android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 05-29-2012, 11:37 AM

Default Most Comfortable $50 Headphones

I do care about sound quality. Honest. But as someone who would probably have my headphones on for hours on end, reading online reviews with complaints about comfort make me nervous about what otherwise sound like amazing deals (Audio technica Auth-M50s for instance).

I will be using this for listening to a very broad range of music, classical, heavy metal, rock, folk, etc. As well as plugging into my Fender amp for practicing. I absolutely do not care about noise cancelling. I mean that's a nice feature but if I can hear outside noise that's alright with me, I'm used to it with my earphones anyway. Similarly I don't really care if sound leaks out as long as the listening quality doesn't suffer.

$50 budget is mostly a guideline. But I won't go over $60 and I would like to go under $50 if I find a good deal.

Closed or open I don't care at all. Only guideline is that sound is decent, and they will be very comfortable, even if I wear them for 6 hours at a time.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2012, 12:09 PM
Administrator

---thread moved per member request---

If you take a look here you may want to add more info listed there. You may be able to take a step up or find something that fits your needs better if you supply more information. Location can be very important when price is a criteria. What's available at a reasonable price in one part of the world may be out of your price range in another area.

As your request stands a set of Koss Portapro or JVC Flats would fill the bill. Both are very comfortable IMO and sound decent. The Flats are surprisingly good for the price.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:17 PM

Definitely a good source. Shows I did miss a few things.

Primary Location of use: Mostly at home. Might be nice outside on a nice day but I don't expect large headphones to be great with heat and lengthy cords might be awkward. I guess bonus points if it is comfortable on the go but not make or break.
Source(s): Mainly my Clip Zip and my Fender amplifier. Will also plug into computer fairly often.

Currently I have really been considering the Sony MDR-Xb500 and the JVC HARX900. If anyone has experience with these that would be great. I'll look up the ones you mentioned.

Last edited by Gerbilkit; 05-29-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Xb500 is supremely comfortable. They look dumb as hell but they are the most comfortable set I have. Sound is bass heavy but the clip can equal so you are set. Cortex 2500 is pretty comfy too. The pannasonic flavor of the month is comfortable too. Cant remember the model off top of my head.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you were looking to go for IEMs, there's a nifty deal in the ABI Classifieds right now.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68569

Old 05-29-2012, 01:47 PM

You could try one of the circumaural Superluxes. They all have those nice, spacious (10cm diameter) cups that go around most peoples' ears. If you like them, you could also invest in some Beyerdynamic DT700-series velour earpads and the result should be a supremely comfortable set.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerman View Post
If you were looking to go for IEMs, there's a nifty deal in the ABI Classifieds right now.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68569
Here I'll start showing my supreme ignorance. I didn't know IEMs were made at a higher quality. I always thought if you wanted better than entry level sound you had to go for bigger devices. I may need to do more research as that is an intriguing option.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbilkit View Post
Here I'll start showing my supreme ignorance. I didn't know IEMs were made at a higher quality. I always thought if you wanted better than entry level sound you had to go for bigger devices. I may need to do more research as that is an intriguing option.
not at all. there are way more options in the IEM world under $300 right now actually. Tons of really good options at the $40-100 mark. For your price range I would say the Soundmagic E10 all the way. Love mine and a great all around set that responds to EQ well.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:09 PM

But how many IEMs can be truly said do be comfortable enough to be worn for 6+ hours straight? Sure, there are some IEMs that are surprisingly comfortable and there is also the option of using foam tips such as those over-priced Comply tips; however, in my experience, they are never as comfortable as full-size headphones.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Disclaimer...YMMV due to individual ear characteristics with IEMs.

Most days I wear my e10 with comply (not overpriced if you compare the comfort value) all day. A pair of E10 and a set of comply tips is $50. I have had my comply tips for about 6 months and still on my first pair. I dont remove the tips all the time, I store the IEMs in a hard case and don't use anything harsh on them when I clean them. I do not have a set of headphones that compare for $50. I have to take off my xb500 periodically to get air in there and my ws55 has a little clamp and barely fits over my ears. the weight of the cortex can be irritating on my head at times too. All cans can mess with your hair too. Pulling and flattening wear the headband goes across.

I do have to go stretches without using IEMs sometimes though. If I remove and insert them frequently my ear gets irritated and I switch to cans.

