android
Old 05-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post

What about gapless playback with the files that support that? Is it working? If it does is it true gapless or the guess ahead type that sometime leaves little gaps?
I'll get back to you on that....don't know yet.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-18-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
As much as many people dislike the practices of Apple, their devices really are nice pieces of kit. My 4th and 5th gen Touches sound as good as any players I have heard, although if bought brand new they are certainly pricey.
(I paid $285 or so for the 4th gen one a few years back).

No Google Play music app in the WP store, although I am not terribly surprised by that.
How is the battery on the 4? I'm guessing it's from 2010 or 11.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Sadly, as far as I can tell, MM is an app available for Windows 8 or 8.1, but not Windows Phone 8....maybe that will change when the WP 8.1 update rolls out.

So what I did is take my shuffle mix and with foobar, applied track gain directly to the tracks....so I can shuffle without fear of being blasted out on a song transition. Individual albums I will just leave as is, at this point.
How do the podcast apps on wp compare to say pocketcasts on android?

Old 05-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
How do the podcast apps on wp compare to say pocketcasts on android?
I haven't tried any of them, but here is the list.... http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/st...rch?q=podcasts

Old 05-19-2014, 04:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
What about gapless playback with the files that support that? Is it working? If it does is it true gapless or the guess ahead type that sometime leaves little gaps?
Well, I just gave it a whirl with some gapless albums, and it is not true gapless. If memory serves me, it's reminiscent of the non-Android Sony players...it doesn't really bother me (I don't really have that many gapless albums), but it would be enough to bother someone that is picky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
I originally bought it in January of 2011, it was released in the fall of 2010. It was my first portable "smart" device, which is part of the reason why after trading it away for a while, I ended up making another trade to get it back....nostalgia, you know?

If I am just playing music from the internal 32GB, it lasts quite a long time, like always. If I am streaming music at work, then I am careful to keep the screen dark if I don't have access to a charger. I think the last time I did that, six hours of streaming Pandora at max volume used about 60 or 70% of the charge, but I'm not positive on that.

Out of curiosity now, I will try to remember to use that player Wednesday night at work, starting out with a full charge, and see how it holds up.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Well, I just gave it a whirl with some gapless albums, and it is not true gapless. If memory serves me, it's reminiscent of the non-Android Sony players...it doesn't really bother me (I don't really have that many gapless albums), but it would be enough to bother someone that is picky.
That doesn't sound too bad. The Sonys I've had weren't in anyway gapless. At least they didn't have the very noticeable click-clack\stop-start of some earlier android devices. As long as it's not that I could live with it.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:19 AM

The "let's make mowing the lawn fun" rig

The "I'm going to sit on my ass all day and play fifa while listening to podcasts rig"

The "I have 15 minutes at work to listen to music and don't want to travel heavy rig"

The "Throw in Pocket and Go" Rig

The headphones I throw in my backpack just in case my iems break when on a road trip and sometimes use at my computer desk

Old 05-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeven View Post
Quote:

I originally bought it in January of 2011, it was released in the fall of 2010. It was my first portable "smart" device, which is part of the reason why after trading it away for a while, I ended up making another trade to get it back....nostalgia, you know?

If I am just playing music from the internal 32GB, it lasts quite a long time, like always. If I am streaming music at work, then I am careful to keep the screen dark if I don't have access to a charger. I think the last time I did that, six hours of streaming Pandora at max volume used about 60 or 70% of the charge, but I'm not positive on that.

Out of curiosity now, I will try to remember to use that player Wednesday night at work, starting out with a full charge, and see how it holds up.
Well, I used the Touch 4G last night at work, didn't get to plug in until the boss went home though. So, streaming Pandora internet radio at max volume with the work stereo plugged into the headphone-out, I had it running from 7:00 PM until 12:30 AM, occasionally waking the screen to thumb up or thumb down a song. End result? 70% charge remaining, which is better than I expected....so it seems there really has not been much loss of battery duration in this player since I bought it.

Must be that the time before, where I remembered a lot more battery discharge, the screen had been awake a lot more.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Well, I used the Touch 4G last night at work, didn't get to plug in until the boss went home though. So, streaming Pandora internet radio at max volume with the work stereo plugged into the headphone-out, I had it running from 7:00 PM until 12:30 AM, occasionally waking the screen to thumb up or thumb down a song. End result? 70% charge remaining, which is better than I expected....so it seems there really has not been much loss of battery duration in this player since I bought it.

Must be that the time before, where I remembered a lot more battery discharge, the screen had been awake a lot more.
That's interesting - the battery seems to be holding up well after 3 and a half years. I'm interested in Apple because they tend to put smaller batteries in their products than the Android equivalents (although there is no real equivalent of an iPod Touch).

I've been on forums where people have murdered their iPhone battery in less than a year! But people tend to be more vocal when complaining rather than praising.

My (new) iPhone appears to have a good battery in it thus far.

Last edited by Jeven; 05-22-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Old 05-24-2014, 04:59 PM

I think I have a problem. I have all this and yet I'm still considering getting a windows phone to use as an mp3 player. Or maybe a cheap xperia.

