android
Old 10-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Surface 2

I just grabbed one yesterday, first impressions I really like it. I'm just beginning to get my wits about it, I'll do a review sometime down the line but if anyone has any questions feel free to fire away.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-24-2013, 10:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Please do report back. Did you get the "regular" or the Pro version?

I must say, they seem very impressive--I even caught myself telling someone that the Surface Pro's demonstrate the ingenuity and innovation that Apple didn't at its recent iPad, etc. show.

The only thing I don't like about them is, the equally stupendous pricing . . . .

Old 10-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I got the regular (RT) version (they're dropping the RT name, just calling it Surface 2), and i'll tell u why..

- I read a few reviews comparing the Pro and Regular (dam it, i'm calling it the RT) and the conclusions were quite interesting. Alot of reviewers were praising the RT version over the Pro, that somehow the extra power and ability of the Pro was pretty much overkill, that a full working Win 8 on a 10inch touch tablet was perhaps unnecessary. Whilst I don't agree fully I can see the point, the extra power drains the pro battery life more (despite Haswell), it gets more warmer etc. Anyone wanting to do real work on a win 8 platform is more likely to buy a proper ultrabook or desktop pc rather than a 10inch tablet. Then there is the oddity that the RT version has a better front webcam than the pro (1080p vs 720p), at least that's what I read (but didn't do enough dbl checking to see if its true). In the end the RT version seemed to tick all the necessary items at half the price so that's the reason I eventually went that route.

- I have been looking to replace my eeepc1000ha for quite sometime, what I was looking for was something that I could take on holidays, a second machine for my wife to use when on call (from work), this would require full working browser (flash etc) and Office. I also wanted the device to be used in an educational manner allowing my children to use flash enabled educational websites (as well as browsing on lego.com hehhehe). The surface appeared to do all this (and then some more).

- I already purchased 100gb of skydrive for $50 (last year, due to expire November this year), the idea of gaining a further 200gb for 2yrs free essentially lowered the price of the Surface 2 from $529AUD down to $429 seeing as I would most likely pay for this Skydrive fee anyway.

- We also use Skype a fair bit to make calls to family and friends overseas, so the 1080p cam and free international calls for the year was also an added bonus.

So in the end we got the 32gb RT version. First impressions and pics at a later date.

Last edited by BruceBanner; 10-25-2013 at 01:41 AM.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Ultra Senior Member

By any chance have you ever play around with the original Surface RT? I'm wondering how much faster the new one is. Thanks for all the info.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I only ever played with the original RT in store, it seemed fine to me but apparently the reports and reviews suggested it lagged here and there. Certainly every review I have read of the Surface 2 suggested it was more than sufficiently powerful to do everything you can throw at it and then some more. I haven't pushed my S2 properly yet tho, just having side by side apps open such as Skype+Fb and some things in background, but not once did it lag or stutter.

Here in oz the Original RT still retails for $375 vs the new for $529. When you consider the 200gb skydrive free for 2yrs I really don't see the merit in the older $375 RT, it's too overpriced, needs to be more like $200 (which was about what they were selling it for in schools and colleges with their educational discount thingy).

Old 10-25-2013, 04:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

http://gigaom.com/2013/10/25/first-l...-is-it-enough/

Old 10-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeh, I read heaps of reviews like that, in the end the Metro Store was and still is the weakest link. To be honest tho I bought the Surface 2 without even knowing there was an official Facebook app (for example), it didn't even phase me that there wasn't a fb app, why? Because there is a FULL working browser!
Same with imdb, I have tried the app variety (in iOS and android) and it doesn't include forums etc, I always used a browser tab/bookmark for that particular site anyway, so imo apps can be really over rated. Ask yerself if there is a website alternative instead of app, more often than not there is...

The surface 2 allows you to pin any website to the Start Menu, so you still can have the clean interface to launch 'apps' it just opens in IE11 instead (in either desktop mode or Metro mode).

At the end of the day all the reviews have come from a 'play' perspective (general public), quickly skimming over the advantages of a full working browser or office, and they overly focus on lack of apps etc.
Not once have I read how business's might benefit from the Surface 2, which imo is easily superior to ipads etc.

-------

My wife works for the aussie government, last year or so they were all issued with smartphones, they could choose android or apple, and then also some tablets were issued. I really didn't understand the logic at all in offering choice to the employees when half of them are over 45, completely clueless over technology, most went apple cuz they knew no better. Only after the fact were they complaining that they couldn't do this or that with their ipads/iphones/android devices...

I don't understand why the IT department were not more instrumental in deciding which platform to go with across the whole board so that everyone was on the same page etc. Anyway... alot of the gripes with the phones/ipads is that many can't use them to use their online webmail system, basically they need to use a full working browser by which they log in and the browser looks an awful like Outlook (in IE11 etc),
So it strikes me this tablet would most likely be able to satisfy these needs.

The Surface 2 is a hybrid and unique. I have an ipad2, a Nexus 7, but the Surface 2 is definitely the one I will pick up and use when I have 'work' to do on it... It's the working mans tablet.

Having Win 8 on my main desktop pc at home, I'm keen to see how the Surface 2 can behave with it, accessing files and folders, streaming films etc. Hopefully I will get some time to test all these possible features out in the coming days and get back to you all.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Microsoft cuts price of Surface Pro, makes it equal to iPad Air

Microsoft has decided to lower the price of its 64GB Surface Pro tablet to $699 (this is the Surface tablet that runs the full version of Windows, Windows 8 Pro). If you want something with a little more on board storage you can get a 128GB tablet for $799. This isnít the first time the price of a Surface tablet has been reduced to help clear out inventory but this time itís in an effort to make way for the new Pro 2 that recently hit the market.

This recent cut in prices has meant the Surface Pro has been reduced by $200 since it hit store shelves last year. This puts it on equal price footing with iPadís 64GB tablet and 128GB tablets and may make some people prefer it over the iPad because Surface Pro runs the full version of Windows while iPad still runs a mobile operating system.
http://dottech.org/132675/microsoft-...6fxYAlCpA4P.99

Old 10-25-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
they could choose android or apple, and then also some tablets were issued. I really didn't understand the logic at all in offering choice to the employees
The logic is IT is a service org. Not sure if you get the Nokia commercials down under that show apple vs. android people fighting it out, but it's just not realistic to mandate one platform over the other, as you'd immediately alienate a large portion of users.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It just wasn't thought out at all... how these devices would interact with the compauters already established at work (win 7), on-call, accessing files from work remotely etc etc... complete waste of tax payers money imo.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
It just wasn't thought out at all... how these devices would interact with the compauters already established at work (win 7), on-call, accessing files from work remotely etc etc... complete waste of tax payers money imo.
Seen plenty of that. The panacea everyone's thinking about is to get everyone boned up on IOS and android and then make them use their own devices, which has its own myriad of issues.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack. Definitely interested in your impressions on the surface after living with it for awhile.