android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2011, 02:48 PM

Default Best Listening Headphones (Under ~$500)?

Right now I have Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (~$150 at the time) headphones. When I got these I was amazed at how much better music sounds, compared to my previous cheap headphones. I think I'm ready to upgrade, because I really enjoy quality sound.

What I'm looking for is comfortable headphones that, most importantly, put out extremely high quality sound.

My only complaint about my HD 280 Pro is this: They're completely closed, so for extended listening my ears get tired/hot. I would prefer open air headphones if they're more comfortable, but I don't think I'd want to sacrifice sound quality much for this.

Also, I don't know why, but it seems to fatigue my ears after a while. I don't know if this is unavoidable with high quality sound, but I'd imagine different headphones have different 'personalities'. I heard that, for example, the HD 650 is sort of more "mellow", but I am not an "audiophile" so I'm not sure exactly what that means for headphones with unmodified sound output (like no bass boost).

I'm willing to pay up to $500, but only if it's something that will last me for a very long time.

Also, I don't have any special sound card and don't want one, because I can't install a sound card in my laptop/ipod/etc. for example. Even if I bought a sound card for my desktop, then I'd feel tethered to that one computer which I don't want.

P.S. Also, I listen to a variety of music: Classical, r&b, pop, etc., if that matters at all.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]