android
Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 PM

Just a quick note of thanks to Charles here... Just loaded on your build, and it's quite awesome. I know it's not ALL your work, but I really appreciate having everything I need in one up-to-date build, tailored for the e200. It works like a dream and has made my player worth having! Thanks a ton, and keep up the fantastic work!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-23-2007, 01:30 PM

Just installed the newest build last night, and so far haven't had any of the lockups during the backlight fadeout that I was having with the one from Saturday. Fingers crossed, but so far so good. Thanks for all you do with this, I am really enjoying this thing.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headphase View Post
Wow, if I knew the sansa could support sdhc, I would have not bought my 2 gb card.
Yes, but you can easily buy a 2GB card for ~20E, a 4GB costs about 70E... btw... I love the idea!

Old 08-23-2007, 03:05 PM

That way, I can use it at night easily and I know it will shut itself off if I forget. Sometimes when we're going to bed, I put on some music...and...then...well....well....I just want to be sure it will shut itself off if for some reason it might slip my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
No, why would you want to do that? If you really want it, you can submit a feature request at the Rockbox site.

Charles

Old 08-24-2007, 02:52 AM

hi charles,

i updated from 07-07-13 directly to 07-08-18.
and discovered that i have a massive power draining issue with that release:

yesterday after the update i still had 50% battery left (before connecting the usb for the update).
i updated and used the same settings as before, normally 50% would last between 2 and 5 hours depending on backlight usage and volume.

but this time the 50% only lasted for 45 minutes(!).
after 45 minutes the sansa did shut down and i could not turn it on again because of low battery.

this morning after fully charging the battery, it went down 15% in about half an hour.
usage did not change.

could it be that something in rockbox is draining power in the latest release?

EDIT:
and using the OF for 30 minutes afterwards only got it down about 5%.

Old 08-24-2007, 04:38 AM

I continue to be very impressed by Rockbox and now use it exclusively!

Doom seems to work - I can move around, shoot and change weapons, but I can't open doors. Ideas - anyone?

Jim Ford

Old 08-24-2007, 08:32 AM

Default about scrollwheel slowdown

I can definitely confirm that's not a simple feeling. (Only) sometime the scroll speed is _very_ slow, I suspect some heavy background task is eating up CPU cycles causing it. I tried disabling database auto update, can't imagine anything else, but the slowdown still happens. Any clue? Suggestion?

Thx

Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 AM

Default about scrollwheel slowdown

Scrolling has been this slow ever since frequency scaling has been enabled. When running at 30Mhz the CPU is just not fast enough to allow smooth scrolling. It becomes more responsive and smooth when playback is running because then the CPU is not running at slow speed all the time. However when you scroll around too much it will become slow again because playback needs to rebuffer.

It's kind of a tradeoff because boosting the CPU during scrolling would of course decrease battery life. But I'm not content with the current solution either.

Quote:
i have a massive power draining issue with that release
Can somebody confirm this? I don't use my player much right now and I wouldn't want to have a bad surprise while I'm on the go.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 AM
Rockbox Developer

Vortex: Please don't claim that scrolling is slow for everyone. Many of us do not experience this, at least with official builds, and you've tried to pass this off as fact in our forums too.

During a good portion of music playback, the CPU is at 30mhz (it's not boosted all the time) so if you were experiencing slowdown because of CPU scaling, you would have very, very, VERY slow scrolling often during playback. Buffering would actually be somewhat faster than unboosted scrolling outside playback or MUCH faster than unboosted scrolling during playback, because the CPU always boosts during buffering.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Please don't claim that scrolling is slow for everyone. Many of us do not experience this, at least with official builds, and you've tried to pass this off as fact in our forums too.
Sorry about that but I thought that it was this slow for everyone and I was just particularly concerned about it.
So did you notice only a minor difference when you switched from an old build without frequency scaling to a newer one that has frequency scaling enabled?
Because I noticed a huge difference. Scrolling is really no fun right now on my Sansa and that's not an issue of cpchan's build. I was using the official build for several weeks, but I recently switched back - mainly because of the Mpegplayer patch.

And concerning the power draining issues: I just let my Sansa run for about two hours and the battery level went down from ~76% to 68%. I can't say for sure but t doesn't seem to drain more power than before.
I would have to run a complete test again, recharge the battery and then let it run completely dry.

One more thing: Just now my Sansa's backlight would not turn. It just didn't react to any button presses (and I'm sure HOLD was off). I had to hold the power button to turn it off. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 08-24-2007, 01:12 PM

It's definintely something with your player. I don't have any issues of that kind.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 08-24-2007, 01:52 PM

strange thing with this batterie issue. i went back to my backup of the "old" build, and it runs for hours as it used to.

i will do some more tests if nobody else has issues with 07-08-18.
@vortex: did you test the 07-08-18 release or a newer or older one?

Old 08-24-2007, 05:07 PM

Hey I noticed that after I installed RockBox it takes longer to recharge my Sansa player, does anyone know why?

Old 08-24-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
Because I noticed a huge difference. Scrolling is really no fun right now on my Sansa and that's not an issue of cpchan's build.
I agree with Vortex.

To me as well scrolling isn't "natural" or fast as it used to be.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimLXJ View Post
Hey I noticed that after I installed RockBox it takes longer to recharge my Sansa player, does anyone know why?
this is normal as long as we dont have a usb driver which supports the full power via usb. rockbox does not draw as much power from the usb port as it should, so charging is slower as with the of.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeton View Post
I agree with Vortex.

To me as well scrolling isn't "natural" or fast as it used to be.
hmm. could this and the power draining some experience in newer builds be caused by some part of rockbox (or a plugin, or a patch) forcing the cpu to full speed or using the cpu too much?

Old 08-25-2007, 12:45 AM

When using the iPhone theme (Cover Flow), the Album text line in the WPS is messed up

Old 08-25-2007, 02:41 AM

Fix it.
Use the %e|11|219|50|1|B8C8E1|%alMusic tag.

Where 11 is the x coordinate
219 the y coordinate
50 is the width
1 is userfont1
B8C8E1 is the colour
%al Music is the text you want to have in that line.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 08-25-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Known and unknown bugs of new version

Scrolling wheel
Can't say that it is SLOW. I use it quite well and find it OK. Use setup settings of Scroll Wheel: SPEED 10, SCROLL START DELAY 800ms, SCROLL STEP SIZE 6px, BIDIRECTIONAL SCROLL LIMIT 25%, SCREEN SCROLL STEP SIZE 16 px
Battery life
Also cannot confirm, that Rockbox is extremly hunger for power. Yes, it do drain more power than the OF. But not so much. I guess, maybe someone should take a look at your running tests, guys.
I use Rockbox for playing games - about an hour per day, reading books 2-3 h/day and music - up to 4-6 h/day. I've powered up my Sansa (e260) a lil bit yesterday at 1700, so I'll run it without charging and say, for how long it can stand in such conditions as described higher.
Fonts
Thanks, Charles. No more bugs with fonts.
Bugs
Sometimes my player is hanging. It was earlier too, but now it hangs hard so I need to reboot it. And it hangs often enough to bother me

Per aspera ad astra & Carpe diem

Old 08-25-2007, 04:49 AM

@vic:
which version of charles build are you using?
i also have the 260, so propably we could easily compare results.

as said, i noticed a difference between an older build and a newer build of charles builds.
i do not compare OF to rockbox.

another thing which i test: i wonder if the power source matters. could it be that if you use a charger you get better charging results than attach to a pc?

i wonder why some report battery life issues, others reports scrollwheel problems and others report hangs. are we comparing different builds?

Closed Thread