android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-13-2006, 02:19 PM

Default Samsung YP-U2 User Review

This is just a quick review of this handy 1GB flash player, purchased in Canada.

I've had this mp3 player for about 3 weeks now. I did about two months of research before I finally bought an mp3 player, and while my iTunes enabled cellphone had me swaying toward an iPod product, I am glad I didn't go that route.

I compared various criteria, such as size, features, storage capacity, and battery life. What I liked about the Samsung was the direct USB connection, FM radio, tiny size, great looks, display window, and the 9-band equalizer. The EQ is amazing, but you'll want to invest in some better headphones to truly take advantage of the sound quality. I use Icemat's In-Ear headphones, and they sound great, with rich bass and clear hi's and mid's. It goes plenty loud too; I love my loud music, and I only get this thing up to 22/30 before my head starts shaking.

It is simple to use, right out of the box; the navigation is handled by id3 tags on your songs, and is very easy to get used to. The auto-resume feature is handy as well, and picks up right where you left it when you're listening to audiobooks or podcasts. Since you don't need any other cables to connect, you can plug it into your friend's computer and share music or other files too.

The player also supports various playback speeds, and adjustable search speeds, so you can quickly scan through that comedy set to get to your favourite part.

The CNet review states that there are some audible "clicks" at the beginning and end of each song, those can be easily turned off though in the settings.

The headphone jack placement did worry me before I bought this, as it sticks out from the side of the player, but once I started using it I found that it was an ideal spot to put it. It is comfortable to hold in your hand, and the jack doesn't get all stressed out and bent when it's in your pocket.

The only complaints I would have about this product would be that it doesn't come with a lanyard for your neck (not that I would use that much anyways), average battery life (14hrs), no FM recording, and that you have to wait until the system totally boots before turning the hold switch on, or else it shuts itself off.

Out of the box this is an MTP product, but you can change the firmware to turn it into a UMS capable player. I haven't found a need to change it over as of yet, so the MTP is fine for me, as it should be for most users.

All in all this is a great product, and is ideal for taking to the gym, on bike rides, or any other activity. For longer trips you are going to need a laptop or another desktop computer to plug it in to charge.

Pros:
Compact design
Multi-line display
No cables required
Many sound options
Loud output

Cons:
Average battery life
Poor included earbuds
No accessories included
No FM recording
FM reception not the greatest

DAP Review probably has the most comprehensive review of this player, it can be found here.

CNET's review is here.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]