android
Old 01-24-2011, 10:59 AM

Oh boy, another "endorsement" phone - at least it's not the Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber phones.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Reminds me of the Bose In Ear somewhat.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Contributing Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Oh boy, another "endorsement" phone - at least it's not the Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber phones.
Yeah I know. I was skeptical, but saw some hands on from Engadget and a couple other sites. I figured I would put them through a thorough hands on and then get a review out there seeing how they are new.

Quote:
Reminds me of the Bose In Ear somewhat.
They are with the ear tube. Similar feel too. The Bose will come out easily though. These actually do stay in, but never really "seal" for t a really nice fit.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Banned

The Sony tips that came with my A are a lot better than anything which came with the ie8s.

i haven't decided whether or not I like them yet - they need more time.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Right out of the box, with no EQ, they sound pretty good coming from a Clip+. I'll probably do some slight EQ-ing once I've had them long enough to do comparisons to my other 'phones, but these first few days, anyways, I'll run them flat. It's possible they will settle in a little....I don't think that "burn-in" really does very much to headphones.

Going strictly from memory, the upper mids do seem a bit more audible than the PX100's used to, which is a good thing....I always had to bump them up with the PX100's.

Over the next few days, I will let myself get a better feel for them before I really comment further, but so far, so good!

@dfkt, yes, Portapros.
Well, now that I've had more time to use the Portapros, I must say it was a great purchase, for $33 shipped. No EQ or amp required, either when used with the Rockboxed Sansas or the Touch....they're "just right". Can't wait to try them with the i9 that's coming in the mail. And they're quite comfortable once you get them on and in position....I wore them for several hours the other night and almost forgot I had them on.

I'm guessing it's mostly the clamping force of the headband as compared to the clip-on KSC75, but even holding the KSC75 against my ears, the PP's are louder....maybe the in-line volume on the KSC75's added resistance? Most of the sound sig difference can be explained by the headband vs. clip-on style, though. But the wire is starting to give out on the KSC75's anyways, so I'll retire them. It would cost me more to ship them to Koss for warranty replacement than it did to buy them, anyways....but I've gotten my $5.74 worth out of them.

As far as the Flats, I haven't touched them since the day I got the PP's and compared them. Not that they are bad, not at all, but the PP's sound better and are more comfy.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
As far as the Flats, I haven't touched them since the day I got the PP's and compared them. Not that they are bad, not at all, but the PP's sound better and are more comfy.
that's good to knw as i was looking at the flats as an alternative to my PPs, which i used for running outdoors (gave them to my sis who's moved abroad).. will probably just get another pair of PPs as i knw what they sound like and also coz it'd be safer to use open cans than closed ones while outdoors

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Old 01-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusion View Post
that's good to knw as i was looking at the flats as an alternative to my PPs, which i used for running outdoors (gave them to my sis who's moved abroad).. will probably just get another pair of PPs as i knw what they sound like and also coz it'd be safer to use open cans than closed ones while outdoors
Quite right! I didn't like using the Flats if I was out walking the streets, they don't isolate as much as IEM's, but they do attenuate sound somewhat, especially with music playing. I'd prefer to hear the traffic behind me, rather than get hit by another car ....although a nice injury settlement would be cool!

Old 01-25-2011, 12:32 PM

Illusion, after your basshead comparison, I would suggest you give the $60-70 AKG K518 a try. I think you might like them. Personally, I would say they're among the best closed cans in that price range - sound, build, and comfort-wise.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 PM

I've tried the AKG K518 and was interested in them before i got the Senn PX-100ii..the AKGs are quite expensive ATM here in Dubai, closer to $120 than $60..if they do come down in price, i might think of getting those

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Old 01-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@Marvin: Congrats on the new gear! A plethora of new toys for you in recent weeks! iTouch, PortaPros and now I see you are sneakily acquiring an i9? Good for you buddy!

@nodirectionhome: damm, that white Sony A is very sexy! I wonder if those white stock Sony A tips are similar to the Hybrids?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-25-2011, 03:01 PM

Odds are they are hybrids, when i was at the Sony store getting mine they had the choice of white or black. On a side note is it just me or does going into a Sony Style feel like walking into a communist country? lol
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 01-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Banned

I think they are the hybrids - they're actually a really tight fit to get them on the ie8s, but the quality of the silicone is a lot better.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Contributing Editor

Ok, got the newer Sennheiser's for training. The newer Adidas/ Sennhesiers phones are a terrible design. These will do.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Got a new carrying case for my gear. Its a Case Logic PHDC1 holding a J3, Ipod Touch and HippoVB (pimped with phonak ear guides and Shure Olives)...

and a nother new arrival...Fischer Audio Eterna...was supposed to be the reprod of the v1 but i have no idea how to deal, nor do I really care after the ordeal and wait to get these.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 AM

That has some of my old stuff that I don't use. This is the stuff I do use:

My Gear:
- Samsung P3 32GB Black (no faults at all! )
- Sony NWZ-B153F 4GB Red (brand new, got it yesterday )
- Sony MDR EX50's Red (still working, still being used, matches the Sony player well )
- Sony MDR XB40EX's Silver (brand new, got them yesterday )
- Creative Zen 16GB Black (old, unused, but still working)
- Sennheiser CX 400 II's (old, unused, not working )

Old 01-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

As always, good stuff people! Love DAP pr0n

@IDvEgo: Nice case and congrats on the new toys...I too plan to get some small camera type cases for my stuff at some point. That stuff is dirt cheap here in HK

Look forward to your impressions of the stuff...
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-27-2011, 08:33 AM

Old 01-27-2011, 08:50 AM

Hi guys!

2nd post here!

My current portable rig

P3 > Corda Stepdance > Westone ES5

Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 AM

@dfkt
decided to get your own ortos

Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ yeah. Not only does dfkt have access/own some of the nicest toys, he also takes alarmingly fine pictures.

Those Ortos look like sexy black bullets with an armor piercing tip - love it!
A Glossary for Newbies

Tags
audio pron, daps, images, photos, pictures