Old 05-25-2014, 12:03 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I think I have a problem. I have all this and yet I'm still considering getting a windows phone to use as an mp3 player. Or maybe a cheap xperia.

(photo snipped)
I know how that is. Read what is in my sig, and factor in that I might also be getting a used iPhone 4S, if my boss can replace the screen successfully.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:27 AM

@mamamia Why a Windows Phone?
Does Windows Phone have something special as an mp3 player, or just for the diversity of it :P

Old 05-25-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaduSpeedy View Post
@mamamia Why a Windows Phone?
Does Windows Phone have something special as an mp3 player, or just for the diversity of it :P
Because, the one I'm looking at always goes on sale for $50 and seems to be better than cheap android phones. And I listen to a bunch of podcasts so I want something that has a podcast app rather than wasting my phones battery. And since it's so cheap I don't really have to worry about accidently dropping it and it shattering into a million pieces.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:59 PM

I'd love to use my Nexus as some form of media device, but the hiss when i plug in earphones/headphones is awful

Old 05-25-2014, 06:19 PM

There are kernels to fix that(at least for the Samsung devices that I own(ed))

Old 05-27-2014, 09:00 AM

Talking MY P0RTABLE SETuP!

hey guys n gurls,,,,,

my names kev and I thought I would show you guys what im running with.
its a cowon d2 8gig with a 16gig micro sd, choc full of FLAC files. Im also running the signal through a fii0 e11 portable amp which sounds amazing! I purchased a noreve leather case for the d2 and mounted the e11 to the front of it. I am using vsonic VSD1S pro earphones which im extremely happy with.
when I am at home I plug in my audio technica ATH-M50'S, which also sound pretty sweet. I have heard lots of setups over the years, some a lot more expensive than what I am runnin, but to be honest I am yet to be blown away by anything else to date. simple, cost effective and beautiful to the ear... im sure theres so many better setups out there but for me, im pretty happy. what do you guys think of this for a setup?i would appreciate the feedback!!

peace and bannanas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140527_234702_resized.jpg (34.1 KB, 25 views)

Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distorted_vision View Post
hey guys n gurls,,,,,

my names kev and I thought I would show you guys what im running with.
its a cowon d2 8gig with a 16gig micro sd, choc full of FLAC files. Im also running the signal through a fii0 e11 portable amp which sounds amazing! I purchased a noreve leather case for the d2 and mounted the e11 to the front of it. I am using vsonic VSD1S pro earphones which im extremely happy with.
when I am at home I plug in my audio technica ATH-M50'S, which also sound pretty sweet. I have heard lots of setups over the years, some a lot more expensive than what I am runnin, but to be honest I am yet to be blown away by anything else to date. simple, cost effective and beautiful to the ear... im sure theres so many better setups out there but for me, im pretty happy. what do you guys think of this for a setup?i would appreciate the feedback!!

peace and bannanas
Nice looking gear. Just seems weird that people consider something portable if they have to sit at a desk while using it. At that point I'd rather just use my computer to playback the music.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Nice looking gear. Just seems weird that people consider something portable if they have to sit at a desk while using it. At that point I'd rather just use my computer to playback the music.
Thanks
I dont sit at my desk and use it. I do sit in my meditation room with my m50's tho. The sound compared to that of my laptop is leagues apart. I was on the laptop at home and took a photo of my gear to show you guys. I dont listen to music from my laptop. I run my modified cd deck with my home made valve tube amp and home made transmission line speakers if im at home.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaduSpeedy View Post
There are kernels to fix that(at least for the Samsung devices that I own(ed))
I don't believe hiss with the Tegra based first gen Nexus devices can't be fixed at the kernel level. The output impedance has been measured as ~100 ohms. That's enough to cause hiss and possibly noticeable bass rolloff with most IEMs.

The second gen Nexus 7 audio output is much better. The Qualcomm chipset used is measurably better. Google also seems to be taking audio quality seriously in their devices and android in general. They made audio improvements available in the API starting with Jelly Bean and continuing in Kit Kat. I'm guessing those improvements are included in the roms that improve the sound on the Samsung devices you mention. They certainly do on the Samsungs I've upgraded from Gingerbread.

The hardware has to be up to it but the difference can be quite noticeable. If nothing else having gapless playback available starting with JB has made a difference for me.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distorted_vision View Post
Thanks
I dont sit at my desk and use it. I was on the laptop at home and took a photo of my gear to show you guys. I dont listen to music from my laptop. I run my modified cd deck with my home made valve tube amp and home made transmission line speakers if im at home.
I understand what you meant. It's just my definition of portable is different than some peoples definiton of portable. A rig like yours isn't something I would want in my pocket. It's something I would listen too while sittng on the couch playing video games and when it's time to get up to get some food or go to the bathroom I would leave it on the couch. The whole appeal of a portable system to me is that it follows me when I get up to go to the bathroom or leave the house

Tags
audio pron, daps, images, photos, pictures