android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa e200 > Sansa e200 Rockbox

Old 03-15-2007, 12:29 AM

Default What video converter/resizer do you use for Rockbox?

Are there any freeware programs that can convert or resize videos so they'll play with Rockbox? Any ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-15-2007, 12:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregon View Post
Are there any freeware programs that can convert or resize videos so they'll play with Rockbox? Any ideas?
I know you are on Windows. The best program is Virtualdub:

http://www.virtualdub.org/

You should also install ffdshow:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

This will allow virtualdub to use and your computer to play almost any codecs.

Charles

Old 03-15-2007, 07:37 AM

Read this
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...uginMpegplayer
Everthing is there.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchan View Post
I know you are on Windows. The best program is Virtualdub:

http://www.virtualdub.org/

You should also install ffdshow:

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm

This will allow virtualdub to use and your computer to play almost any codecs.

Charles
That won't work at all.

Rockbox is in the early stages of supporting MPEG1 - and it still isn't exactly what you call "stable" (sync problems between audio and video, etc).

Virtualdub is an MPEG4 editor, it can't write MPEG1 files. So you can't make videos that work on Rockbox with Virtualdub.

You don't need FFDShow either, because MPEG1 is already supported in Windows right out of the box.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Rockbox Developer

Rockbox supports MPEG2, not just MPEG1. In fact MPEG1 is only there because 2 is backward compatible. Just a clarification, as misinformation seems to spread like wildfire.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:04 AM

Does it already support MPEG2 playback? I read only MPEG1 is (kind of) working at the moment.

Still, MPEG4 editors are no use for converting stuff to Rockbox...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
It is currently capable of playing back MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video streams with MPEG audio multiplexed into .mpg files (MPEG Program Stream).
This can be found on the PluginMpegplayer wiki page. It's been able to play MPEG2 since the very first version. If there's official documentation somewhere that says otherwise, I'd be very grateful to you if you'd point it out so that I can correct it.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:43 AM

Didn't I say read http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...uginMpegplayer?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:49 AM

I'm sorry - I should have read the new Wiki page... I was too caught up in debunking the MPEG4 stuff.

I better get me another coffee.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:54 AM
Rockbox Developer

New? It's been there and said that since Aug 09 last year.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:07 PM

Uh...ok.

Ive been experimenting with creating videos in TMPGEnc 4, and I believe I have found a good combination. With the video limited to 15 FPS, 150 Kbps video bitrate, 64Kbps sound bitrate, encoded in MPEG2. you get nice and clean video comparable to what SMC2 made, fairly decent sound, at about a 1/4th the size. And with Limit FPS and Skip Frames enabled, the A/V stay in sync pretty well. Only downside: Mpeg Player does not bother to refill the buffer, so it packs as much video as it can into the 30 MBs of ram available to it, and quits.One solution Ive found is to cut the video into 20 MB pieces. Play one clip, go onto the next. Overall for a plugin that isnt even finished, in my opinion it works pretty well.

Old 03-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
That won't work at all. :rolleyes]Virtualdub is an MPEG4 editor, it can't write MPEG1 files. So you can't make videos that work on Rockbox with Virtualdub.
Yes, it can, mpeg1 is a ffdshow codecs that can be set in virtualdub. I have done it many times for my Windows friends. Once ffdshow (ffmpeg) is installed, virtualdub can use all the codecs ffdshow supports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
You don't need FFDShow either, because MPEG1 is already supported in Windows right out of the box.
You need it for virtualdub because it can't write mpeg1 files without ffdshow. Also, ffdshow (ffmpeg) is good to have on the computer because it can play virtually any codec that you throw at it.

Charles

Update: I used a friend's Windows computer to take a screenshoot for you in virtualdub:
Attached Images
File Type: gif vitrtualdub_mpeg1.gif (42.9 KB, 45 views)

Old 03-15-2007, 03:45 PM

Go to this rockbox page, and at the bottom, it has instructions for encoding with VLC or mencoder. You just have to substitute the width and height with the given resolutions in the table. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo327 View Post
Go to this rockbox page, and at the bottom, it has instructions for encoding with VLC or mencoder.
Do you know if the experimental Windows mencoder GUI frontend is stable enough for non-cli people to use yet? The last time I tried it, it wasn't ready and I don't have access to Windows right now.

Charles

Old 03-15-2007, 04:48 PM

mencoder silly!

Old 03-15-2007, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Do you know if the experimental Windows mencoder GUI frontend is stable enough for non-cli people to use yet? The last time I tried it, it wasn't ready and I don't have access to Windows right now.

Charles
I use mencoder on Linux... my wife has a windows 98 pc, and doesn't like using CLI much. I wrote a simple WXPython application for her to transcode .mov files to DVD format .mpg files. I could probably modify it slightly for you if you ask nicely. It won't give you lots of options, but what it does is wrap a standard command line into a GUI format. You select an input file (using a gui) and it defaults the output file to something sensible (but you can change that if you want) and then you hit GO and it runs the built in mencoder command.

It's stable and it works, you will need mencoder, python and wxpython installed to make use of it. If you want a GUI interface that allows you to play with all of the options then I don't mind you playing with my code to make something even more useful, but I'm not doing it myself...

I don't have enough time right now.

Z.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:53 PM

I use the batch file from rockbox.org Here if you want my file I attached it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VLC-transcode.zip (1,017 Bytes, 34 views)

Old 03-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic View Post
mencoder silly!
Why? Together with ffmpeg and transcode (of course I know both mecoder and transcode uses ffmpeg and extend on it), they are the best transcoders that I have found.

Charles

Old 03-15-2007, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Why? Together with ffmpeg and transcode (of course I know both mecoder and transcode uses ffmpeg and extend on it), they are the best transcoders that I have found.

Charles

I think he meant "I use" mencoder "and you are" silly!

Z.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwack View Post
I wrote a simple WXPython application for her to transcode .mov files to DVD format .mpg files. I could probably modify it slightly for you if you ask nicely.
I am using Linux too (totally switched over from a dual boot system in 1995) and I prefer using cli for this. I was just thinking about all the non-cli people on this site. Anyway, I was just curious about the status of the official Windows mencoder GUI frontend by the mplayer team. I will ask on the mplayer list.

I refuse to install wine to test it out.

Charles