android
Old 07-05-2007, 12:30 PM

I have to concure, i love rockbox, however, i still get the panic error, using the latest, cpchanbuild. At one point i couldnt boot proper to either OF or RB, i had to make a 20-seconds reboot for several times. I use a 2GB sd-card, so that couldnt be the problem. My description may be vaugh, perhaps you know some "all-known" bugs that might have occured for me. Cheers

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayland View Post
just tried a 128kbps wma pro file (think you need wmp 10+ to encode them unless you use third party tools) and it locked up with a loading message,
AFAIK only wma standard is supported. They must also be above 32 kbps at this point.

Charles

Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Zune Moderator

hey cpchan if you want a place to put your builds in one package and have fast uploads/downloads then you can sign up over at my hosting service for another community I'm a part of and host your files there. then just give the direct download link for them instead of having to attach them in separate files every time. the site is at TMOhost.com.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
Again - there is only WMA support - and since WMA support has only been added as of a few days ago, I doubt there'd be WMA pro support any time soon. Ogg files aren't lossless, but still decent. FLAC files are lossless though, which looks to be supported (http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SoundCodecs)
In terms of lossey codecs, unless people have a big investment in wma, there is really no point in using it. If broadest compatibility is the goal, then LAME encoded mp3 is the obvious choice. If file size vs. quality is the goal then Ogg Vorbis (AoTuV branch. High, medium and low bitrates) and AAC (high and medium bitrates. AAC-HE for low bitrate) in that order are the contenders. The consensus through ABX testing have shown that these 2 codecs are the most efficient presently.

Charles

Old 07-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redeemo View Post
I have to concure, i love rockbox, however, i still get the panic error, using the latest, cpchanbuild.
I have never had a panic error. Can you tell me what you are doing that cause that error? I want to try to reproduce it to see what the problem is.

Charles

Old 07-05-2007, 03:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratonator View Post
It doesn't just look, it is supported. Ihave a few FLAC files and I can play them without problems.
I thought so, as I thought I've played FLAC files, I just couldn't say for sure.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I thought so, as I thought I've played FLAC files, I just couldn't say for sure.
Yes, decoding FLAC files and I presume Ogg FLAC files are well supported. However, I do wish that one can record to FLAC (lossless), Vorbis (lossey for music) and Speex (lossey for speech). I should submit a feature request and try to do it myself in the mean time.

Charles

Old 07-05-2007, 07:23 PM

Well, the photo viewer doesn't show BMP files... which is why my Photo viewer wasn't 'working'. The Sansa supplied photos are BMP.

For some reason, with the standard bootloader, it reboots into Sandisk firmware when the cord is plugged in, but the PC doesn't detect it, until I plug it in a second time...

The database refreshing still doesn't work properly...

Last night's WM doesn't FF or Rew.... but I guess they know that.

Thanks

Old 07-05-2007, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzr View Post
Well, the photo viewer doesn't show BMP files... which is why my Photo viewer wasn't 'working'. The Sansa supplied photos are BMP.
Of course bmp wouldn't work. It is a jpeg viewer.

Quote:
For some reason, with the standard bootloader, it reboots into Sandisk firmware when the cord is plugged in, but the PC doesn't detect it, until I plug it in a second time...
This only occurs if the db in the OF needs refreshing.

Quote:
The database refreshing still doesn't work properly...
Please refresh my memory as to what your problem is.

Quote:
Last night's WM doesn't FF or Rew.... but I guess they know that.
You mean wma? Please give it time, the wma decoder just got committed 2 days ago.

Charles

Old 07-05-2007, 08:56 PM

Thanks for all your work... I don't want to sound like I'm just complaining!

"Quote:

This only occurs if the db in the OF needs refreshing."

How does the unit know that, unless it can connect to the PC?

I would expect it to always have the PC detect it, so that you could copy media over (or have a program copy media over).

