android
Old 04-28-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3602 View Post
We all have different ears.
And I completely agree with you when we’re talking sound quality. Just like your statement that you do not like BA’s, “we all have different ears,” your opinion there is understandable. Although comfort is easier to relay, maybe you should be saying “we all have different acceptable levels of the threshold of pain” instead

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-28-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
And, from what I've seen, your opinion seems to differ from what most of us agree upon. I'll wait for the dfkt response as well,...
Indeed I have not heard it. However I bet that most of you guys here (excluding dfkt) have not heard it either. So what's up with the preemptive bashing?

Old 04-28-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
... what's up with the preemptive bashing?
What bashing? We're discussing what we perceive and I only stated what I perceived after Jack4L stated "even wearing them was uncomfortable with those metal things poking into the side of your head (right infront of your ears)."

Edit: Am I seeing a pattern here? Could you enjoy being a rabble-rouser

Last edited by WalkGood; 04-28-2012 at 02:43 PM.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
So what's up with the preemptive bashing?
What are you talking about? There's bashing, and then there's observation. I stated what I've observed,...but you seem to take it personally. Not my concern,...

As for dfkt, I respect his opinion & his reviews,...'nuff said.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:53 PM

I'm still interested in those DBI Pro 700s and 705s. Does anyone have any solid information about them? I'm really looking for some unbreakable headphones - something that can really take a beating but still sound good.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't know why anyone would think those PFR's would sound any better then any other set of headphones? The whole purpose of them was to just get as much stuff off the side of your head as possible, but still remain portable and personal. At least that's what I think they were going for. If anything they are weaker and smaller drivers compared most headphones in the same price category.

If total freedom from sweat inducing surfaces on the side of your head isn't your most important feature in a set of headphones- just ask yourself this question: Would you rather have leather/velour pads hugging the side of your head snugly/loosely or 2 metal rods poking uncomfortably close to your ear canals? I mean you have every right to say and think that would be the most comfortable way to wear headphones but let me atleast remind you that those metal rods have to press themselves into the side of your head to actually stay in place Also, they are freaking metal- not some kind of gentle soft silicon pads. Its just the craziest thing in the world and, yes your right to want to try them on. Its worth it in that sense.

Even when I was taking them off I remember thinking "Oh boy- what have you got your head into this time? Just be careful not to gouge out your eyes..."

Old 04-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@DietSalem: I owned both the 700 & the 705. The sq is good, and they do respond well to amping and a quality EQ. Look on eBay for a seller, as they occasionally do come up for sale.

But, be forewarned: the build quality is tank like, yes. But the cable weighs a ton. It's coiled steel over the cables, to protect them. They're actually mostly used in HMV stores at their listening stations, and they're designed to take abuse. DFKT recabled mine (dbi-pro700), and it took a ton off the poundage,...

dbi-pro on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

Last edited by The DarkSide; 04-28-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
My interest is peaked, I'd like to hear about the sound quality and if they are comfortable to wear.
Quote:
I'll wait for the dfkt response as well,...
They sound very, very good for my taste. Out of the box, they don't have much sub-bass to speak of, but a little EQ helps. The rest is great - rich, full midrange, sparkly treble that isn't sibilant or fatiguing, excellent overall clarity. And of course stereo imaging that is way out of the head, like the AKG K1000 (just with bass). They're really dynamic and engaging. They come with a dedicated booster amp which they truly need to perform - without the amp they sound really weak. I assume the amp is specifically tuned for those phones, but I'll have to measure it if Sony did some tricks there.

They are comfortable enough with the foam pads on the bass tubes, and the headband well adjusted. That way the load gets taken off the in-ear parts and distributed to the resting parts above the ears. (Without the foam pads they're a lot more uncomfortable - no idea if demo pairs in stores have those on?)

