android
Old 03-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Exclamation Terms of Use - Instructions For Installing Themes (V3.1)

Terms of Use - Instructions For Installing Themes
These instructions are for installing already made themes. If you are trying to make a theme or simply installing regular firmware, you are in the wrong place. Themeing works only for 1.02.xx series firmware on Non-Rhapsody Players.

Terms of Use
    • original theme’s creator holds ultimate copyright for the theme itself.
    • No part of the theme can be edited or incorporated into another theme that will be publicly posted/distributed, without the original creator’s permission.
      ->The original creator(s) have the right to ask for a credit.

• Themes posted that do not comply with these terms may be removed.
    • For copyright violation complaints, please PM a moderator.
  • Liability and Warranty Installing
    • themed firmware WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY. However factory firmware can be re-installed seamlessly .
    • Although any damage is unlikely, Anything But iPod, administrators, users, affiliates, assume no responsibility for any such damages.
    • You install a theme at your own risk.

Safety
Themes are usually very safe. Most errors are easily recoverable within a couple of minutes. To reduce the chance of a bricked player, follow the following steps. Provided you are not copying the .rom files, almost every problem is easily fixable.
  • Copy over the .mi4 file only in regular MSC data transfer mode.
  • Do not copy a .rom file unless it is absolutely necessary (upgrading from 1.02.xx to 1.03.xx firmware).
  • Safely dismount the drive prior to unplugging the cable.

Installation Instructions
Themes are usually distributed in 3 ways. These include an Image Pack (.zip file with many folders and images), a firmware dump (a single .mi4 file), and a h3Theme File (a single .h3Theme file). Please determine the type of file you have now.
  • Instructions to Load a Theme using a Image Pack (a single .zip file with lots of images and folders)
    • Unzip the image pack to a known directory.
    • Open H3Mod and direct it to open the firmware if it does not do so automatically.
    • Go to the Theme menu and select Import Images. Navigate to the image pack location. Select OK. H3Mod will now load the images.
    • Press F2 or F3 for a preview if desired.
    • Go to the File menu and pick save. The original firmware dump will be overwritten.
    • Copy the newly edited firmware file (.mi4) to the root your player (ie E:\, notice the not inside a folder aspect). Note that your player must have the USB mode set to MSC (Settings>USB Mode>MSC).
    • Safely disconnect your player. It will restart; perform a database refresh, then a firmware upgrade. It will restart again.

• Instructions to Load a Theme using a Firmware Dump (Single .mi4 file)
    • Connect your device to your computer in MSC USB-Mode.
    • Copy the .mi4 file to your player's root directory (ie E:\, notice the not inside a folder aspect).
    • Safely disconnect your player. It will restart; perform a database refresh, then a firmware upgrade. It will restart again.
    • Note that .mi4 files may not be the most recent firmware revision, as they depend on the owner to update them.

• Instructions to Load a Theme using a.h3Theme Pack (Single .h3Theme file)
    • To use, you must have H3Mod, the latest bookmark file, and a firmware dump (.mi4).
      - Download Unedited Firmware Here
      - Visit H3Mod's Homepage
    • Open H3Mod and direct it to open the firmware if it does not do so automatically.
    • Go to the Theme menu and select Load Pack. Navigate to the image pack location. Select OK. H3Mod will now load the images.
    • Press F2 or F3 for a preview if desired.
    • Go to the File menu and pick save. The original firmware dump will be overwritten.
    • Copy the newly edited firmware file (.mi4) to your player's root (ie E:\, notice the not inside a folder aspect). Note that your player must have the USB mode set to MSC (Settings>USB Mode>MSC).

Removal Instructions

Botched Installations
These are very rare. But if it does happen it can be fixed in recovery mode.
  • Turn off the player completely (Hold PWR button for 20 seconds).
  • Turn ON the HOLD Switch
  • Hold the REC button and press PWR
  • Plug the cable in when asked to do so
  • Device will say "Enter USB 2.0 Mode" or something similar. This means the device is ready. Look for a drive called "16MB-FORMAT" in your My Computer Area.
  • Copy over a new .mi4 file. Do not copy a .rom file unless changing between 1.02.xx and 1.03.xx firmware.
  • SAFELY DISMOUNT THE DRIVE
  • Disconnect the cable when safe. Device will write the new firmware to disk then restart.
Making or Posting a Theme
Refer to the How to Make Themes Thread.

Last edited by Cruleworld; 11-07-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Fixing spelling errors

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-15-2007, 07:24 PM

very, very good compilation of rules.
well done!

Old 05-10-2007, 06:34 PM

Amazing, I'm a total noob at this, but after reading these instructions, I think i have the hang of it, Thanks, and thanks!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:15 PM

can some one sent post the link of the fireware i must dowload for h3mod to work on my sansa?

Old 08-23-2007, 01:24 PM
Zune Moderator

Small tip to anybody posting there themes. Instead of making people wait for the downloads or deal with ads. just upload it to TMOhost.com and it will give you a direct download link that you can give for people to download the file. this is very simple and spy-ware free. plus there is a 300mb file size limit. plus it will never be deleted so there isn't any problem with the file disappearing.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:17 PM

How do I completely get rid of version 3.1 and get back to normal?

Old 11-21-2007, 02:37 PM

i am using a .mi4 and copying it to my main directoriy but it just says "refresh database" but nothing happens

Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Zune Moderator

It must be named PP5022.mi4

Old 12-09-2007, 12:14 AM

I am no good with all this terminology and so i have a hard time getting past step 3, i can't find my firmware, i tried loading the theme first but it put it into the firmware slot and said it wasnt valid, im pretty sure if i can find the real firmware it will replace the theme in the firmware section but could someone help me find that dang firmware?

Old 01-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Default ahh!!!

alright, so i downloaded a .mi4 file. cool. how do i copy it?

never mind. i feel like a fool!

Last edited by Aelothe Ordell; 01-05-2008 at 03:20 PM. Reason: answered own question

Old 01-12-2008, 09:22 PM

I'm having some trouble, I download that .mi4 file, I have it renamed and evreyhting and I place it it the root folder while in MSC. Unplug it, system update and then nothing. I'm totally stumped.

Any help?

Old 01-30-2008, 04:45 AM

Loaded the beta 1.03 code and now I can't get rid of it
I've tried copying 1.02 versions of the .mi4 and .rom into the sansa root via MSC but when my system reboots, I've still got 1.03 code running.

Any suggestions???

Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 AM

How do you install themes on a Sansa e250R

I did not intend to buy a rhapsody one, but buy.com decided to throw it in.

Now I have to do everything a different way...

Old 03-05-2008, 09:24 AM

Unhappy theme not appearing??

I used H3MOd to install a theme then I saved the .mi4 file and it replaced the original firmware with the name of PP5022.mi4 and copied it to the root of my sansa but then nothing happened.

I'm very confused...any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 05-03-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changster View Post
How do you install themes on a Sansa e250R

I did not intend to buy a rhapsody one, but buy.com decided to throw it in.

Now I have to do everything a different way...
the thing says you can't do this using the Rhapsody players

Old 05-14-2008, 02:01 AM

worked for me looks cool . i dont kknow whats the problem i copied to the player and it worked .

Old 11-07-2008, 04:20 PM

hello people,
I'm a newbie here. I have a sansa e280 that is already rockboxed. I wish to modify the standard theme with the default rockbox theme.
Any chance that somebody can give me ideas on where to get the H3MOD software to create and install themes? The link posted above for the H3MOD installer does not seem to work.
Thanks!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

All I know is the H3Mods software is here: http://www.cerebus.de/iriver/. I have not played with the H3Mod themes myself tho.