android
Old 05-09-2006, 09:59 PM

Default What's wrong with the YP-T8?

Don't get me wrong... I'm a VERY happy Z5 user and its going to take a lot for me to defect. Before I chose the Z5, however, I did a lot of research on the Samsung YP-T8 and it seems that there is a huge discrepancy between user reviews and professional reviews -- YP-T8 users seem to go crazy over their devices, but professional reviewers seem to feel lukewarm about it.

So what's wrong with the YP-T8?

Even though the YP-T8 is over a year old, it has FM, Photo AND Video Capabilities, USB hosting, Games, a customized user EQ, Line In encoding (I think), and its actually shorter (albeit a tiny bit wider and thicker) than the Nano! I understand that this thing maxes out at 1GB, but shouldn't that make it a worthy contender for the 1GB Z5/Nano market? I've browsed user forums for this thing and it seems to be very stable and error free (unlike the current Sansa issues). I believe that it is also compatible with Subscription Services. I can't remember if it displays album art though. I HAVE heard, however, that video runs smoothly and that entire movies can be transferred with room to spare!

So what gives?!

Does the YP-T8 sound really bad? Is the interface horrible? Is the Samsung proprietary player software THAT bad?!

The only other drawbacks that immediately come to mind is that the form factor is very reminiscent of a cell phone and that the music is organized in a file tree structure.

On paper, this seems to address all the features that are highly in demand for flash players. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me why this thing hasn't sold like hotcakes. I saw the 512MB version on sale at Fry's Electronics (this was a month ago) for only $80 and I was pretty tempted to buy one on impulse -- I have a strong feeling that most vendors are going to be liquidating them soon at really cheap prices. Can someone please tell me what the problem is with these? I'm considering buying one as a present.

Thanks in advance,

Slydini

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-11-2006, 02:35 AM

i have no idea why pro reviews give it such a bad review but cnet asia gave it "editors choice" .. soo i cant relaly complain.

as a T8 owner (for 8months now). i love this to death.. unfortunately.. it's not working atm.. cuz i dropped it.. and audio cuts in and out (>_< shoudlve had the silicon case on ).. but it's a great player.. doesnt have many problems.. it's got a nice scree and the only real problem is .. the video converting process. its simple but i fancy the drag and drop like the creative vision:m. the tilt key isnt all that great.. kind of a problem when you want to flcik through songs quickly. but overall it's a nice player.. more people should stop worrying about ipods and start looking at wht alternatives they can get.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:16 AM

I own a T8 for almost 7 months and it has never disappointed once. It's a stable player, even when you are playing a 300 mb video. it is smooth and no lag at all.

Btw for T8 users, upgrade your F/W to Chinese F/W and the lyrics feature will be available. use your Lyrics Station software to mark the lyrics to your song.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:30 AM

I think the T8 is a device that splits Asian and Euro/US gadget freaks. Seems like a clash of philosophies. I would think that all the 'cute' features (games, screensaver, motion sensor) make the T8 look more like a feature-packed toy than a 'serious' DAP for many people. And also the 'cellphone-without-a-cellphone'-look might put off some people. It's announcend as a 'jack of all trades', which often tends to be a 'master of none'.

Mind you, I haven't tested the player, can't comment on its audio quality or usability. I don't dislike its looks, and I know that Samsung's audio quality is on the better side, usually (I own an YP-U1 2GB). It's just some reasons that came to mind why it might have gotten bad reviews in some places.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watanabe
I own a T8 for almost 7 months and it has never disappointed once. It's a stable player, even when you are playing a 300 mb video. it is smooth and no lag at all.

Btw for T8 users, upgrade your F/W to Chinese F/W and the lyrics feature will be available. use your Lyrics Station software to mark the lyrics to your song.
i agree with you. it's a stable player and good. sound quality is good because the feature DNSe enhances bass and 3d of the songs. which is a change from the normal rock, jazz, normal, classical and whatver..
i noticed this with the 1.36firmware that it supported lyrics.. but unfortunately didnt dispaly soem chinese song lyrics in the right language. it was all weird traditional letters and was completely off.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:50 AM

hmm i just turned up the Bass and 3D in the DNSe and it was enough for me. i dont listen to songs with a lot of bass. so i guess i wouldnt really notice.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:06 PM

Thumbs up

i want to ask about maximum bitrate for voice recorder and if some one has samples using voice recorder of yp-t8

Old 06-03-2006, 12:59 AM

^ check your pms mate

it's 192kbps max

Old 06-03-2006, 11:00 AM

Could I have that too?

Old 06-29-2006, 06:06 AM

movies are good .. i got 2 movies (About 180-200mb each) and thye run with no lag and load within seconds.. very quick. it's a nice player and i've had literally no problems with it ever.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:07 PM

I realize that I'm ressurrecting an old thread but I think I can give a few thoughts on why the T8's didn't go so well. I just picked one up recently and eventhough it's a year old I think it's features still make it fairly competetive. I have no complaints about it's features and I think it pulls them all off very well.

What I do have complaints about is it's overall behaviour. My biggest gripe is that it automatically starts playing on start-up. Something that could easily be fixed with an added settings option. Second, while playing audio files, the fade-in at the beginning of each song can be irritating as it tends to mess up the experience. My 3rd and last complaint is that it's always resetting the volume at shut-down. I mostly use my MP3 players while in my car and I have to set the volume at 35-37 (max is 40). It's rather annoying to have to up the volume everytime I step into the car. I can understand the reason it's there though. To keep people from destroying their eardrums by accident.

Keep in mind I'm using firmware V1.34US and maybe some of the issues were addressed in some of the later, non-US updates. I'll look into that.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:24 AM

Well.. I'm using 1.38 Kr F/W and that volume resetting issue dosen't exist.

You do listen on a very high volume, don't you? Ever consider getting a canalphone or IEM?

It's certainly bad for your ear.

I pair my T8 with PX100 and never go beyond 30. Mostly 10-15 for long time listening (30 min - 1 hour).

Old 09-16-2006, 04:10 PM

Odd...I upgraded to 1.38 KR firmware as well and the volume still resets. I probably did something wrong. I'll figure it out.

Thankfully I don't use the headphones at such a high volume. I plug the headphone-out into the auxiliary input of my car's stereo. Because the differences in power between headphone and dedicated line-out ports are so different I have to crank the volume to compensate.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
Odd...I upgraded to 1.38 KR firmware as well and the volume still resets. I probably did something wrong. I'll figure it out.

Thankfully I don't use the headphones at such a high volume. I plug the headphone-out into the auxiliary input of my car's stereo. Because the differences in power between headphone and dedicated line-out ports are so different I have to crank the volume to compensate.
The 1.39 KR does not correct the volume problem. If there is something that does let me know.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:27 AM

Red face

I don't know if anybody mentioned it already but with music, it doesn't sort it by song,artist,album,etc. When you see the song in the navigation menus it goes buy the file name. and if you added some songs then added more songs later, it wont automatically organize it alphabetically.