android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa e200 > Sansa e200 Rockbox

Old 03-16-2007, 05:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo327 View Post
Well the source file worked for me when I wrote my own mencoder command.
So, continue using it. I can't really say anything about videolan since I have never used it before. I use mplayer/mencoder too. However, I know that vidoelan use avcodec also.

Quote:
The thing is, the video's kind of blocky and out of sync with the audio.
Is it blocky in mplayer?

Quote:
I'm not sure if it's because I used a bad setting or if it's rockbox's fault, though I assume it's mine.
From what I know syncing haven't been optimized yet. You should enable "Limit FPS" and "Skip Frames" in Rockbox.

I
Quote:
t also says here that the res automatically resizes to 220x176, so I just used that instead.
Yes, but why waste space on a flash player with larger files?

Charles

UPDATE: I just noticed that you specify/change the output framerate to 25 FPS with -ofps 25 in your mencoder command. So try adding fps=25 as specified in the comments in the batch file and see if it works.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-16-2007, 06:06 PM

How do I edit the fps in the batch file?

Also, in my mencoder command I noticed I put a low video bitrate, so I thought I'd change it to the suggested bitrate of 469 and see if that'd change the blockiness, but now the video won't work. Might that be the problem?

EDIT: I just added FPS=25 in their statement like you said, and I change the res to 224x176, and it works now. Thanks for the help, dude.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:30 PM

mencoder <input> -of mpeg -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=192 -af resample=44100:0:0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=<bitrate> -vf scale,harddup -ofps 25 -zoom -xy <the width> -o <filename>.mpg

1. abitrate=128 is good enough.
2. vbitrate=256 is good enough (I encoded my Dead Or Alive in 256 and there was no problem whatsoever, the pictures quality was not bad)
3. to avoid "blockiness", do not enter anything at scale and enter 220 to replace <the width>. When you watch the video, you will notice a small distorted band at the bottom. It's because the video and the screen has different ratio and the plugin makes no attempt of resizing the video. Attempting to change the ratio (by defining scale) causes "blockiness".

Old 03-16-2007, 06:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
How do I edit the fps in the batch file?
According to the comment, it looks like you should change:

"C:\Progra~1\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" %1 --sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=%VIDBR%,width=%WIDT H%,height=%HEIGHT%,acodec=mp3,ab=%AUDBR%,samplerat e=44100,audio-sync}:std{access=file,mux=ps,url=%1.mpg} vlc:quit

to

"C:\Progra~1\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" %1 --sout=#transcode{vcodec=mp2v,vb=%VIDBR%,width=%WIDT H%,height=%HEIGHT%,acodec=mp3,ab=%AUDBR%,samplerat e=44100,audio-sync,fps=25}:std{access=file,mux=ps,url=%1.mpg} vlc:quit

(sorry about the formating, but I have no control over it). If this work, maybe this should be the default in the script.

Quote:
Also, in my mencoder command I noticed I put a low video bitrate, so I thought I'd change it to the suggested bitrate of 469 and see if that'd change the blockiness, but now the video won't work. Might that be the problem?
Interesting the video bitrate set in the script is actually 600. I guess you can try lowering it to see if it works.

Charles

Old 03-16-2007, 06:51 PM

Thank, both of you guys. I did what you said, Testdasi, and it works now. The mencoder output is smaller than the vlc output, so I'll be using that mencoder command for now on. Thanks, people.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I just added FPS=25 in their statement like you said, and I change the res to 224x176, and it works now.
Can you test the attached batch files to see if they work for the people who want to use VLC? I have lowered the vid bitrate to the recommended one and add fps=25.

Quote:
Thanks for the help, dude.
No problem.

Charles
Attached Files
File Type: zip transcode_batch_files_reprise.zip (2.1 KB, 22 views)

Old 03-16-2007, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
Can you test the attached batch files to see if they work for the people who want to use VLC? I have lowered the vid bitrate to the recommended one and add fps=25.
Yeah, they're perfect! Great job.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah, they're perfect! Great job.
Great. I will clean some stuff up, make a mencoder version for both Windows and Linux over the weekend and upload them to the programs forum.

Charles

Old 03-16-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testdasi View Post
mencoder <input> -of mpeg -oac lavc -lavcopts acodec=mp2:abitrate=192 -af resample=44100:0:0 -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vbitrate=<bitrate> -vf scale,harddup -ofps 25 -zoom -xy <the width> -o <filename>.mpg

1. abitrate=128 is good enough.
2. vbitrate=256 is good enough (I encoded my Dead Or Alive in 256 and there was no problem whatsoever, the pictures quality was not bad)
3. to avoid "blockiness", do not enter anything at scale and enter 220 to replace <the width>. When you watch the video, you will notice a small distorted band at the bottom. It's because the video and the screen has different ratio and the plugin makes no attempt of resizing the video. Attempting to change the ratio (by defining scale) causes "blockiness".
I allso forgot one thing.
4. -ofps 12 will greatly reduce file size with no noticable effect because the video output is at about 12 fps anyway.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
I fixed it for you. There are 2 batch files in the archive: one for standard res and one for wide screen. Please test them out.

Charles
Thank you! This works, is easy, and reduces reduces the files to less than 1/8 of the AVI source file. The video and audio are off-sync, but I know this is a problem with Rockbox, not the conversion. I've enable skip-frames, and this helps alot, is there anything else I can do?

Old 03-16-2007, 10:51 PM

Now think of it. I think the main factor that almost eliminate off-sync-ness in my videos was the 12 fps.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Now think of it. I think the main factor that almost eliminate off-sync-ness in my videos was the 12 fps.
Most likely, because it doesn't have to drop frames. Have you tried 15 fps to see if the video is slightly smoother?

Charles

Old 03-16-2007, 11:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon View Post
I've enable skip-frames, and this helps alot, is there anything else I can do?
Try this batch file to see if it will play and if the sync is better.

Charles
Attached Files
File Type: zip VLC-transcode_standard.zip (1.0 KB, 11 views)

Old 03-16-2007, 11:36 PM

I did. I turned on the option to show frame rate and no matter what frame rate I tried, it's always played at about 12 fps (11.xx fps). So the player can't go beyond 12 fps, why waste disc space by encoding it at above 12 fps?

Old 03-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
So the player can't go beyond 12 fps, why waste disc space by encoding it at above 12 fps?
Interesting because according to the performance chart here
it is suppose to be 15 fps for the Sansa 200 series.

Charles

Old 03-17-2007, 09:27 AM

So the Sansa is supposed to be capable of displaying 15 fps, but only shows 12 under rockbox... Did anyone consider that this might be a performance issue with Rockbox that may be resolved later. If it's capable of 15fps in native firmware then it's a software difference and things wil improve... but if everyone converts to 12fps then they'll never know if it has improved.

Z.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:28 AM

I convert on a file by file basis. After finish watching, I delete them. So I may test it out every month or so to see if it's better at 15 fps. But what's wrong with 12 fps? It's watchable.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Rockbox Developer

That performance chart is based on actual number: Framerates people have actual gotten.

It's not "How the Sansa Performs" but "How Rockbox performs on the Sansa."

On suggestion: Try lowering the bitrate on your files, as this can allow higher framerates in some cases.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:25 AM

I use WinFF, works flawlessly for me so far.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 AM

definately WinFF. its free and includes really userfriendly conversion methods for any device.