android
Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 AM

What is a necro-thread - and what is with these videos?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
What is a necro-thread - and what is with these videos?
A necro-thread is a dead or old thread that someone has posted in after quite a long time - read the date, do a Google, you'd have found the answer.

As for the clips - the thread is now considered a humor thread, as it's served it's purpose and is officially D.O.A. The clips are for humor,...

Old 02-19-2011, 12:39 AM

actually, I did a search here before I asked - but came up with nothing - and since I saw that you were online - I thought I would ask - thinking that it might be more convenient to get an answer from the person who posted the comment. Your response was a typically snide over-reaction and there is no humor in those pics - but thanks for sharing and taking the time to set me straight!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Funny you should mention warmer sound. People thet say vinyl records sound better because they have a warmer sound. And you really can't hear it either. You can't tell the difference between digital and analog by the time the sound reaches your ears. But that is a term that has no real definition, it can't be measured with any type of laboratory equipment. It is just a bogus term. And an expensive cable does not sound any better than a cheap cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedpoet View Post
Keep in mind that these are "audiophiles" talking. Many, many posts on Head-fi come across as self-important and borderline insane. These are people who trade their $200 cable for a $240 cable because it "has a warmer sound" and things like that. That being said, there is some fantasic information over there.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ght=skullcandy

Those Sennheiser 435's seem to be very new and there isn't a ton of info on them. I absolutely love my Sennheiser PX-100's, though they are small, open, portable headphones, not like what you're looking at.

Headroom gives the 435's a 4 out of 5 for value. "The sound is definitely quite warm overall, but still nicely punchy and clear in the highs with the mid-ranges typically recessed a bit. All in all, a decent headphone for portable player use and for bass-loving listeners on a tight budget... Man, yet another thumpy, well-priced, solid performing can from the headphone gurus over at Sennheiser!" That came from here.

Keep in mind that I haven't actually listened to either of these headphones, but spent a lot of time on Head-Fi before deciding on my own phones.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Administrator

You may want to do more research into that. There is a definite vinyl sound. There's even DSPs that allow you to imitate that sound. I really don't connect that to any differences between analog and digital. There's other factors I believe that play a much larger role.

The combination of the needle moving the groove, record wear, wow, flutter, speed inaccuracies and a few other factors can produce an audible distortion some might describe as warm. On a well maintained system with good quality records that distortion can be minimized to come very close to a digital signal. If it done just right you probably won't hear a significant difference if any.

Maintaining a vinyl system at that level requires a fair amount of knowledge and effort. If both of those aren't in place a vinyl system will tend to put out the distinctive "vinyl" sound.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

A bit OT, but I do happen to agree with skip252 - though I am no expert at all in these matters, even to my ears there is a definite "vinyl sound"...I found this out many years ago when I updated certain favorite vinyl LPs to their CD replacements - the CDs did indeed sound a bit different, even on my meh speakers/sound system at the time. I might not be 100% accurate in a ABX type test, but still feel there is indeed a characteristic vinyl sound out there. I have even read that there has been a minor resurgence and interest in vinyl records in certain circles in recent years, especially in the dance/trance genres.

There is even an analogy with guitar amplifiers - the old tube amps [warm] and digital/solid state amps [smoother but perhaps less dynamic] debate.

IMO, in this case, while digital guitar amps have gotten exceptionally good in recent years, none can yet achieve that gorgeous, buttery tube amp tone, mostly as a result of overdriven vacuum tubes.

Plus tube amps just look cooler with all those hot glowing tubes
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-23-2011, 03:32 PM

I also mirror the comments that vinyl has a different sound signature vs a digital copy, and it's beautiful.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 02-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
actually, I did a search here before I asked - but came up with nothing - and since I saw that you were online - I thought I would ask - thinking that it might be more convenient to get an answer from the person who posted the comment. Your response was a typically snide over-reaction and there is no humor in those pics - but thanks for sharing and taking the time to set me straight!
Uh, yeah,...NOW I'm being "snide". Do a search - how do you think I came across the term AND also the TONS of crazy pics for it - a Google - it's your friend ya' know.

As for vinyl, I personally miss getting a REAL record, opening the sleeve, and reading REAL liner notes while I listen to some new tunes. THAT was a pleasure.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 AM

Hey i bought some skullcandy shoe red g.i.'s and im satisfied with them im not sure if the audio quality is actually good tho since iv never used anything over 30$ before so can anyone tell me if the gi's are actually decent?

Old 05-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you even bother to read any of the prior posts??? Skullcandy's suck - now let this thread DIE!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:52 PM

If your satisfied with them thats all that matters Erick. Skullcandy's are not all that bad imo anyhow, just ugly for the most part. And long live this thread muuuhahahaha.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeys View Post
Hahaha and 4 yrs ago dfkt wasn't so mean about skull candy as today!!
But it's gotten worse. Holy crap.

People still buy that garbage? Where's my faith in humanity... oh wait, there never was some.

Simple reminder: do not buy Skullcandy. If you buy Skullcandy you are a numbskull imbecile. If you do not buy Skullcandy you are not a numbskull imbecile. Easy to understand?

Old 05-09-2011, 08:56 PM

Have any of you tried GI's tho? And hippy i think that the gi's look better than most over ear headphones anyways i bought skullcandies because some guy said in a review for the price the audio quality cant get much better and i didnt have over 100$ to spend

Old 05-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony makes cheapo IEM's that sound 100% better than skullcandy crap - so the price is no excuse. These are garbage - simple as that,... Especially since, if you've read anything we've said, you'll expect these type of reactions.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Skullcandy = Coby.....does that make it any more clear?

Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Skullcandy = Coby.....does that make it any more clear?
Here is a better comparison.

Skullcandy=1990 Buick Estate Wagon
Sennheiser=2012 Ford Mustang

Old 05-09-2011, 11:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ correction:

Skullcandy = 1958 Edsel

A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-10-2011, 10:41 PM

Lolz surprised u didnt say the Peel P50 lestater

Old 05-11-2011, 08:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ lol...it was a close one.

Seriously, back on topic...IMO, there are plenty of other far more capable IEMs out there than SkullCandy. No, I have never owned a pair though I have listened to quite a few of them [the FMJs for instance].

But then again, I am not interested so much in:
- a gee-whiz boy-racer/hipster-doofus look at me design for my IEMs;
- spending fairly good money on IEMs that have a spotty record at best re: build quality;
- don't really offer anything compelling in the sound signature department, especially when factoring in cost as compared to other IEMs.

Still, since it was asked in this thread, I am pretty sure I would pick the cheapest Sennheiser IEM over the most expensive SkullCandy, and prolly be pretty happy with my choice.

This is known.
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 PM

@Erick, no, the only ones I tried were brown and had an oldschool type design. They had some weak ass build quality though. Not sure how much they cost since I was at a meet and never thought to ask. They didnt sound half bad IMO. So my first introduction to Skull Candy was a surprise. Although, Im not rushing out to buy them.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: Hold on a sec, I decided to find the ones I got to use. Holy crap, they cost $150!!! They are not that good sounding and the build quality was el cheepo. Would not recommend these at all for that price. For some reason I just assumed they were maybe $50 or something. But honestly, they still dont sound all that bad.

http://www.punk.com/1489704.html?utm...FQUDbAodTCFIIQ

Last edited by pseudohippy; 05-11-2011 at 05:39 PM.