android
Old 02-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Should I buy a Cowon Z2?

I'm posting this specific question in the vain hope some actual Z2 owners have subscribed to this thread and can be of help...

I'm a long term Cowon fan, I abuse the crap outta BBE/Jet Effect and love it <stands proud!>

My other fan DAP is sansa range which I think offer fantastic value for money, BUT... I always prefer the overall sound Cowon devices give over Sansa products.

Currently my main DAP is Cowon's i9+ (32gb). This allows me to have a 'best of'/stripped down music version, it's small and light (40g) making it exercise friendly.

If I were to buy another Cowon it would either be a 64gb version of an i9+ OR... something like the Z2 that acts as a bit of a PMP as well...

It is very attractive to me as someone who downloads 10gb 1080p movies to be able to drag and drop (without conversion) onto the player and watch on the go etc.. The Z2 does this pretty well so I hear. ASFAIK no other Cowon DAP can play huge 10+gb 1080p files without conversion??

There maybe the X9 or X7 or A5 but they are all hefty beasts, the Z2 is still under 120g, 8hr video, 20hr audio... it's enough to get by on for me..

At the same time I'd love to put a 64gb sd card inside the Z2 and have access to my entire music collection

My current phone is Nokia 808 (don't laugh, it is the best camera phone to date!), it's likely I will go Lumia 1020 in the future, therefore there are some relevant android apps I want that wont be ported to windows store anytime soon... It seems I will be destined for a 4g Lumia/windows phone (with good camera) and an android music device (for at least the next 3-5yrs).

So... without further ado my questions;

1) I'm interested purely in hearing BBE/Jeteffect. Do these DSPs exist at root? ie. can they be applied to videos as well as music? If I get Poweramp onto the player can BBE/Jeteffects be used here?

2) If some music exists on the internal memory, and some music on the external sd card, does the main stock music player (that uses BBE etc) merge the two databases to being one?

3) Can you build 'favourites' like other Cowon players can? ie create an on the go playlist (with using jeteffect/bbe ie stock player)

4) Is there a 'file limit'? I think other Cowon devices hit a barrier in this regard, is the Z2 different? Could you put 12,000 songs onto it?

5) Will this (in theory) be able to take the new 128gb microsdcard?

6) Is there a 'hold' button.. or at least the external tactile buttons work but screen/touch buttons are off in case of accidental brushing of forearm or whatever...

I think that's all..

Right now I can see a 16gb going for $300AUD... very tempted...

Last edited by BruceBanner; 02-25-2014 at 12:32 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Why would you load full 1080p movies onto a device with a screen that is 800x480? (and one that is 3.7" at that) That just doesn't make sense to me...lol.

There are any number of free softwares out there that would allow you to make smaller conversions ahead of time, to keep in a separate folder for mobile use.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Why would you load full 1080p movies onto a device with a screen that is 800x480? (and one that is 3.7" at that) That just doesn't make sense to me...lol.

There are any number of free softwares out there that would allow you to make smaller conversions ahead of time, to keep in a separate folder for mobile use.
It's a good point, and I agree with you. It's just I download 720p minimum of everything, I don't actively seek out 700mb avi files etc.. Even last nights episode of The Walking Dead at 720p was 3gb! Seeing as these exist already on the PC I just wanted to skip Handbrake etc and instead just drag n drop, even if the benefit of seeing 1080p on a subpar screen isn't actually there..

My experience of file conversion hasn't been great, long laborious, and to factor it in for for 4tb worth of material as well as every new download just so I might have the choice for on the go material easily is a hassle I want behind me (those days are over for me, I want drag n drop).

But then it might not even work anyway...

http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showth...580#post340580

On paper the Z2 does seem to be a decent Cowon device. Drag n drop ANY video file (up to and including 1080p), choice of different audio players, android therefore extra apps at yer disposal, BBE/Jeteffect, tactile media buttons etc etc
But there do seem to be more bugs and problems that need to be addressed with possible workarounds for me to commit to this...

Old 02-25-2014, 02:17 PM

I realize the J3 is long discontinued, but really, why not just buy one of those? I find it funny that a huge Cowon nut like you does not have a J3. I doubt you would pay much more for a good condition J3 than a Z2. I don't know the first thing about its video capabilities though.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've been looking, they sell like for around the same price as a Z2 brand new, and they sell very fast! I would love a J3.. :'(

The i9+ is about as perfect a DAP as i could wish for except it stops at 32gb, if it had a sd card slot I wouldn't fuss at all over a Z2.
But the other side of the coin is if I do buy a second Cowon player to accomodate my entire music collection (which should just fit on a 64gb card), then I might like to take advantage of video playback options also...
The X9 is the other possibility... It's cheaper (but heavier) but file conversion looks likely..

