android
Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Why did Sony stop making high capicity players?

Does anyone know why Sony stopped making the 20G, 30G, 40G handheld audio players? Was there too much competition from you know who? Just curious. I have a Sony NW-HD1 and love it, but won't be able to upgrade if Sony doesn't offer anything comparable anymore.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-17-2007, 10:24 PM

I have a feeling Sony no longer produces such players because they have found a niche in the mid capacity, specialty feature (i.e., exercise geared, built in sound cancellation, etc.) flash market. Think about it; if Sony produces larger capacity players, they are competing with Apple's well established domain, not to mention higher capacity mp3 player companies such as Cowon and Archos. Also, lower capacity players have sold better than higher capacity players. Even before Apple introduced the nano, the hard disk based mini was the best selling mp3 player. Most people do not have massive libraries of mp3s. However, if Sony intends to enter the video playing market, they will have to either use higher capacity flash, or perhaps a hybrid drive. Then again, who knows, maybe PRAM (Phase change Random Access Memory) will replace flash as the preferred lower capacity format at the same time that flash replaces hard disks as the standard storage method.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:29 PM

Wink

Sony's new walkmans are nice players, much better than iPods in my opinion, if Sony releases hd players with drag-drop, fm tuner, the nice sound from sony and other. The iPod would die. I think sony is waiting and when they achieve "the perfection" o their flash players they will release HDD players at higher prices and with strong propagana over the world.
Next HDD player from sony may use SSD Discs.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:37 PM

From what I've been told by people who knows sony people, the decision came down to a few things, first form factor, the devices are smaller, battery life since flash uses less power and no moving parts. finally most people rarely have more than a gig or 2 on their players, but most I meant the majority of mp3 player listeners.

the last hdd players were the old old A series, and since then sony has decided against hdd for now in their music players.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:12 PM

I don't know if it applies to the topic, but I'm wondering why Sony could not have added a memory expansion slot, at least with Memory Stick Duo, for those that do want a higher capacity.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-D View Post
I don't know if it applies to the topic, but I'm wondering why Sony could not have added a memory expansion slot, at least with Memory Stick Duo, for those that do want a higher capacity.
Although they would make extra money on the cards they probably decided that selling full players would make them more. If you can expand the capacity then odds are you will keep the player longer before you buy another, effectively hurting the sales of future models.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:01 PM

oh well, its slowly getting larger again. the newNWZ-S639F has a 16gb version. maybe they find it cheaper to work with flash and small mp3 players that look so cute and fancy. And i wanna buy them all :-). wont be long and it will be back up in the 30gb range. It is really annoying that i cant fit my library on my 8gb player. Still cant seem to fit the couple of albums that are left. Can anyone suggest a format that will play better at 64kbps and also that will play on the nwz-a810 range. I so wish they never got rid of atrac in thier last few ranges. Never had a problem with Sonicstage but everyone else loved to moan.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I didn't like Sonic Stage at all, but they really should have kept the players w/the ability to use their ATRAC3 format. It really is a great codec, just didn't get acceptance since they tried to cram it down too many throats!!!
And no9 is on point when he explains why they haven't put an sd slot (or their memory stick pro duo) in their players. Sony, unfortunately, is trying to pull an apple to get people to update their players - instead of updating the players FW for us. Get the new Sony, get the new features. Simple as that.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I won't even take the bait. Sony and I definitely aren't going to prom anymore

Old 11-15-2008, 07:35 AM

Grr, Sony's decision is what is preventing me buying a new MP3 player. (I currently have a NW-A3000, which sounds fantastic, but it horrendous to use).

I have been tempted by the NWZA829K, but 16GB is not enough, I would like to buy an ipod, but until Apple sort out the sound quality (or lack of) and the build quality problems, I won't be going Apple.

I really wish Sony go for a 32GB flash player, based on the NWZA829K and sort of the lack of gapless playback, I would jump on one of those in an instant.., and If priced sensibly, I suspect many others will to..

Old 11-15-2008, 09:22 PM

I agree. I have an 8Gb a728 walkman and I wish Sony has a 32 Gb player.. Regarding Gapless play back.. My sony plays the music "gaplessly". It is the mp3 file that does not start at 0.00 second

Old 11-16-2008, 05:36 PM

I have decided to not buy any of the current offerings from anyone, and hope that the next refresh of the NWZA829 range of Sony players have either a 32GB option, or better still, a memory stick Duo slot, with user expandable memory, where the extended memory integrates seamlessly with the onboard memories filesytem.

If Sony (or any manufacturer for that matter) wants to beat Apple at their game, they need to seriosuly up the ante, the current offerings are not enough,.,.,

Old 11-19-2008, 03:13 PM

I recently got the NWZ-A728 and am pleased with it. I especially like the bigger 2.4-inch screen, yet is still thin and compact. I also would really like too see a 30GB+ version of the A728, give it the E438 round style control buttons, and make it in SILVER! If they do, I would get another Sony Walkman. If not, when the time comes, I'll replace my Walkmans with a competitor, maybe even an IPod since they're silver color friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgillespie View Post
hope that the next refresh of the NWZA829 range of Sony players have either a 32GB option, or better still, a memory stick Duo slot, with user expandable memory, where the extended memory integrates seamlessly with the onboard memories filesytem.
I sure hope they will make it, only thing I would say is not Memory Stick Duo, but SD and SDHC instead. More devices are SD and SDHC compatible and I don't like the idea of getting a separate proprietary card that wouldn't be compatible with anything else other than a Sony product.

Last edited by I like MP3s; 11-19-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:24 PM

I doubt they invole the competition's memory sticks. see SE mobile phoens
all family. cosa nostra

Old 11-24-2008, 03:06 PM

Anyone know the differences between the Sony NWZ-A829B 16 GB and the Sony NWZ-S639F 16GB player (i know that the 829 has bluetooth), is there any other differences?>