android
Old 12-23-2009, 05:21 PM

Cool Rockbox on a Zune?

I had rockbox on my old Sansa e250 and liked it alot.
Does anybody know if you are able to get it on a Zune?
Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-23-2009, 05:27 PM

The Zune 30 is basically a Toshiba Gigabeat with the Microsoft logo slapped on. Rockbox is functional on a few Toshiba players, but not the Zune so far.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Administrator

No.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:48 PM

Possible. But people have been trying to do it for years; the security Microsoft puts on the Zune's has foiled every attempt thus far.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedalin View Post
... people have been trying to do it for years; the security Microsoft puts on the Zune's has foiled every attempt thus far.
Funny how companies are about that, IMHO allowing open access would sell more players and if I knew I could run rockbox on a new zune, Iíd be first in line to buy one, unfortunately thatís not the case.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-25-2009, 11:48 AM

People are afraid of losing control.
The biggest problem with going open is that you get problems with software splintering, and Microsoft doesn't want that. Neither does Apple.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Why should they let you play your solo game with their devices while they have made them to bring you to their online music operations?

You want a stupid music device that mainly works with the music you already have? Why should they care for that music you are not going to pay them to get?

Just go with the Koreans, sell your pride to Samsung, iRiver or Cowon, you traitor to the american freedom and enterprise spirit!

Old 08-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Funny how companies are about that, IMHO allowing open access would sell more players and if I knew I could run rockbox on a new zune, Iíd be first in line to buy one, unfortunately thatís not the case.
yeah, I wouldnt have sold my z30 had it been rockboxable.......

Old 08-10-2010, 08:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sadly there is no Rockbox for any Zunes. I think that Rockbox on the Zune HD would be awesome, but that's not going to happen, at least not in this world!

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 08-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Banned

yeah, I really would like to see the RB team work with a site like mp4nation to port to the players they sell, Get mp4nation to supply some units for dev and it would pay off for them, I sent a PM to one of the admins on their forums, but no reply.

I really would love to see what rockbox could do on for example the s:flo2 compared to the OF (blah by most accounts, and you need to use XP to update the damn thing...laim!!!)

Old 08-14-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDougal View Post
Sadly there is no Rockbox for any Zunes. I think that Rockbox on the Zune HD would be awesome, but that's not going to happen, at least not in this world!
Actually it may soon be possible to run Rockbox on a Zune. As a part of the Google Summer of Code someone was working on Rockbox as an Application, and is now in the process of porting it to Android, and they actually have the sound working on his Android "Legend"

http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?...9977#msg169977

Last edited by SilverWolf; 08-14-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added link

Old 08-14-2010, 01:12 PM

Not sure what the Android port has to do with a Zune port. They're entirely different devices and operating systems. Rockbox as an application on a Linux phone makes sense, but since the Zune is an MP3 player and Microsoft would never allow an app like Rockbox, it would have to be hacked some way or another - and in that case it would be better to just replace the whole Zune stock firmware with Rockbox, as usual. But nobody is working on anything in those directions.

Somewhat unrelated, but here's another thread about this: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56630

Old 04-06-2011, 07:50 AM

Now that Microsoft is killing off the Zune will they open up the code to developers? Then maybe we could rockbox the zune.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve9271 View Post
Now that Microsoft is killing off the Zune will they open up the code to developers? Then maybe we could rockbox the zune.
It would be awesome if so, but highly unlikely. It's likely a large portion of the code used was also transitioned into the Windows 7 phone OS. While it may not be exactly alike, a person with enough knowledge could put the pieces together and "jailbreak" the phone. Perhaps if the phone is "jailbroken" then the Zune can be . . .

I just wish a person working at M$ development would issue the code to the wild . . .
With knowledge, comes great power.
With power, comes great responsibility.
With responsibility, comes great wisdom.