android
Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugel View Post
Why do you wanna turn it off??
'cause it makes it slower to turn on the lcd. I don't know...it just feels strange, just like with the volume fade in/out when you pause..i turned it off, in order to use the sansa faster.

it isn't that hard to put this option, is it? if it is, nevermind.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardopolly View Post
'cause it makes it slower to turn on the lcd. I don't know...it just feels strange, just like with the volume fade in/out when you pause..i turned it off, in order to use the sansa faster.

it isn't that hard to put this option, is it? if it is, nevermind.
I'm really new to rockbox, but leonardopolly, are you referring to the time it takes to change a song....like on a the OF, if the screen was off during playback, you would hit a button that would turn on the screen then you are able to click again to do the action you wanted. that is it would take 2 clicks just to pause or skip to the next song.

With rockbox, you change that setting at Settings>General Settings>Display>LCD Settings>First Button Press Enables backlight only.

Is that what you are talking about?

Old 02-22-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
Is that what you are talking about?
no, i'm talking about the fade in/out time for the lcd.
when the lcd is off and i click a button, it takes like a second or two for it to turn on.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs162216 View Post
We already have full speed.
I know, AFAIK high speed is much faster than full speed, don't know who came up with those confusing labels...

Old 02-22-2008, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_L View Post
I know, AFAIK high speed is much faster than full speed, don't know who came up with those confusing labels...
Yes, it is a bit confusing. AFAIK full speed is a standard term for usb transfers, and high speed is referred to by sandisk.

Having said that, high speed is the desired transfering method, which, according to key developers who are implementing usb-support for portal players (ipod and sansa) impossible to achieve without reverse engineer the Original firmware.

I might be completely wrong about this, but that is my opinion having read the irc-logs on rockbox.org

Old 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
Quote:
# A Full Speed (1.1, 2.0) rate of 12 Mbit/s (1.5 MB/s). Full Speed was the fastest rate before the USB 2.0 specification and many devices fall back to Full Speed. Full Speed devices divide the USB bandwidth between them in a first-come first-served basis and it is not uncommon to run out of bandwidth with several isochronous devices. All USB Hubs support Full Speed.
# A Hi-Speed (2.0) rate of 480 Mbit/s (60 MB/s).
It's possible to achieve high speed, we just haven't gotten there yet.

Actually, according to SVN:
Quote:
Only allow high-speed usb if USE_HIGH_SPEED is defined. It still causes data corruption (full speed should be safe)
Even before USE_HIGH_SPEED existed in the code, I was able to get write speeds of around ~2 MB/s.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

The wire limited transfer rate for Full Speed is less then 1.4MB/s, so you're probably not getting 2MB/s. I think about 1-1.1MB/s is probably the best you'll do in Full Speed mode.

Quote:
Yes, it is a bit confusing. AFAIK full speed is a standard term for usb transfers, and high speed is referred to by sandisk.
No, thats standard terminology. It has nothing to do with Sandisk. They didn't even make the USB controller in question.

Old 02-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
The wire limited transfer rate for Full Speed is less then 1.4MB/s, so you're probably not getting 2MB/s. I think about 1-1.1MB/s is probably the best you'll do in Full Speed mode.
I didn't do a real formal test, but 'time cp yes > /media/disk' took 47.4 seconds, with file 'yes' being a 132 MB file outputted from yes, and /media/disk being the Sansa (in Rockbox). I was basing the rate by 132/47.4 (=2.78).

Old 02-22-2008, 04:53 PM

chris and saratoga, thanks for clearing things out.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardopolly View Post
no, i'm talking about the fade in/out time for the lcd.
when the lcd is off and i click a button, it takes like a second or two for it to turn on.
Oh, sorry. just trying to help. I guess I haven't noticed that to be such a pain for me...sorry.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
Oh, sorry. just trying to help. I guess I haven't noticed that to be such a pain for me...sorry.
no prob. I guess it only takes that long with me...maybe a problem with my sansa.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyr0sphere View Post
You do realize he said that on the 16th right?
Sorry, something came up at work. The awaited version will be released this weekend.

Charles

Old 02-23-2008, 07:21 PM

No no, don't take it the wrong way. I was just trying to inform that poster that he had basically quoted you on something that you said a while ago

You do all of this without compensation so people really don't have the right to criticize

Old 02-23-2008, 09:37 PM

Default what does reverted mean for device disable?

I loaded the firmware from power.cleansoap.org with the device disable patch. I do not know what was in the build but it definitely gave more battery time so I am loathe to consider upgrading if this patch is not in the build. So what does revert mean - is the patch not going to be part of the cpchan builds?

Old 02-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oystercatcher View Post
I loaded the firmware from power.cleansoap.org with the device disable patch. I do not know what was in the build but it definitely gave more battery time so I am loathe to consider upgrading if this patch is not in the build. So what does revert mean - is the patch not going to be part of the cpchan builds?
It was taken out of the build to be tested properly (i.e.: no other patches applied). Since, it got into SVN, it will be in the release that I am working on now.

Charles

Old 02-24-2008, 07:09 AM

Are you planning to enable USB in the next build, or is it still too unstable?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacitapproval View Post
Are you planning to enable USB in the next build, or is it still too unstable?
v23 (the one in SVN - disabled) has a bug in it in which the usb safety features are turned off if the select button is applied while plugging it in. When people hold select, and plug in the usb cable - thinking they're only charging it - the disk appears on the computer, only without any of the safety features. This can lead to data corruption, and that, well, wouldn't be good.

integration_1 could possibly work, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of testing with it. Select button is fixed though.

I think a better way to ask you is: would you still use the OF for USB because it has a lower chance of data loss at the moment?

Old 02-24-2008, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the explanation.

It sounds like adding enabled USB wouldn't be worth it just yet.

Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 AM

Cpchan: could you add the custom line patch back in? The new theme Windows.razor uses it!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe565 View Post
Cpchan: could you add the custom line patch back in? The new theme Windows.razor uses it!
Customline patch was closed and nobody won't use it. The Viewports patch was made to replace customline.
Headphones: Technics RP-HT300 | Panasonic RP-HT202|JVC HA-FX55
Sansa Rockbox Themes: KratoGlass|KratoSky|KratoJet|JetoKrat

Closed Thread