android
Old 02-21-2007, 04:48 PM

Default e250 not showing up on mac osx

Hiya,

I got the Sansa e250 in anticipation to work with the Macs we have at school. But it's not showing up at all on the desktop or anywhere. It says "connected" and the battery starts charging, but nothing on the Mac.

It's a Mac OSX 10.4.8. I've tried MSC and MTP (i believe its just MSC i'm suppose to use) and i've tried the usb ports on the keyboard, back and front of the computer. All have the same result of nothing, except the keyboard does make it pop up with "low power usb device".

When i got the e250 at Christmas I just plugged it in on my PC and it worked. I didn't format it or anything. I then updated the firmware from the Sandisk site around new years.

Is there anything I can do to get it working on a Mac?

PS, what's rockbox and will that help me?

Ta.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-22-2007, 03:16 AM

No? Anyone? Dust...

Firmware is 01.02.15p (pacific, i guess), so that's the latest official.

Is no one else having e200 troubles with Mac OSX 10?

Old 02-22-2007, 08:32 AM

Not using a mac I can't be much help... but in response to your ps...

Rockbox is an alternative firmware for lots of mp3 players. The sansa port is in development. It has lots of features that the original firmware doesn't have, but currently it has no sound support on the Sansa.

Once that is there it might be worth the switch but at the moment it is only recommended for developers. There is a chance of bricking your sansa with it, and unless you're going to help with development it's probably not something you want to try yet.

I hope that this helps,

Z.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:53 AM

The 1.02.xx firmwares don't work with Mac OS X. You have to find a PC and downgrade it to a 1.01.xx formware or take your chances with the 1.03 Hebrew beta firmware (yes, English is one of the language choices in the Hebrew beta).

I used the 1.03.01H beta for a while, but had enough problems with it that I went back to the 1.01.11A, until the full release of 1.03

bburge
os x 10.4.8

Old 02-22-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Firmware 1.01.11A

Where can I get a copy of the 1.01.11A firmware and how do I downgrade? I just got an e280 player last week and it came with 1.02.12A firmware. The player would sporadically show up on my desktop under this firmware vs. Since I upgraded to the 1.02.15A, the player shows up less often. I have to plug and unplug it several times to get it to work.

I'm using OSX10.4.8

thanks.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
why did u get an osx in the first place?
Probably not the best thing to ask.

I'm talking about the Macs at school, I use winxp at home. So that's why I need support for both Macs and PCs.

Anyway, I did download and install the Hebrew beta firmware, and tried it at school today and it worked! Which is great. I did experience a lock-up when adding a FM preset and listening to radio, but a 15sec shutdown fixed that.

I also e-mailed Sandisk, they replied saying the e200 series are not supported by Mac. I replied trying to get an official word on future firmware updates, pointing out that the Hebrew beta did work on Macs.

But thanks Zwack and andcheese, if I experience any drastic Hebrew beta problems I'll downgrade to 1.01.xx, and will also keep an eye on rockbox - hoping it will support Macs.

Admiral - I can't seem to find any previous firmware's on the Sandisk site, so you may be able to search these forums for a link or post your thread in the firmwares sub-forum.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:34 PM

Someone was nice enough to put together this:

http://zefie.com/files/sansa/e200/firmware/

but you have to have something to open .7z files.

Rockbox should be fine with Mac access...

bburge

Old 02-23-2007, 04:27 PM

Default A Mac Workaround

bb:
Thanks for the links.

Comsic:
Here's a workaround from "Arch85" who posted this link to his site on another thread. His work around is to plug in the Sansa into the Mac in MSC mode, disconnect and replug in MTP mode, unplug and replug in MSC mode again.

I've tried this a couple of times and it seems to be working everytime. Kinda of a pain, but probably better than trying to downgrade the firmware.

Can anyone see an issue with plugging in and unplugging the Sansa from the USB port? On the times I've done this, I always wait for the Sansa to power back up to ready mode.

******From his link:
Put your Sansa e series mp3 player on MSC Mode (Settings > USB Mode > MSC Mode). PLEASE NOTE: I was unable to get consecutive connections in MSC Mode; i.e. I connected first time in MSC mode, and it worked perfect -- then I disconnect and connect again, and it didn't work. The work around is that after everytime you connect in MSC mode, after disconnecting, put it back in MTP mode, connect again, disconnect, put it back in MSC mode, and then connect. --- yes, you need to connect in MTP mode before connecting in MSC mode for some reason. You might have a better luck than I did though.
Arch85's link:
http://www.ridesforall.com/archit/sa.../runOnMac.html

A.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:06 AM

Default sansa e280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
bb:
Thanks for the links.

Comsic:
Here's a workaround from "Arch85" who posted this link to his site on another thread. His work around is to plug in the Sansa into the Mac in MSC mode, disconnect and replug in MTP mode, unplug and replug in MSC mode again.

I've tried this a couple of times and it seems to be working everytime. Kinda of a pain, but probably better than trying to downgrade the firmware.

Can anyone see an issue with plugging in and unplugging the Sansa from the USB port? On the times I've done this, I always wait for the Sansa to power back up to ready mode.

******From his link:
Put your Sansa e series mp3 player on MSC Mode (Settings > USB Mode > MSC Mode). PLEASE NOTE: I was unable to get consecutive connections in MSC Mode; i.e. I connected first time in MSC mode, and it worked perfect -- then I disconnect and connect again, and it didn't work. The work around is that after everytime you connect in MSC mode, after disconnecting, put it back in MTP mode, connect again, disconnect, put it back in MSC mode, and then connect. --- yes, you need to connect in MTP mode before connecting in MSC mode for some reason. You might have a better luck than I did though.
Arch85's link:
http://www.ridesforall.com/archit/sa.../runOnMac.html

A.

I tried the following which did not work:

Turn off e280
turn on e280
switch to msc mode
plug e280 via usb to mac os tiger
unplug usb
e280 automatically reboots(***)
e280 turns on
switch to mtp mode
plug in e280 via usb to mac os tiger
unplug usb
switch e280 to msc mode
plug in e280 via usb to mac osx tiger

(***) note this.

My question is, should you reboot the e280 between connecting it via usb?
Which part are we connecting and disconnecting...the USBcord->CPU or the 280->USBcord?

Thanks muchly,
melisma
sandisk e280 running 01.02.07A and mac osx 10.4.9

Old 08-29-2007, 10:08 PM

Default Sansa 280 dirty hack

Well you can plug in another device and then plug in the Sansa and it seems to work.. Well this is what i did
Plugged in my nano ipod. pulled the plug with out ejecting.
then plugged in my sansa and it works..

Old 04-04-2009, 11:46 AM

Here's another workaround: install an app that toggles between making files invisible in the finder and visible (invisibliX is what I use). Seconds after you click on
Quote:
Show
you can connect your Sansa and see it on your desktop.