My point is they both have comfort tradeoffs and its a preference as to which you like personally.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

IEMs often give much better sound at each price point, however they are much less durable than a well made headphone. IEMs can give you isolation without hot ears. The most comfortable headphones are probably Sennheiser open ones, however in the sub $50 price range there isn't much of a selection of decent ones. Even the Sennheiser PX100II is $55 or more in the US. The good circumaural Sennheisers are even more expensive.

An ATH-M50, or Sony V6 for example will make your ears very hot after a while, as all larger sized closed headphones will, especially the Sony XB500.

The JVC HA-S160 Flats is closed, but won't make your ears so hot due to its very small size. It sounds great for the $13 price.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:58 PM

For my normal listening I use the Sony MDR-J10s which are cheap but acceptable for me. They have over ear hooks which are essential for me especially when bike riding as I find that earbuds fall out of my ears all the time and drive me nuts. That would be the biggest concern I would have with IEMs.

The JVC flats look like a great option to me. The only thing I don't know is how good they would be plugged into my amp. Still at that price they look very much worth a try. Can anyone who has used them comment a bit more on your impressions? How does their sound quality compare to pricier headphones in the $12-$50 range. I know that's hard to quantify but are the differences such that you would consider it only good for light listening? Do you have any comparison such as JVC flat vs the soundmagic e10s a previous poster mentioned that I am considering now.

Last edited by Gerbilkit; 05-29-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I personally dont like on-ear headphones so I have never tried the Flats. For the ear hooks, they make universal sets. I use Phonak ear guides but they can be hard to find. meelectronics makes them too and they are cheaper

http://www.meelec.com/category_s/393.htm

Old 05-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Administrator

My opinion on the JVC Flats is in a recent thread here. They keep being described as surprisingly good for the price because you simply don't expect anything at that price point to sound as good as they do.

I can't say they are better than the Portapro or the Senn PX-100 II but they certainly give them a run for the money. The Flats are the pair I like to think would hold me during the exchange if my Portapro ever break. I prefer the greater bass extension and quantity plus the open sound sig on the Portapro but I wouldn't cry if all I had were the Flats.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:18 PM

My biggest concern with the E10s is first of all the tendency to fall out. Seeing that one can buy cable guides gives me a lot more confidence as I know if they have this problem I could buy these.

However I feel a bit like I do with flash drives. Sooner or later I know I will leave them in the wrong place. No big deal with $7 cheapos but for $30 not too sure I trust myself. It's a pity one can't test headphones before buying. The nice thing about IEM is that I could use it for my normal listening around town and at work as well as at home with my amp. Something I didn't think I could do easily with larger phones.

Thanks for all the input. I knew I was coming to the right place.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Using the ear guides, a good set of tips, and the provided shirt clip these wont fall out. I work out with them and have played basketball with them. I wouldnt advise that last one too often though. the complys soak up sweat. as far as leaving them around...just dont . Get an altoid tin to store them in. I find that if I have a designated place to put things then I am less likely to leave them around.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:33 PM

I did realize one critical issue playing today. If I am plugging into the amplifier the standard 3 ft cable really doesn't cut it. I don't know if something like a cord extension would be worth it or would compromise quality, but I'm going to need some more maneuvering room when actually playing.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have the JVC Flats and i think they sound great with my Clip Zip.

i would start out with those and check the deals section of the forum to see if anyone has posted a link to a great buy

Old 05-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

IEMs can be dangerous if worn when you need to hear your surroundings, such as when you are walking through traffic or bicycling.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
IEMs can be dangerous if worn when you need to hear your surroundings, such as when you are walking through traffic or bicycling.
This argument comes up periodically and honestly it kinda pisses me off. Not because its untrue but because people make it out like IEMs are somehow less safe than about 100 other ways to not pay attention to your surroundings. Headphones aren't any better, even most open cans. Car stereos or talking on cellphones and only using your mirrors to merge in traffic for that matter. Like anything, use common sense. If you cant hear, use your eyes more dilligently. Keep volume lower as well. Only time I came close to serious injury while listening to music on the move I was listening to my vanilla ice cassette in my Walkman while cutting the grass. Pulled the mower out in front of a truck and didnt look up once. That was before iems.