"Quote:
The database refreshing still doesn't work properly... "

I have new files copied over every morning. Even with auto-initialize on, the news files aren't shown in the DB. After I manually initialize, and reboot, then I only see the new files... After I reboot again, I see all files.
I've posted a bug report... Nowadays, it does show that it's doing something on startup... but it doesn't seem to actually do it.

These two things, plus no cue/review (which I also posted) are the only three annoyances I have with this firmware...

Old 07-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzr View Post
My OS (Linux) will recognize the player every time. However, if the OF is refreshing the db, I need to reconnect a second time for the partition (drive in Windows) to be mounted.

Quote:
I have new files copied over every morning. Even with auto-initialize on, the news files aren't shown in the DB. After I manually initialize, and reboot, then I only see the new files... After I reboot again, I see all files.
I've posted a bug report... Nowadays, it does show that it's doing something on startup... but it doesn't seem to actually do it.
Yes, the db update seem to be a bit flaky these days- one needs to do it manually and sometimes several times. I will do some investigation.

Quote:
These two things, plus no cue/review (which I also posted) are the only three annoyances I have with this firmware...
Unlike the OF, Rockbox recognizes short and long presses. To rewind, long press the << button. To fast forward, long press the >> button.

I suggest you take a look at the manual as Rockbox is a lot more complex than the OF.

Charles

Old 07-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayland View Post
just tried a 128kbps wma pro file (think you need wmp 10+ to encode them unless you use third party tools) and it locked up with a loading message,
Since there is no open source WMA Pro encoder, it is not possible to support such files. Theres very few hardware devices that support such files anyway, so I don't think theres likely to be a codec any time soon either.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
Unlike the OF, Rockbox recognizes short and long presses. To rewind, long press the << button. To fast forward, long press the >> button.
Thanks - but I was talking about Cue and Review -- that is, being able to hear audio as you're FFing and REWing.... The OF has such functionality.

I listen to hour long audio files, some of which are recorded radio. It's nice to know when a song I don't like or a commercial is over!

Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 PM

Quote:
(...) being able to hear audio as you're FFing and REWing.... The OF has such functionality.
Kind of. But seeking in the OF is awfully jumpy. It makes precise seeking impossible. Actually I like Rockbox-style seeking a lot more.

Quote:
Linux will recognize the player every time. However, if the OF is refreshing the db, I need to reconnect a second time for the partition (drive in Windows) to be mounted.
And I was wondering what all those people who complained that they had to plug in the player multiple times were talking about...

Old 07-09-2007, 01:13 PM

frequency scaling was enabled in svn (I have yet to try it out though)

Old 07-09-2007, 01:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Cpchan - I suggest you do not update yet, due to the divide by zero trap being added, which is causing the Sansa to error out on boot. Apparently, the line that causes the divide by zero error on boot is in firmware/drivers/fat.c, but I can't confirm. Reverse what was done in revision 13832 (http://svn.rockbox.org/viewvc.cgi/tr...13831&r2=13832) if you want to be able to update.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:19 PM

Yeah I just found out that the latest build refuses to boot, too.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
frequency scaling was enabled in svn (I have yet to try it out though)
Toni said you save 250uA per MHz, so if you can run at 30MHz most of the time instead of 80MHz, you might gain a few hours. Though most codecs won't be able to run that low, so you'll gain somewhat less, at least for the moment.

Also, if theres any trouble with it, be sure to post about it. I tried it for a few days before enabling it, but its possible theres some problems with it still.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Cpchan - I suggest you do not update yet, due to the divide by zero trap being added, which is causing the Sansa to error out on boot.
Thanks for the warning. I updated my builds just before that.

Charles

Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Toni said you save 250uA per MHz, so if you can run at 30MHz most of the time instead of 80MHz, you might gain a few hours. Though most codecs won't be able to run that low, so you'll gain somewhat less, at least for the moment.
Any power saving, no matter how little, is welcome.

Quote:
Also, if theres any trouble with it, be sure to post about it. I tried it for a few days before enabling it, but its possible theres some problems with it still.
Thanks. Will test.

Charles

Closed Thread