They're really no portable headphones to use out and about (100% sound leakage, silly looks, etc), but I've been using them on the terrace while reading a book - and for that they give a really grand sound image, indeed like a pair of "personal speakers", as they are advertised.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
@DietSalem: I owned both the 700 & the 705. The sq is good, and they do respond well to amping and a quality EQ. Look on eBay for a seller, as they occasionally do come up for sale.

But, be forewarned: the build quality is tank like, yes. But the cable weighs a ton. It's coiled steel over the cables, to protect them. They're actually mostly used in HMV stores at their listening stations, and they're designed to take abuse. DFKT recabled mine (dbi-pro700), and it took a ton off the poundage,...

dbi-pro on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories
Just ordered some 700s. What is the difference with the 705s? I may pick some of those up too. The heavy cables is COMPLETELY fine with me. Whatever makes them last as long as possible is all that I care about as long as the sound quality is listen-to-able. Durability is the single most important thing to me now. Those Cortex CHP-2500s didn't last a month.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks dfkt!!! I saw them for sale on Amazon, and they cost an arm & a leg. They really are some funky looking hp's, but the floats take the prize.

@DietSalem: The 705 is said to sound better in the bass dept, but I think the 700 has overall better clarity. The 700 is the better of the two IMO. I didn't like the 705 too much.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 PM

Glad you like the PVR-F1, dfkt
I think these are are easily worth the £100 (refurbished) they cost me, even though they're limited to home/terrace/garden use.

@Jack4L, I agree that the metal rods are somewhat uncomfortable, but that's why Sony included foam pads. Obviously your demo pair was missing the pads. Plus, a noisy store is less than ideal to audition these completely open phones.

Overall the PVR-F1 are clearly niche phones and AFAIK already discontinued, but imo nevertheless recommendable if you're looking for that kind of out-of-head presentation and can get one at a good price.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:58 PM

Indeed, James444 - I'm surprised I like their sound that much and have no real comfort issues with their "experimental" design.

On the other hand, the Koss dual drivers you borrowed me are not only the least comfortable things I ever shoved in my ears, they also sound rather crappy... not sure I need more "brain burn-in" for the muddy mess they deliver, but my KSC75 that cost 1/10th or so sound much better overall.

Old 04-28-2012, 05:44 PM

All owner impressions I've read about the Koss KDE250 have been either hit or miss so far. Luckily I'm having no comfort issues at all and think they sound great, in some aspects (e.g. dynamics) even better than the PVR-F1.

The key factor with these is NOT to shove them in your ears, but wear them rather loose and distanced from the ear canal. This way they shouldn't sound muddy at all, though admittedly deep bass is more or less MIA.

Both phones have amazing soundstage and are among my favorite ones for classical music.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:39 PM

My new Sansa Clip+ mod. Dead silent!

Old 05-01-2012, 04:18 PM

I welcome two new members to my collection (no idea why the picture is sideways, it was never sideways to begin with on the camera.)

After months of laziness I finally finished my O2. The soldering isn't perfect (the voltage regulator at U5 was particularly awful) but it seems to be working for now. Also loving the J3, glad I snagged one right before they got discontinued.

Last edited by El C; 05-01-2012 at 04:28 PM.

Old 05-01-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liQuid View Post
My new Sansa Clip+ mod. Dead silent!
You might wanna add a casing to that.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:25 AM

fuzev2 + cmoy + ba200

Old 05-02-2012, 10:31 AM

I just heard the BA200 the other day... very nice for the price. I just wish they'd be a bit more dynamic. And maybe had a less huge Y-splitter.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 AM

Nice
Do you find the housing a bit large for only dual BA's? Or is it just the pictures that make it look large to me?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
I just heard the BA200 the other day... very nice for the price. I just wish they'd be a bit more dynamic. And maybe had a less huge Y-splitter.
+1, the Y-splitter is really annoying.. the cable seems fair, but its flatness is sometimes irritating on the ears I hope they will consider those factors in their next build

Tags
audio pron, daps, images, photos, pictures