android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Samsung > Samsung Z5

Old 07-22-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Damage to the Z5 battery while charging from not empty battery?

just wondering if you have a player fuly charged and then you connect to the computer to add songs or watever, when only a bit of charge has been used and then perhaps keep repeating this process maybe 2,3 times a day, will this ruin the battery? At the moment this is what i am doing, because i am constantly pluging in and out to add songs, pictures and whatever before much battery life is used. As you would expect it keeps charging it everytime.

So my question really is is the battery for the z5 like a phone battery that charging before using all battery life will damage the battery?

Any help would be apprecitated

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-22-2006, 08:07 PM

No, any LiIon or NiMH battery won't take damage that way. It's good, not draining them too often, actually. What you're thinking about are NiCD batteries, which haven't been used/sold for years.

For more information about batteries check out: http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

Old 07-22-2006, 09:17 PM

CAN A MOD STICKY THIS INFORMATION?!?!?! This has got to be the 12th time I've seen this question and the 12th time it has been answered in the last week.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin on liberty. This is in answer to the response taken to the recent terror plot.

Old 07-22-2006, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron
CAN A MOD STICKY THIS INFORMATION?!?!?! This has got to be the 12th time I've seen this question and the 12th time it has been answered in the last week.
You've seen this info around the whole forum, or just in the Z5 subforum? I'll make it sticky, if it's only applying to the Z5...

EDIT: changed the title and made it sticky. Guess it won't do any harm, having a sticky about that in every subforum

Old 07-22-2006, 09:29 PM

It was specifically this forum, I don't know about the others.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin on liberty. This is in answer to the response taken to the recent terror plot.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:54 AM

Note, however, this, from the Samsung Z5 Manual:

Do not overcharge (longer than 12 hours).
Excessive charging or discharging may shorten
the battery’s life.

Any battery can be damaged by overcharging and this is different from the life reduction of nickle-cadmium cells that were alleged to lose life more quickly through being frequently recharged before they had fully discharged. This was refered to as the "memory effect".

Normally Lithium batteries are used in equipment which has circuitry to protect against overcharging (and indeed excessive discharge which can be problematic). There is no "memory" effect with Lithium batteries.

However, if Samsung say that their protection circuitry is not up to the job and you should not charge for more than 12 hours, it might be best to take note of their concerns.

How this relates to continually topping up in small doses is another matter.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:59 AM

Wow, that's pretty lame. My iAudio X5 and my Sony Clie are always charging when I don't use them. No problem with overcharging and/or battery life there. Samsung not getting their charging circuitry right seems absurd - maybe it's just a clause their lawyers told them to put into the manual, making sure they're not liable for exploding players...

Old 08-11-2006, 12:10 PM

Yes, most devices warn of overcharging their rechargeable batteries, regardless of the type. They also tell you to complete a full charging process before the first use, but this really is no longer completely necessary. Any ill-effects are nominal.

I agree with dkft that it seems absurd that the circuitry would be a problem. It's not incredibly difficult to make a circuit that turns off once a capacitor (or battery) reaches full charge. Relays work nicely.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt
Samsung not getting their charging circuitry right seems absurd - maybe it's just a clause their lawyers told them to put into the manual, making sure they're not liable for exploding players...
Well, they certainly haven't got it 100% correct since I, and others, find that the player never changes to the green "fully charged" icon.

The protection probably works, but I don't think it's wise to state with absolute certainty that long charging is OK if Samsung say otherwise.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron
I agree with dkft that it seems absurd that the circuitry would be a problem. It's not incredibly difficult to make a circuit that turns off once a capacitor (or battery) reaches full charge.
Indeed, but since Samsung are the people who employ the design engineers and the test engineers, it seems reasonable to pay their utterances just a little credence.
Quote:
Relays work nicely.
True, but quite inappropriate in this context, and soooo last century.

Old 08-11-2006, 12:26 PM

Mogles, sure, you're right - it's good to pay attention to the manual. It's just crazy they obviously didn't get this right with the Z5. I have the Samsung YP-U1, and there's nothing about overcharging in my manual... and the YP-U1 is a lot older/less advanced than the Z5...

Old 10-10-2006, 02:53 PM

So, did get the green icon with the first try and the little icon displays the power is halfway down, I'm curious how long it'll last and if I can recharge it (via USB) again ...

and since it's about the battery, does anyone know who manufactured it?

Old 03-11-2007, 12:32 AM

one more question - if i dont fully charge my z5, then use it, will IT damage my battery?

Old 03-11-2007, 08:46 AM

No .

Old 03-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _M2 View Post
one more question - if i dont fully charge my z5, then use it, will IT damage my battery?
No, it won't actually damage it, but Lithium batteries prefer to be kept as fully charged as possible. It prolongs their life.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:15 PM

ok thanks.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:49 PM

t9,z5,k5 have li-poly batteries,and i think li-ion are beter,and you have to form your batteries,integrated batteries are not so great,because some of you had problems wtih batteries,and this is not good