android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-09-2006, 09:59 PM

Default What's wrong with the YP-T8?

Don't get me wrong... I'm a VERY happy Z5 user and its going to take a lot for me to defect. Before I chose the Z5, however, I did a lot of research on the Samsung YP-T8 and it seems that there is a huge discrepancy between user reviews and professional reviews -- YP-T8 users seem to go crazy over their devices, but professional reviewers seem to feel lukewarm about it.

So what's wrong with the YP-T8?

Even though the YP-T8 is over a year old, it has FM, Photo AND Video Capabilities, USB hosting, Games, a customized user EQ, Line In encoding (I think), and its actually shorter (albeit a tiny bit wider and thicker) than the Nano! I understand that this thing maxes out at 1GB, but shouldn't that make it a worthy contender for the 1GB Z5/Nano market? I've browsed user forums for this thing and it seems to be very stable and error free (unlike the current Sansa issues). I believe that it is also compatible with Subscription Services. I can't remember if it displays album art though. I HAVE heard, however, that video runs smoothly and that entire movies can be transferred with room to spare!

So what gives?!

Does the YP-T8 sound really bad? Is the interface horrible? Is the Samsung proprietary player software THAT bad?!

The only other drawbacks that immediately come to mind is that the form factor is very reminiscent of a cell phone and that the music is organized in a file tree structure.

On paper, this seems to address all the features that are highly in demand for flash players. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me why this thing hasn't sold like hotcakes. I saw the 512MB version on sale at Fry's Electronics (this was a month ago) for only $80 and I was pretty tempted to buy one on impulse -- I have a strong feeling that most vendors are going to be liquidating them soon at really cheap prices. Can someone please tell me what the problem is with these? I'm considering buying one as a present.

Thanks in advance,

Slydini

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]