Don't you have an X9 Marv?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBanner View Post
I've been looking, they sell like for around the same price as a Z2 brand new, and they sell very fast! I would love a J3.. :'(

The i9+ is about as perfect a DAP as i could wish for except it stops at 32gb, if it had a sd card slot I wouldn't fuss at all over a Z2.
But the other side of the coin is if I do buy a second Cowon player to accomodate my entire music collection (which should just fit on a 64gb card), then I might like to take advantage of video playback options also...
The X9 is the other possibility... It's cheaper (but heavier) but file conversion looks likely..

Don't you have an X9 Marv?
Not anymore. TDS had it after me, and now AshenTech on iaudiophile has it.

I don't know if any Cowon (besides possibly the Z2) will really work for you with a 64GB card, because of the file limits. Have you tried one in your C2?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nah.. all I have is a 32gb card currently, I will also have to factor in the price of a 64gb card into the purchase.. :/

What were yer impressions of the X9. What made u pass it on?

Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Nah.. all I have is a 32gb card currently, I will also have to factor in the price of a 64gb card into the purchase.. :/

Don't have time to respond now....off to work. I'll try to remember about it later.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I don't know if any Cowon (besides possibly the Z2) will really work for you with a 64GB card, because of the file limits. Have you tried one in your C2?
Well according to the C2 manual it says the C2 Internal up to 12,000 files, of which media (music and video) has to be 8000 max and 4000 other files (I guess txt etc)
But it says the same again for Microsdcard, so basically 16,000 music files is possible (8000 on the Internal and 8000 on the external). My 64gb collection is sitting at 12,500 files, I know quite a bit of that is 128kbps that really ought to be 320kbps etc.
Thing is, my C2 is but a mere 4gb internal... putting a 64gb (or even a 128gb) card inside ain't gonna work... I might fill it up to 8000 files on the 64gb and STILL have space left (remember my whole 64gb collection is 12,500 files).... I would need a 32gb internal and a 64gb card to make what I'm after possible (and still have space left on the 64gb card because of reaching a 8000 file limit).

Old 02-26-2014, 12:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Best thing about it....battery never goes dead. I think I charged it 4 times in 3 months.

Plenty of power, a bazillion DSP presets, which mostly sounded artificial to me. Only way to fly is roll your own custom sound settings....and I could get about 95% of the sound of my Cowon custom setting on any DAP with Rockbox, along with Replaygain and menus that actually make sense.

The screen isn't worth watching video on, and you have to be deliberate in your actions with it (resistive screen). That screen is less responsive than the D2/D2+ screen, IMO, and you don't want to have to access it too close to the edge. Also, the USB cable is temperamental...likes to slide out of the player.

I actually don't remember what I traded it back to TDS for....lol.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I've decided to forgo the Z2, it's too much of an expensive gamble (reading so much about somethings working for some people and not for others etc, too much effort involved I fear). Right now I'm pimping my Fuze+ with Z02 and am getting some happy sounding results.

Phone wise I might get teh Galaxy S4 Zoom which can take a 64gb card (hopefully also a 128gb card). That might satisfy my camera needs and audio and android, might pair the Z02 with the s4 Zoom... we'll see.
For now i'll pimp my fuze+

Old 03-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I've decided to forgo the Z2, it's too much of an expensive gamble (reading so much about somethings working for some people and not for others etc, too much effort involved I fear). Right now I'm pimping my Fuze+ with Z02 and am getting some happy sounding results.

Phone wise I might get teh Galaxy S4 Zoom which can take a 64gb card (hopefully also a 128gb card). That might satisfy my camera needs and audio and android, might pair the Z02 with the s4 Zoom... we'll see.
For now i'll pimp my fuze+
Isn't that like putting lipstick on a pig?

I kid, with Rockbox the Fuze+ is tolerable....lol.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

lol.. poor fuze+!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:54 AM

If the Fuze+ had play/pause/ff/rw buttons, I probably would have kept mine.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawningistheday View Post
If the Fuze+ had play/pause/ff/rw buttons, I probably would have kept mine.
Yeh, it's not very pocketable friendly, u have no control blind with this thing.
I sat down playing with it on the train, it's a great size to have in yer hands and mess around with, displaying lyrics etc (nice large screen), but at the end of the day as soon as you place it in hold and put away yer stuck.

I wonder... would line in control on headphones work on this? Even a simple play pause control on the headphone wire would help heaps... I don't have any IEMs with line in to test anymore...

I posted on rockbox forums about trying to see if it was possible to get the volume buttons as 'skip/previous' like Cowon players. Perhaps a long press of one of them would play/pause etc. 137 views and 0 replies (posted months ago), seems to have fallen on deaf ears.
The 'hold' feature that Cowon players have that still allow the tactile buttons to have functions I think is massive advantage, I couldn't live without it. It's pretty much made the Fuze+ as my 'train commute only' player ie something I have in my hands all the time (which is a bit of a shame).