fantastic thing to have. also goes through the amp.

-----------

Beyerdynamic DT770 pros

sort of semi portable. mainly home use cos my speakers are a bit

Old 05-08-2007, 02:04 PM

Update to my home rig... now I got the general idea what my headphones should sound like...

Woo Audio 6 SET headphone amp with a Sovtek 5U4G rectifier tube and two RCA 6DE7 power tubes.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:18 PM

Sweetness!!

That's the $580.00 monster, huh?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:25 PM

That thing is terrifying.
You should be either crazy or dfkt to buy such thing.

Congratulations dfkt!
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 05-08-2007, 02:33 PM

Yeah JD, that's the thing... delivery was pretty fast from the USA. Been listening to it for some hours now... mmmh, simply beautiful, musical and non-fatigueing. Even all those crappy IEMs start to have a soundstage with that guy.

Guess I won't be listening to speakers a lot in the next time.

And thanks, Kratonator - that thing is terrifying indeed, built like a tank from ~6mm aluminum sheets... and the tubes get damn hot... gotta move it further away from where I'm sitting.

Old 05-08-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Yeah JD, that's the thing... delivery was pretty fast from the USA. Been listening to it for some hours now... mmmh, simply beautiful, musical and non-fatigueing. Even all those crappy IEMs start to have a soundstage with that guy.

Guess I won't be listening to speakers a lot in the next time.

And thanks, Kratonator - that thing is terrifying indeed, built like a tank from ~6mm aluminum sheets... and the tubes get damn hot... gotta move it further away from where I'm sitting.
Im glad it's living up to expectations. Congrats.
And think of it this way, in the winter it will help with heating costs.

Old 05-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

well, guess its time to fly to austria and rob dfkt

Old 05-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I can imagine what getting that thing through customs would be like...

Old 05-08-2007, 03:34 PM

Customs was only 60 bucks... Jack Wu made an invoice for an, ummm... $250 amp.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 AM

That was very kind of Mr. Wu...

Wu...Wasnt that the name of the guy that pissed on the dudes rug?

Old 05-09-2007, 12:50 PM

Heh... "El Duderino, or His Dudeness"... one great movie.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:17 PM

The Dude abides.

Nice amp though. I want one.

Old 05-09-2007, 01:26 PM

It's starting to open up now... man, I wish you could hear it. Pure musical bliss. Sounds like Tom Waits croons directly into my ears, and not just some record of him.

I went for the more expensive Woo6 instead of the cheaper Woo3, cause it also works with low-impedance phones, down to 8 Ohms... really great sounding with my 80 Ohm Beyers and all the 12-18 Ohm IEMs.

OTOH, my 600 Ohm AKG K180 sound kind of decent for the first time. I gotta remove it from the "worst headphone" thread.

Now I'm really itching for some decent high-impedance cans, like the HD650 or the DT990... that should be an absolute killer setup with that amp. Maybe as a "reward", when I finish my next big job.

Tags
gear, images, photos, pictures, rig