android
Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Thinking of buying a U2!

Hi,

I've been looking into getting myself a DAP recently and after browsing around this site I'm thinking a 2Gb U2 is pretty much what I need. My priorities are sound quality (to drive Grado RS60s whenever I can get away with sound leakage), build quality (I hate putting money into something that feels cheap), and convenient navigation through the files. From what I read, the U2 is all that, plus I like its look, size, and the internal rechargeable battery. However before going for it I have a few questions...

First of all, here in Canada (Vancouver) I can get the U2 for $140, which is somewhat more than I initially wanted to spend. On the other hand I could get a Creative MuVo V100 for $100, or a Insignia NS-DA2G for $120,...etc. Not a major price difference in the grand scheme of things but I just want to make sure that the U2 will be worth the difference.

One other thing is that I read that the U2 does not support gapless playback. Are there other players that do, without going to something considerably more expensive?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-20-2007, 08:08 AM

The U2 is a great player overall, same as all other Cowon/iAudio DAPs out there... only thing with the U2 is that it's not strong enough to drive many full-sized headphones with its 14mW amp. I have problems driving my 80 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT770 and my 55 Ohm AKG K141S with my friend's U2.

The 30mW U3 (or any other newer Cowon player) would be much better for Grado phones, even though it has a slightly unnecessary color screen.

You'll see/hear that Cowon players are worth the price - they definitely sound better than Sandisk or even Creative products (to my ears at least). Can't speak for the Insignia, but I assume it's in the same range as the Sansa.

Some newer Samsung players do have gapless playback, but from what I read it's not always working as expected. And the now extinct Rio players had gapless, too. But gapless isn't supported by all the other 99% of players out there, unfortunately.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Banned

I just ordered a U2 today along with a X5 so when they get here I can tell you what I think. I have heard so many say how good they sound so I decided to find out what the deal is with them. I have an Archos av500 and I think it sounds awesome. Many people said the Creative Zen Vision sounded better. I was sceptical so I bought one. I disagree myself that the Creative player sounded better so now I hear the Cowon players sound better. I am about to find out soon if this is true. I doubt it to be true but we will see.

I bought the X5 for me and I bought the U2 for my daughter because she just had her Nano stolen at school. I figure a Cowon will be a lot less likely to be a target for theft because it is not the in player.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:49 AM

Thanks for the very quick and helpful replies! I think my heart is pretty set on a Cowon by now....I can live without gapless.

One thing though is that my Grados are 32 Ohms. Is that enough to warrant going to the U3? The video capability is fully useless to me...

Also is the T2 worth looking at? I think battery life would be shorter but it does put out more power than the U2.

Thanks for the feedback, Hairback I'll try to wait for your opinion...do you know the ETA?

Old 02-21-2007, 02:09 AM
Banned

I would assume just a few days.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomez View Post
One thing though is that my Grados are 32 Ohms. Is that enough to warrant going to the U3?
Oh, they have so little impedance? In that case you should be fine with the U2. I thought they're over 50 Ohms.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:57 PM

Ahh excellent. I'm sure the U3 is great, but the U2 just looks so fresh and so clean...

I guess I'll wait a few more days.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Banned

I just got my UPS notification and my package is due Friday.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned

Well I got my package today. I am big time happy about this but may not help you any. LOL I got the package and whn I opened it up there was a D2 in the box not the U2. I have just started messing with it now. I haven't even opened the X5 as I may end up returning it for an A2.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 PM

Haha sweet....

I'm pretty much ready to buy it so I'll go ahead, and who knows, maybe I'll get a D2 as well!

Thank you both for the responses, I'm sure I'll be happy, no matter what model ends up in the box...

Old 02-23-2007, 11:35 PM
Banned

I have played with it for a few hours now and it is pretty sweet. I like it so far. It is a liitle confusing to operate at first but I am getting the hang of it now. I haven't figured out a few things yet.