android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Sony Walkman

Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 AM

Default 2 sonys products, different verions of sonicstage....ermmmm help!

Hi there,

Im new to the forum so I hope im not re-hashing anything. I have tried the search function but couldnt find anything.

Right......

I have a 20GB sony Nw-HD5 (Never had a prob with it. Sonicstage once your used to it works....thats about it mind)

I have just bought my girlfriend the new NW-A3000. (it was cheap, it was purple, im the one putting music on it anyway as im familiar with SS i thought i would get it for her)

I installed her version of sonicstage and it wiped my version (kind of understandable in theory the newer the better)

I read a while ago that if you upgrade sonicstage or plug your mp3 player that used an older version in to the new sonicstage that it will wipe the mp3 player and all songs will have to be transfered again!!!

Does anyone know if this is the case?????

As i reallllllly dont want to have to go about ripping all my music again, i didnt save much of it on the hard drive as at the time it was my parents cpu.

Please someone help, can anyone clarify what will happen if i plug my precious mp3 player into the vile new (PURPLE!!!) version of sonicstage!

Thanks all

C60

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-02-2007, 02:52 PM

I also have the HD5 and have been a Hi-MD and NetMD user for the past several years. Sonicstage has developed from a crappy program to a very good one over this time.

There is one problem that remains and you pretty much discovered it. However, an upgrade to a different version will not "wipe" your unit automatically. You have to manually reinitialize your HD5 to add any more material to it. This does clear out the memory of the unit. I've just used this as an opportunity to clean up the memory of my HD5.

I did think I heard the latest version (4.2) may have solved this. I'm using 4.0 because the upgrade to 4.2 didn't add anything of value for me.

When you connect your HD5 and attempt a transfer, you'll know right away because a message will come up telling you that a reinitialization is necessary. But it won't clear out your unit until you actually do that.