android
Old 06-24-2007, 09:43 AM

I think the battery level problem has something to do with the iconset that is used for particular themes. If you delete the current config.cfg file or simply load the rockbox_default_icons.cfg theme and reboot Rockbox, the battery level is exactly where it should be. I changed all my frequently used themes to use only the default rockbox iconset and the battery level problem has gone away. (EDIT: The problem is present upon the first reboot after disconnecting from the computer, but all subsequent reboots are fine.)

The zero battery level was also causing problems with the database updating: when I would turn the player off and then on again, the database changes would not be committed because it would hang on the first screen forcing me to hold down the power button until the player shut off.

The battery level problem appeared appeared after the recording enhancements pack was added. The last build that was fine was the one where the microSD card patch had been fixed.

Last edited by cmaines; 06-24-2007 at 09:52 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-24-2007, 10:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaines View Post
The zero battery level was also causing problems with the database updating: when I would turn the player off and then on again, the database changes would not be committed because it would hang on the first screen forcing me to hold down the power button until the player shut off.
Interesting, so did the db problem go away after you change the icons?

Charles

Old 06-24-2007, 12:08 PM

After using the default iconset, the battery level problem goes away, and the database changes get committed just fine on reboot.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
After using the default iconset, the battery level problem goes away, and the database changes get committed just fine on reboot.
Great, thanks for the info- mystery solved. No wonder I can't reproduce it. Thanks for confirming my suspicion that it is something in the theme.

Charles

Old 06-24-2007, 12:22 PM

Goddamit cpchan, I get the Commiting Database error too. I'll downgrade to the 22th June build now.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Old 06-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratonator View Post
Goddamit cpchan, I get the Commiting Database error too. I'll downgrade to the 22th June build now.
Can you do a test and change the iconset in your theme to the default one and see if the problem go away?

Thanks,
Charles

Old 06-24-2007, 01:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Strange, just tried out a theme (H4rdc0r3 Linux) with a complex battery meter:

http://www.rockbox-themes.org/index.php?res=176x220x16

I have no problem reinitializing the db. Which theme are you guys using?

Charles

Old 06-24-2007, 01:18 PM

Well, it seems it's not as simple as I thought. I still get the battery level problem occasionally, but as long as I activate the rockbox_default theme and then immediately activate the rockbox_default_icons theme and THEN reboot, the battery level is correct. I've also noticed that if I pause playback so I can hear the electrical buzzing/hissing that seems to occur when the software is doing stuff (database changes?) and wait until this stops before turning off the Sansa, it's much more likely to show the correct battery level when I turn it back on again.

Last edited by cmaines; 06-24-2007 at 01:24 PM.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Well, it seems it's not as simple as I thought. I still get the battery level problem occasionally, but as long as I activate the rockbox_default theme and then immediately activate the rockbox_default_icons theme and THEN reboot, the battery level is correct.
This is really strange. I don't have to do any of that. I can also reinitialize my db at will with no problems.

Quote:
I've also noticed that when my noise cancelling headphones are turned on so that there's an audible pop when I turn on the Sansa,
IIRC, the pop has alway been there, even with the OF. It is just a bit louder now. Nothing to worry about.

Charles

Old 06-24-2007, 01:34 PM

I'm not able to enter Rockbox for some reason. The commiting database 1/8 is still there. Downgrading (without deleting the .rockbox folder) doesn't work. What should I delete in order to make the database rebuild? I don't want to delete the whole folder because I have a lot of settings and save games there.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
What should I delete in order to make the database rebuild? I don't want to delete the whole folder because I have a lot of settings and save games there.
All the files in ".rockbox" with the extension "tcd".

Charles

Old 06-24-2007, 01:40 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
I'm not able to enter Rockbox for some reason. The commiting database 1/8 is still there. Downgrading (without deleting the .rockbox folder) doesn't work. What should I delete in order to make the database rebuild? I don't want to delete the whole folder because I have a lot of settings and save games there.
Just delete the database files in the /.rockbox/ dir.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Great, thanks for the info- mystery solved.
Not really.
I was using a custom icon theme too. However in that case the real mystery would be why the theme works fine with the official build (at least for me) but not with your build.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:53 PM

Common...it's the most annoying issue I had. I deleted the tcd files and then rebooted the Player and I first get the battery level error and then the commiting database error. What's with that rec button patch wrong?

Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 PM
Rockbox Developer

Hmm...actually it shouldn't commit the database when you deleted the files. There is something strange, that's right.

Anyway. I'd recommend to delete the .rockbox folder. All the settings are exportable. The games, fonts, icons and themes etc you got are backupable easy too.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:23 PM

I've got a temporary fix for the incorrect battery level issue and possibly the "committing database 1/8" hang at startup.

It seems to be an issue with the backdrops on certain themes. Go to Settings > General Settings > Display > LCD Settings > Clear Backdrop.

You may also need to delete the config.cfg file in the .rockbox directory to make sure you're starting with a clean slate.

Since doing this, the battery level has been correct every time at startup. (I've shutdown and restarted about ten times so far, each time doing random things in the software while its running.)

EDIT: My earlier post about the non-standard iconsets can be ignored. The only change required to any of the themes I've tried so far (COWON, Blue Bend, and BlackAurora) is the removal of the backdrop image.

Last edited by cmaines; 06-24-2007 at 07:29 PM.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

For those who wants to do a fresh install without loosing data:
  1. Backup your config.cfg.
  2. Backup all file in the rocks directory without the rock extension.

Charles

Old 06-25-2007, 04:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
EDIT: My earlier post about the non-standard iconsets can be ignored. The only change required to any of the themes I've tried so far (COWON, Blue Bend, and BlackAurora) is the removal of the backdrop image.
This really strange. I tried all the themes you have problems with. Each time I:
  1. Reinitialize the db.
  2. Reboot to finish the commit.
  3. Go to the wps to check out the battery meter.

I cannot reproduce any of the problems you guys are having. The db commits fine and I have no problem with the battery meter.

Can you try my config just to eliminate some problematic settings?

Charles
Attached Files
File Type: zip config.zip (604 Bytes, 5 views)

Last edited by cpchan; 06-25-2007 at 04:12 PM.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 PM

I have spent many hours dealing with the frozen screen of
"Committing Database 1/8". I found that database refreshing could be successful only with the original rockbox configuration, i.e., initial install or non-existence of config.cfg file. A simply change of font (unifont.fon) and language (chinese-trad) just doesn't refresh. Besides, I have the same battery related issue.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yueonyrl View Post
I have spent many hours dealing with the frozen screen of
"Committing Database 1/8". I found that database refreshing could be successful only with the original rockbox configuration, i.e., initial install or non-existence of config.cfg file. A simply change of font (unifont.fon) and language (chinese-trad) just doesn't refresh. Besides, I have the same battery related issue.
Bingo! I tracked down the problem to using any unicode fonts that supports cjk characters. A temporary work around is:
  1. Turn off db auto-update
  2. Switch to a font that doesn't support cjk characters when initializing the db and then reboot.
  3. Switch your font to the one you want to use.

Unifont is a terrible font. I suggest you switch to nimbus+uming:

http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/4878

Charles

Last edited by cpchan; 06-25-2007 at 10:45 PM.

Closed Thread